Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244216 by jilly
01 Aug 2006, 17:29
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a wonderful couple of weeks at the villa and copious amounts of food and drink it was time to come home and definitely go on a diet[:I]

Checked in at DTD as we had lots of luggage - arrived at 8.30am and there was no queue. The agent said the busy time was from around 9.30 to 11am. Asked for two rear seats 63A and C which I hoped would be more comfortable than the outward. The rest of the party were a few rows further forward.

Got to the airport at 6.15pm and just had time for the smokers to have a last puff before going through security which was surprisingly quiet and by the time we got to gate 83 the plane was boarding.

There was definitely more legroom and width in row 63 and the only reason I didn't pick them for the outward was because of the immigration queues. I think if I did a Y flight again I would sit at the back of the plane both ways.

G & Ts served pretty quickly after take off and meals pretty soon after that. I had the chicken pasta and key lime pie which I thought was lovely. Much better than the GU dessert on the outward (I know I might be in the minority here).

Slept pretty well for a few hours but my husbands legs may have suffered - being short I could manage to put them on his knee[y]. I didn't have breakfast but it was the usual muffin and fruit.

Landed on time and luggage was off very quickly and after a short stop for caffeine we were on our way home.
#365096 by pjh
01 Aug 2006, 18:11
Originally posted by jilly

There was definitely more legroom and width in row 63 and the only reason I didn't pick them for the outward was because of the immigration queues. I think if I did a Y flight again I would sit at the back of the plane both ways.

Thanks for the TR. We always have tried to bag the back rows for the reasons you state - they do make a flight more comfortable and a possible delay in the immigration hall is (possibly) the price you pay.

Did you feel the Y experience was appropriate for the ticket price ?

Paul
#365147 by buns
01 Aug 2006, 21:08
Jilly

Thanks for the TR on this widely used route[y]

Checked in at DTD as we had lots of luggage - arrived at 8.30am and there was no queue. The agent said the busy time was from around 9.30 to 11am.

A v useful tip - thanks[y][y]

buns
#365175 by jilly
01 Aug 2006, 23:48
Originally posted by pjh

Paul

At £900+ on a companion ticket it was only just slightly cheaper than two M+M fares but I did of course get full miles and TPs. If it hadn't been for friends wanting to travel on those particular dates I would avoid July and August altogther and spend my cash in PE or UCS other times of the year.

I suppose not everyone has the choice to travel outside the school holidays so compared to other airlines it was still value for money as far as I was concerned.

Jilly
#365284 by pjh
02 Aug 2006, 12:02
Originally posted by jilly
Originally posted by pjh

Paul

At £900+ on a companion ticket it was only just slightly cheaper than two M+M fares but I did of course get full miles and TPs. If it hadn't been for friends wanting to travel on those particular dates I would avoid July and August altogther and spend my cash in PE or UCS other times of the year.

I suppose not everyone has the choice to travel outside the school holidays so compared to other airlines it was still value for money as far as I was concerned.

Jilly

I look forward to those days...unfortunately they will be some time a'comin as my partner is a head teacher. No mysterious illnesses allowed before term end.
Virgin Atlantic