Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242728 by daveinkent
11 May 2006, 16:13
This is my first V-Flyer report so my apologies if it is not as detailed as some.
We booked our trip to Las Vegas several months earlier. I have flown in Virgin economy class before, but as I weigh nearly 400 pounds and my wife 300 pounds ( don't tell her I told you!) we decided that it would be uncomfortable for both us and any passengers sitting next to us,for over 10 hours, so we went for the Z Upper class fare.
We arrived at Gatwick 3 hours prior to departure. There were long lines for economy but none for PE or Upper, so already we felt the extra money was well spent.
Very friendly check in staff gave us our lounge passes, so off we went to relax before the flight. The lounge was good, but not as good as some First class lounges for other airlines I have experienced, but still very nice. I hate eating on board so the meal was very welcome.
Our flight was called and we endure the long trek to the Satelite terminal now that the monorail has gone.
Had the lovely feeling of turning left towards UC and were delighted by the seats.
The flight deck informed us it would be a quick 10 hour westbound crossing on board the Barbarella with good weather all the way. As I hate turbulence this was good news to me. With 430 passengers on board.
Following a glass of champagne we departed on time and quickly reached our initial altitude of 31,000 ft.
The freedom menu was good and my wife tucked into the 3 course menu whilst I selected the lighter bite option (see diet working already!)
It was a smooth crossing and we enjoyed the entertainment system as well as a very attentive and friendly cabin crew who made the flight very enjoyable.
Before we landed the FSD came on with useful information about arriving in the USA, especially about food and drink being forbidden as one cabin crew member had earlier been fined 500 for taking in an Orange and Banana.
We landed 20 minutes early in LAS. Because there was only 18 UC seats, you had to go through a section of economy before the door.
I was not happy that some UC passengers decided to barge their way through and one girl in economy got her foot injured by someone running over her foot with a trolley. No excuse for that!
However I can understand why people rush as the lines for immigration are huge. And one piece of advice, please fill in those Green forms correctly as I saw one disabled couple sent to the back of the line for not doing it properly.
Once through we were off for 8 days in Vegas.
Was it worth paying all that extra for UC? Oh yes!! and thank you Virgin for a wonderful flight!
#352268 by Nottingham Nick
11 May 2006, 16:57
Pleased the flight lived up to expectations. [y]

I thought that US Immigration was more 'user friendly' now. Clearly not if they are still sending people to the back of the queue, for making a mistake. [V]

Nick
#352282 by Scrooge
11 May 2006, 18:17
Happy that the flight lived up to your expexctations [y].

Do me a favour and at some point go here and give a brief review of the hotel you stayed in.

thanks

Dave
#352315 by Richard28
11 May 2006, 20:15
Great TR - it's great that your flight lived up to expectations after months of anticipation!

nasty with the trolley running over the girls foot - like you say no excuse for that.
#352399 by andy.g
12 May 2006, 01:04
Great first TR, glad you thought UC worth the added cost[y]
#352463 by ChuckC
12 May 2006, 14:02
Dave,
You did a great job on your first TR. Glad you enjoyed the flight.

On arrival were the flight attendants not at the door to hold back Y pax until UC had disembarked?

Chuck-
#352520 by Jonathan
12 May 2006, 17:45
Dave,
I'm glad your fist flight was a good one - shame the return wasnt as good..
Virgin Atlantic