Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244252 by londonguy
03 Aug 2006, 10:04
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So it finally arrived!!! Holiday day!! (first trip report so be nice folks :) ).

We decided to go on Virgin as I had a really good experience with them about eight years ago.

Turned up about 4/5 hours early to avoid check-in qs and we did as it was nearly empty! We asked for one of the two seaters at the back but they didnt have it. We got an isle seat in the middle of the plane. Also, the seat next to my partner was empty, so she had a bit more space, which was nice!

I think the IFE was Odyssey. Had a small menu with the movies, TV channels and games! I thought I might get Nintendo games but no :(. It was a load of custom made games like mini-golf and chess. I liked the fact you could play other people in the plane (which I did and lost!) however, the games were very VERY slow! Which was a bit rubbish! Film/TV selection was good, shame the screen is a bit fuzy! Also, my sound didnt work so I asked for an adapter so I could listen to the other halfs sound (as we watched the same thing), this took 45 mins to arrive and had to ask twice!

EDIT: Also, was happy with the seats, good legroom and seemed comfy enough!

Food was OK (although my partner was a bit ill when we finally landed but may not be the food). It was lemon chicken and potatoes, I found it pleasant enough!

Service was alright, staff seemed to disappear about half way through the flight, not sure where they went! However, apart from two really nice and sweet cabin crew, overall I wasnt impressed that much. For example, while they were handing out food, two of them were gossiping to each other all the time, they briefly made eye contact and rudely asked what we wanted. I found the overall level of server low compared to (dare I say on this site, BA!). Ive read many comments about the Orlando route not being taken too seriously by members of VA, maybe thats why??

The flight was fine apart from when we got to orlando!! We started to land and then it got a bit bumpy, the el-cap-a-tain came on the speaker and said Sorry about that folks, we decided against landing as it got a bit bumpy there. There is a bit of a storm around the airport so we are gonna circle it for a while and hope it clears. Then an hour later.ding dong. Hi folks, well it looks like the storm wont move and we are running low on fuel so we are going to land at tampa to re-fuel then we will be on our way back to orlando.
AGH!!! Im not a great flyer (but not a terribly bad one) so I was a bit worried!

Landed at tampa, refuelled, and off we went to orlando!

We also got very confused at Orlando Airport, you pick your bags up and then need to give them away again to be x-rayed?? To only have to pick them up at the other terminal!!! Very confusing!!!

Upper Class return report soon!
#365511 by Monkey
03 Aug 2006, 10:27
Thaks for the TR hope you had a good stay!

Why can't they operate a Tampa route then! It would make me and a lots of others V.Happy! if BA can why can't VA. I'd be happy with once a week.
#365514 by londonguy
03 Aug 2006, 10:34
anyone know how you get that groovy map on screen?
#365517 by MarkJ
03 Aug 2006, 10:55
Originally posted by londonguy

Hmm its a bit weird - usually the site automatically picks up the map from the airport abbreviations put in the post - but for some reason it hasn't on this occasion.[:?]

One of the techie types will need to have a look as to why I guess!
#365533 by mcuth
03 Aug 2006, 12:01
Originally posted by londonguy

It all goes on the way the start of the title of the TR is formatted- you'd put 'LGW-MCO VS027' and the mapper doesn't pick that up. I've changed it to 'VS027 LGW-MCO' and the map now appears, as if by magic [:)]

Cheers

Michael
#365534 by MarkJ
03 Aug 2006, 12:14
You learn something new every day. [oo]
#365547 by Neil
03 Aug 2006, 13:02
Originally posted by Monkey
Thaks for the TR hope you had a good stay!

Why can't they operate a Tampa route then! It would make me and a lots of others V.Happy! if BA can why can't VA. I'd be happy with once a week.

You could say that about 100's of destinations BA do that VS do not, there are many factors which VS do to decide route, but Im pretty sure Tampa is not one in the planning (ISTBC)

Neil[:)]
#365876 by Littlejohn
04 Aug 2006, 19:14
Guess you'll just have to go and see your friendly local travel agent Monkey, and see if they can sort it out for you [;)]
#365884 by buns
04 Aug 2006, 21:14
Hi Londonguy and welcome to V-flyer[^]

Thanks for the candid TR [y][y] - sorry to hear that the service was a bit so-so and that you had a added visit to Tampa.

For many first timers, arrival at MCO can be confusing. So much so the airport site has this page to help.

Look forward to your return TR
Virgin Atlantic