Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243856 by mysteryflyer
12 Jul 2006, 06:23
Arrival

Well certainly my cheapest trip to LHR. 1.50 on the X26 bus from Worcester Park. Bus at 0715, T3 at 0820. I really cant drive it that fast. Its an express bus and it has its own lanes. It works for me!

Check in

OLCI let me get 31K. Not brilliant but a window at least. DIY bag drop was painless although they made me check my 400g overweight bag. (BA have a great new hand bag system, so to all US carriers - please note VS 6KG system is outmoded)

Security

Nightmare. When will this get better? Its as if every day is the first day they had this many passengers....

Clubhouse

bmi *G got me in. I had a lovely breakfast and a trip to the 'garden' (not much of a garden). Tried to pay for a better seat. Nothing doing even though my ticket was over 1200 for full fare Y class.

Boarding

Awful. Long queues to the gate. Usual Overbearing impolite BAA security staff.

Flight
Got to my seat. Sat down. Took off, Put my iPod on and slept until Greenland. Missed the food (didnt care after the CH breakfast). Watched three movies dozing sporadically.

Noticed the person in 30k was getting champers from Upper every five minutes. Must be a birthday/wedding/VS friend. Others nearby seemed fed up about it but I dont really care. Im too tired today anyway to drink.

Rotten panini served which really needed to be declared as a heat and stained shirt hazard. Cheap Choc Ice also served. Tasteless Triangle sandich served too with coffee. Mustnt grumble.

Landed on time. Out almost first from Y for the run to Passport Control. Always try to run as it can shave 30 minutes off the queue time being 2 minutes ahead of everyone else and/or Korean Air.

Changing planes to United today so into the United Terminal for something nice to eat. Found a Chines place by the Red Carpet Lounge which served a wicked Pot Sticker/Noodle/Orange Chicken combo for 16. Cant help thinking they should do the VS catering. It would be fab.
Off to theRed Carpet Club which is a lovely quiet place to wait for my late Seattle flight.

Overall it was a good flight as didnt need any frills - I slept the early part and got into the right timezone early on!

Actual points:

10 Jul 2006 Silver Membership Offer. 25% Miles Flown Bonus 1,340
10 Jul 2006 Virgin Atlantic, LHR-SFO Economy 5,358 2 tier points
#362105 by Decker
12 Jul 2006, 09:01
Worcester Park? My SiL lives there... shame about the M&S.

Thanks for the TR! Seattle huh? We've got to do that in Jan - still debating VS vs BA...
#362141 by mysteryflyer
12 Jul 2006, 13:53
You should consider SAS via CPH too. In flight internet all the way. CPH is a nice stopover. Star Alliance reward flights potential if you have them.

Once you get there there is loads to do - Pikes Place Market, Starbucks opposite (the very first one), Boeing, Museum of Flight just to name a few...
#362197 by n/a
12 Jul 2006, 18:36
I am happy you were able to go to Seattle -- my current place of residence.

As for your 'mustn't grumble' comment -- yes you MUST! If you don't, we'll be shoveling down crap food till Greenland freezes over (again, after global warming).

Thanks for the TR -- especially interesting to see how the Y experience is holding up.

GJ
#362213 by mysteryflyer
12 Jul 2006, 19:32
Nice meetings completed in Redmond with Redmonds finest taxpaying coropration. Now on my way to Mountain View to complete my week of meeting hell....

Didnt really see much of Seattle this time around unless you count the SEATAC Hilton (avoid) and the Mall near Albany (Eddie Bauer Outlet) and the freeway to Redmond....

I agree about the food will feed back to VS that the paninis suck
#362243 by jaguarpig
12 Jul 2006, 20:52
Thanks for the report,Love SEA and 'comic book guy's' shop at Pike market(indoor part)always spend a fortune.Also the brew pub near the Olympic hotel where we got well and truly smashed,weak US beer and all that, big mistake[:$][|)][:D]
Virgin Atlantic