Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243662 by ade99
29 Jun 2006, 15:46
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So after a bit of a fuss in the Clubhouse we managed to get our flights switch to the later LAX with connection to SFO later that night (thanks to a very helpful concierge Debbie -who has this thing about you mentioning her name to everybody you meet!!!)

Ordered the Eggs Benedict (although I think trading standards should step in here and remove the pleural!!!) Washed down with a couple of glasses of bucks fizz. This was the first time we had seen the completed lounge and it was great. Why is the smoking area right next to the window?? We went upstairs to the sky-loft thingy and loved the comfy seats. Went to the garden - what there is of it as there's a great big car on the roof!! No chance of lunch out there.
Nice lunch and some more bubbly before Debbie came and got us and walked us to the gate. Quick kiss goodbye and a box of chocs for her help and we were first on the plane, G-VFIT only it's ninth round trip and it still smelt that new plane smell.

Pre-take off drinks and then an American couple sat next to us. They started to create such a fuss because they didn't want to face anyone else in their 15/16K. Luckily J was only 25% full so the moved the other side, which meant they could see us and we could see them a lot clearer - but I promise I didn't make faces at them. Next came four already tipsy young scandanavian lads who order some bubbly and beer. Bubbly was given out and the beer would be ready after take off. IFBT came around and we said no thanks as we wanted to get some ZZZZs.

After take off the lads got their beers (several in fact) and the meal order was taken. We hadn't been on a VS flight for a couple of months and were looking forward to trying out the TKM. The senior came back a few minutes later and apologised that all they had left was the porky white's. That's fine but I hope they bring back the Best of British every couple of rotations as it's really good. Sausages were good and the Bacchus from Kent was very nice (we have this things about UK wines and if anyone ever gets to taste a Denbies Surrey Gold buy a case load). Desert was OK, what can you expect from a fruit crumble done at 37,000.

So we settled down and our noisey four lads decided that they could have drink on demand at the bar. So for four and a half hours they kept themselves entertained with whatever they could find on the bar as well as flirting with the crew, us and any other passers by. Close to hour five I think they decided they needed to pass out so they returned to their beds. Now we all know how hot these beds can become so the decided to get out of their tops and trousers and then walk up to the bar in their CKs flaunting themselves for a bottle of water before they passed out.
At this point our American couple decided to complain to the FSM about their attire (or lack of it) he explained that one of them was a scandanavian football player and he and his friends were off to the US. 'Oh that's fine they're just guys out enjoying themselves away from their girls probably' said the American gentleman to his wife. A few sniggers from the crew followed but it went over their heads.
So we decided to pop up to the bar for a drink or two and had a good chat to a lot of the crew. Turns out most of them live down the road from us and we were chatting about places to rent and buy around the area (much better than the usual where have you been recently and where are you going) Then the senior decided that we should all get together and sort out one of the junior's love life and if he should move in with his boyfriend. At this point we were joined by the Amecian gentleman who mentioned how good it was to see some football players enjoying themselves and then proceeded to ask us and the crew if we played too. We politely said no and he proceeded on telling all the crew and us how it's such a great man's game and bla bla bla. At this point the senior went off to do her lippy and we decided to finish watching the pink panther.

Anyway soon afternoon tea came around and the cakes were offered out shortly afterwards. Our football couples woke up just as the senior was asking them if they would like a fairy cake or a brownie. Several sniggers from the crew behind the curtain turned her redder than her recently applied lippy and I could swear I saw a fairy cake being thrown at the FSM afterwards.

Soon we were on the ground and the biggest shock of my life, no line at immigration. We sailed through with one problem being the immigration guy decided he detested staples. Now if your passport is like mine there's hundreds of them attached from the bit of the I90 that they rip out on your exit. So he removed every single staple and jsut placed my return green slip in the passport (and guess what we both lost ours so had to fill duplicate ones in at SFO on the way back)

All in all a fantastic flight, one of those flights that really stand out and make virgin what it is and one that makes you proud to fly with them for their friendliness, skill and sense of humour. Well done VS[y]
#360102 by Mavrick
29 Jun 2006, 16:14
Nice TR, Ade99 thank you I was on VS:23 about 6 weeks ago and it was one of the best UC. flight I've had in a while. [y] [:)]
#360107 by Airbus340
29 Jun 2006, 16:36
Quote:
'no line at immigration. We sailed through'

I was also on vs23 a couple of months ago and was about the 3rd person in the que for immigration!

Great TR by the way!
#360108 by Decker
29 Jun 2006, 16:37
Brill TR thanks Ade. Most amusing about the young gentlemen and the fairy cakes. Sounds like a more unusually skewed demographic than usual [:)].

Good news on the immigration front too! Enjoy your time in SFO [y].
#360156 by ade99
29 Jun 2006, 23:04
Originally posted by Decker
Brill TR thanks Ade. Most amusing about the young gentlemen and the fairy cakes. Sounds like a more unusually skewed demographic than usual {:)].

Good news on the immigration front too! Enjoy your time in SFO [y].

It was just one of those classic moments when she said something and it was dawning on her what she was saying but it was too late to close the mouth. Plus the crew wouldn't let her live it down for the rest of the flight.
#360220 by pjh
30 Jun 2006, 15:12
Great Trip Report..I do enjoy reading these. Maybe one day I'll get to the pointy end and write one of my own..

Originally posted by ade99
Soon we were on the ground and the biggest shock of my life, no line at immigration. We sailed through with one problem being the immigration guy decided he detested staples. Now if your passport is like mine there's hundreds of them attached from the bit of the I90 that they rip out on your exit. So he removed every single staple and jsut placed my return green slip in the passport (and guess what we both lost ours so had to fill duplicate ones in at SFO on the way back)

They did the staple removing thing at LAX around Easter.

Paul
#360293 by VS045
30 Jun 2006, 20:15
Is it really suitable for people to be behaving like that in a premium cabin - imagine what would happen if this was BA[;)] Still, a bit of decorum can never go amiss[}:)]

VS.
#360674 by ade99
03 Jul 2006, 15:21
Originally posted by VS045
Is it really suitable for people to be behaving like that in a premium cabin - imagine what would happen if this was BA[;)] Still, a bit of decorum can never go amiss[}:)]

VS.

Do you mean the pax or the crew?? [:D]
#360689 by ChuckC
03 Jul 2006, 16:23
Excellent report and thank you, ade. I really am surprised that the CKs were considered allowable attire.

Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic