Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244666 by VS045
24 Aug 2006, 18:53
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So we arrived at LHR T3 at about 1830 2 hours early for our 2030 flight to Dubai with VS. The check-in area seemed pretty busy with a large group on a school tour occupying the central section of the area A. I noticed that overhead the Y and OLCI section a large net had been strung up, blocking out the view upwards through those large hole things that go through departures and the food court etc, making everything seem quite claustrophobic.
We queued up for check-in behind a lady who was in possession of one of Highflyers infamous Louis Vuitton bags, albeit no sign of Floyd to go with it. Although we were only about second or third from the front, the queue seemed to take an age, time that could have been better spent in the CH.[;)]
Eventually, we were taken to another desk and checked-in by someone else who was extremely helpful. During this time, I watched as a number of the school party tried to check in their 2m purple stuffed toy sharks which they had obviously bought over here without a thought to their return trip must have been having too good a time. Anyway, checking these in apparently necessitated four or five staff to supervise which could have provided better help elsewhere. Having said that, the laughter and fuss these toys created did lighten the atmosphere in check-in and possibly alleviated stress levels somewhat.
After check-in, we made our way to the CH and up those stairs have they changed to the lounge. We proceeded to the far left side of the CH as you walk in and made ourselves comfortable on some luminous green couch thingies whilst watching various aircraft on the apron. I declined the offer of a drink but did help myself to a cookie, which proved to be very tasty. I headed upstairs, passing an area which looked even more relaxing and would have tried it out had we had more time there. I made my way into the garden, slightly nervous as I did not know if the door had some kind of self-locking device which, if it were to shut, could see me spending my holiday up there or at least until someone else came up which looked unlikely as it was beginning to rain. Anyway, I managed to watch an All Nippon 744 (IIRC) push back and begin its taxi out, although the deteriorating weather proved even too much for me the most avid of plane spotter (well I thought so until I discovered v-flyer)[:I]
All too soon, our flight was called and we began a leisurely hike down towards gate 40 (I think). Upon reaching the gate we saw the priority boarding thingy (?) placed so helpfully in an emergency exit and wondered if boarding would be another scrum but once past the entrance to the gate saw that there were in fact very little people around so this would not be a problem. As it transpired, boarding was a breeze and we crossed past the galley/bar at door L2 and turned left into UC. Taking our seats in 3-6K, we were quickly offered a choice of water, orange juice or champagne. I chose some orange juice and happily sipped away as boarding continued. Our orders were taken and after 45 minutes, the plane pushed back and taxied across to runway 27L, passing an executive 747SP in purple colours. Not sure of its nationality, but I have often seen it sitting around at LHR. Also, we passed the same 773 of Eva Air that we had seen at Farnborough a couple of weeks earlier. Taxiing went pretty quickly, especially considering the number of pax in the terminal, and after a PIA 747 and 2 BA A320s, Sweet Dreamer was on her way.
The climb/ascent was a nice, long affair and some steep banking provided some excellent views of the surrounding areas. Unfortunately, we were flying into the night, so an extended sunset was not something we could enjoy, unlike some flights to the US in the evening.[:(]
Once the lights were turned back on, the dinner service commenced and here the light loads in UC really proved to be a bonus. 15 out of the 45 seats were occupied, although it was full down the back according to one of the FAs. In fact, during this early part of the flight, there was one FA per party/group, making for some excellent and personal service, including being addressed by name.[:D][y]
I was offered some bread and chose the sun-dried tomato variety to go with my roasted tomato soup. Actually, I dont think this was its full name, but being the culinary novice I am, I cannot remember it.
Following this, I had a very good spinach, feta and tomato pie with new potatoes. This could have only been improved by an increased filling to pastry ratio, although this was not a major problem.
Finally, I chose the vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate fudge sauce which continued the theme of excellence and was not, as I expected, freezing and rock hard as it sometimes is presented on aircraft, which normally requires one to leave it for some amount of time, before it is rendered palatable.
During this, I watched a movie and a few episodes of Scrubs before settling down to sleep. Unfortunately, I never got round to having my planned hot chocolate but vowed to make sure I had some on the flight from JNB to LHR.
Owing to the short nature of the flight coupled with the crossing of three time zones, sunrise came all too quickly and after only two and a half hours sleep, actually almost half the flight time, I was awoken with about 40 minutes before landing. Unfortunately, I felt this was too little time to be able to enjoy breakfast and in any case, I am not one for eating straight after waking up. I sorted out my suite and turned it back into seat mode, prior to inspecting the view out the window. At first, everything just looked like smog and, feeling fairly disorientated with no proper horizon I tried to get a better view out the window. This feat necessitated a twist of my back and neck that even my chiropractor would have been proud of.[;)]
Eventually, we emerged from the smog over Sharjah and fairly close to the ground I had thought we were still way up high. Great views of the desert were still to be had though and the aircraft soon touched down at DXB - a good landing by the flight deck crew.[y][^] We taxied to a remote stand, requiring the use of several buses. Door L2 was opened first and most UC pax deplaned that way. However, L1 was opened shortly afterwards and we got off this way. This meant that we almost had a bus to ourselves as the only occupants were my family and two gentlemen. A small, and accidental, touch but certainly most welcome nonetheless.[:D]
We were dropped off at the air conditioned arrivals terminal which brought welcome relief as we made the 10m journey through the 40+ degree heat. In reality, I loved the excessive heat, but it can come as a bit of a shock whenever you left the air conditioned indoor environment. The immigration staff were surprisingly friendly and the architecture of the hall was not worthy of any awards in the real world, but still top notch in the airport world. LHR must be quite a shock to our Emirati friends.[;)]
Picked up in the hotel car and whisked away to the Le Meridien Mina Seyahi after what was the best flight Ive ever had on any airline ever. I cannot think of anything that could have improved it and the service from the cabin crew was impeccable.[y][^][:D]
I know this TR is quite long but please say whether you like this length or if I should cut down the size of my TRs in future.
Thanks for reading.[:D]
#370000 by AndyK
24 Aug 2006, 19:27
Hi

Nice TR..I thought the length was just right (oooh matron!) ;)

And yes that bit of the CH upstairs as you go towards the garden is very relaxing..check it out next time!
#370003 by Mavrick
24 Aug 2006, 19:41
Great TR,VS045 thank you, [y] I enjoyed it and as Andy said the length is just right, glad to know you had a good flight. [:D]
#370007 by Neil
24 Aug 2006, 20:05
thanks for the TR a good read[y][y]
#370009 by buns
24 Aug 2006, 20:52
VS045

Thanks for an enjoyable TR[y][y]

You certainly had a bonus with a light UC load - one would hope that being addressed by name should be the norm, even if 45 seats had been occupied.

hope you had an enjoyable stay and I look forward to your return TR

buns
#370031 by VS045
24 Aug 2006, 22:33
Thanks everyone for the positive reviews - hopefulyy I will get down to the other TRs tomorrow.[:D]

VS.
#370048 by honey lamb
24 Aug 2006, 23:53
There is no such thing as a too long trip report - with the possible exception of the one linked in this report [:0]
#370091 by VS045
25 Aug 2006, 09:58
There is no such thing as a too long trip report - with the possible exception of the one linked in this report

I tried reading that one, but there's no way I could finish it[;)]

VS.
#370095 by HighFlyer
25 Aug 2006, 10:02
Lovely TR - not too long at all, thank-you for the detail! Glad you had a good flight!

We queued up for check-in behind a lady who was in possession of one of Highflyer's infamous Louis Vuitton bags, albeit no sign of Floyd to go with it

hahahaha [y] Fantastic! Not sure who is more infamous, the bag or Floyd!

I was offered some bread and chose the sun-dried tomato variety to go with my roasted tomato soup. Actually, I don't think this was its full name, but being the culinary novice I am, I cannot remember it.

Was it the 'Tomato Bisque' per chance?

Thanks,
Sarah
#370432 by VS045
27 Aug 2006, 15:10
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was offered some bread and chose the sun-dried tomato variety to go with my roasted tomato soup. Actually, I don't think this was its full name, but being the culinary novice I am, I cannot remember it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it the 'Tomato Bisque' per chance?

Thanks,
Sarah

Possibly...[:?]

If anyone is intersted in reading leg 2 of my journey from DXB to JNB on EK, they are welcome to in Other Airlines TRs[y]

VS.
Virgin Atlantic