Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243159 by mysteryflyer
02 Jun 2006, 07:43
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Heathrow Airport Terminal Three

I checked in online the night before. No sign of an operational upgrade. Unlikely anyhow as its half term and flights are full.

Check in was fast and no bag weighing nonsense for my laptop bag

Heathrow security was ok. Not too long - 10 minutes at most.
Clubhouse

Off to the club house then. Im soon enjoying a haircut at the cowshed. Then a leisurely breakfast and read of the paper with coffee.

Gate Security
I wandered down to the gate but there was a problem I could tell. The BAA security people were telling people to sit down and not form a queue. Quite rudely or at least with no customer skills evident. 'Were not boarding just sit down' - charming. Not Virgin staff I hasten to add although Virgin Staff were in abundance and ignoring...

Then they told me it would be 20 minutes before boarding could begin so I wandered away to get a coffee. As I got to the coffee area the boarding was announced and so I went back again to board. This is going to be one of those days I thought....

The premium check in was roped off so I queued. 'No point standing there we are boarding by seat row number' said the BAA security guy. 'Im in premium - Its priority boarding - it says so on the sign there...' I said.

'No point standing there we are boarding by seat row number' was his reply exactly like a Vogon in Hitchhikers Guide - if you could stretch your imagination to the Vogons being from Slough.

Chaos ensued.

They called by row number with everyone standing in the way waiting for their row to be called and seemingly nobody boarding. It was like everyone waiting for the fire alarm in Fawlty Towers.

'Please sit down' said the vogon.

Everyone ignored him.

'Can I sit in there where the priority area seems to be set up' said a brave fellow premium economy passenger..

'No'Said the Vogon.

Inexplicably he then waved me through, although my row had not been called and nobody else followed me for 5 to 10 minutes. Consistency. Every time it gets to me a little bit more.
Departure and onboard
The plane was an hour late departing.

Once onboard I sat down in my Premium Economy Seat 77A. Nice seat. The back row so nobody behind to moan about reclining. The flight attendants brought round a glass of champagne and even a couple of refills - presumably because no other premiums had boarded - they were still waiting for the Vogon to capitulate.

The captain announced that the delay was because of a faulty door chute deplyment at New York which had to be repaired. Take off at 12:30 an hour late.

The food was very good standard economy class fare. I chose chicken and it was edible. The seat back TV system had a wide selection of movies and channels with the ability to pause or restart. The skymap was a little old fashioned. Food service included drinks. Too many I guess. 2 Gin and Tonics before meal, wine during meal, cognac after. Soon I was asleep.

During the flight paninis and snacks and water were served.
Laptop power meant that I could play 'need for speed underground 2' when I couldnt sleep. The laptop power connector digs into my leg though - its in a stupid place.
Arrival

On arrival I was first out ad first to a deserted immigration check. It was unexpectedbut I was through in less than 5minutes. Quite amazing for the UA these days.

My bag seemed to take forever to come to reclaim and another persons bag hit me in the legs after hurtling down the chute.

I caught the flyaway bus to Los Angeles Union Station to catch my onward connection by train on the Pacific Surfliner. Its a nice connection. It takes an hour but its so nice to be on a US train and hear an american shout 'board' like something out of Casey Jones...
Overall

Overall a very enjoyable flight. Virgin was comfortable.
Actual Mileage credited
Silver Membership Offer 25% Miles Flown Bonus: 1,388
Virgin Atlantic, LHR-LAX Premium Economy: 8,163
Tier Points: 3
Last Updated ( Saturday, 03 June 2006 )

You can read other reports and see pictures at my website which is in my profile.
#355792 by MarkJ
02 Jun 2006, 09:25
Enjoyable Trip Report - liked the bit about the Vogon!![y]
#355795 by VS045
02 Jun 2006, 09:47
Thanks mysteryflyer![^]

Sorry about the boarding fiasco[;)]

VS.
#355853 by Lipstick
02 Jun 2006, 15:34
Lol i'll take that 'boarding fiasco' with a pinch of salt!!

Namely as it mentions the BAA Security and sounds like they are representing VS by saying things like 'We're not boarding'....that can't be right!!

A good giggle though!
#356472 by mysteryflyer
07 Jun 2006, 03:16
I posted all of it and removed the link to my website as requested...
#356508 by iforres1
07 Jun 2006, 09:36
Good old BAA security, although we always have problems with Securicor checking Mrs F's passport, they really should know the answers to the questions they ask. E.g 'Do you have a visa for Dubai?', Mrs F@s quirk reply 'you tell me, your holding the passport'[:w]

Iain
#356530 by GatorBaiter
07 Jun 2006, 13:55
Enjoyed your TR...glad you posted on here. It sounds like you were subjected to a similar fiasco to myself with regard to priority boarding. Get it sorted!

Mind you, I most certainly wasn't going to be rocking the boat to any extent given that one of the security chaps around the gate area was a retailer that I, er had to 'let go' when I was an area manager [:0][:I]
Virgin Atlantic