Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243049 by jamie
28 May 2006, 11:52
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Decided to leave the luxury of the Trump Towers in Miami just before lunchtime to start the journey back up to MCO for our flight home. It took 3 hours to drive down and we wanted to spend some time in the Delta lounge before the flight.

Set off at 11.30 and headed up the I-95 trying to get on the turnpike. Somehow managed to get lost after Police closed part of the road and the traffic was quite heavy most of the way. Arrived at MCO and dropped the car off at 15.30 and went straight to check-in.

Check-in looked chaotic in Economy and there was only 1 couple in front of us at the Upper Class check-in, where we waited and waited the couple had loads of bags to check-in and appeared to still be packing (or re-packing) them. They went to lift one of the bags onto the scales and surprise surprise it weighed over 40kgs. Top marks to the check-in agent for refusing to take anything over 32kgs.

Guess what happened next.. Suitcases on the floor and they started to re-pack while we stood thereand stood there. _ hour after we arrived at check-in we were processed. She was quick and efficient and polite and apologised for the antics of the couple in front of us.

Asked if there was a fast track through security but informed that facility does not exist at Orlando. The queues to get through security were long so we headed to the left hand side where there were a lot less people. Made our way to the DL crown lounge by which time it was 17.00. Had a quick couple of drinks and before we knew it we were being called for boarding at 17.20. The lounge is quite big but it is shared with other airlines so it seemed very busy. No food as such, just pretzel type things.

Priority boarding lane was used and we quickly boarded the aircraft. Had a couple of Champagnes while everyone boarded and it looked like there might have been 1 empty seat in upper but that was soon taken right at the last minute by a former world no1 tennis player just as the doors were closing. We were waiting for ages while they loaded the cargo and I think we were 45/50 mins late leaving in the end. Oh, Mr & Mrs Excess Baggage were sat in front of us guess what? They wanted all the overhead bin space for themselves thank goodness we boarded early!

Quick pushback and taxi before take off. I ordered the roasted veg for starters and the steak. Was lovely again. Sun was setting just after the meal was finished. Had a couple of drinks and it was at this point we met the FSM who offered more top ups with wine etc. No introductions etc like on the way out but friendly.

Had my bed made up ready to get some rest. However, I was too full to sleep! Think I managed to nod off for a bit but it wasnt long before the bumps started as we got a tailwind over the Atlantic. Turns out the bumps were a bonus as it helped us make up some time.

A couple of pax were trying every different wine and food you guessed it, the couple in front of us at check-in! The crew were running round after these 2 for a long time and the strain was showing a bit.

Breakfast was served in bed, which I do like. Had enough time to get changed just as we were approaching Plymouth. Landed a bit late at 07.25 Bags were quickly off and we were on our way home.

Crew were polite but not like on the trip outbound. Good flight home really
#354949 by buns
28 May 2006, 12:36
Jamie

Thanks for an excellent TR[y] The antics of fellow passengers raised a smile with Mrs buns and myself, being that MCO is our usual destination[;)][;)]. I am surprised that you were not directed to a PE Desk, as this has happened to us before.

The queues to get through security were long so we headed to the left hand side where there were a lot less people.

This is a good tip, Mrs buns and I usually pop upstairs to McCoys to grab a bite to eat (in the absence of a Clubhouse, it is good to have a hearty meal before an overnight flight) and the down escalator brings you to that left hand side which invariably is shorter.

buns
#354960 by mitchja
28 May 2006, 15:10
Excellent TR thanks Jamie [y]

It does seem VS are clamping down on checked and cabin baggage weight, especially at remote stations, at the moment - mind you, over 40kg is OTT [:0]

Regards
#355009 by jamie
28 May 2006, 20:44
Buns,

Thanks for that. I must have got this info from one of your previous T/R's aboy the left hand queues being less. Cheers
#355015 by Nottingham Nick
28 May 2006, 21:55
Thanks Jamie,

Were the 'excess baggage couple' Brits who had found the lure of the Malls in Florida too much?

Nick
#355735 by jamie
01 Jun 2006, 22:07
They certainly were... although strange choices of presents....i.e 2 litre bottles of 'Listerine Mouthwash'!
#355793 by MarkJ
02 Jun 2006, 09:36
Good TR Jamie - I can just see myself on the road going from MIA to MCO and being in a traffic jam - its that slight bead of sweat that appears on your upper lip that gives away the stress caused isn't it???

And Im surprised that you were not allowed to queue jump the heavy bag people - I guess they didnt do the one case inside another trick that some of the more experienced v-flyers use( no names to protect the guilty[:I])
Virgin Atlantic