Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244921 by coyotes_uk
06 Sep 2006, 11:23
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Hey everyone this is my first trip report hope its ok!

So last sunday i took the VS900 to come to Japan to see my brother in Kashiwazaki.

The day started early as I took the early morning BA shuttle down from Manchester, it was ontime thankfully and got into heathrow with about 4 and a half hours to catch my VS flight. As id checked in online the night before it was relatively easy and quick to check in. Was assigned 60G i enquired about an upgrade to PE but thought better of it, may see if i have some spare Yen to do it for the trip home.

It was my first flight on a A346 and after congregating at gate 23 we went down to the transfer bus and tundled all the way to the ramp outside T5. There it was an incredibly shiny A346 Thought it was mean the way you board right next to the Upper Class bar but it cant be helped! And so began the long slog to the back of the aircraft, my seat was in the centre section and the last row of 4. Got myself sorted and settled in, nice seats nice big screen and thankfully no one sat next to me!

Just a note on the loads economy seemed to be around 60% ish any reason its so low?

Anyway 1pm came and went it appeared the back up first officer called in sick so we had to wait for a replacement! We eventually got underway about 2.30 and began a 30min treck to the runway. How i prefer Manchester in this regard. Anyway we finally got onto the runway around 2hours late and proceeded to use every inch of it to get off the ground!

Alot of rattling and flexing later we were climbing and on our way.

the IFE started up and i have to say i love it think i watched, Ice Age 2, the benchwarmers, The Omen, the Wild, Nacho Libre and Over the Hedge.

For the meal i had the beef which was very nice i always remember VS having very good meals!

I tried to get some sleep but only managed an hour, was v envious of the two Japenese gentlemen on my row who found it effortles to get to sleep!

found the seat comfortable all flight thew only problem was it was nocked a few times by the cabin crew, but no real complaints. Other than that the flight passed fairly quickly which was good, the A346 is very smooth and v quiet i found!

After leaving 2 hours late we actually came in on time and landed at narita finding it very warm and much like florida! Got off and stood in the immigration que for an eternity but thankfully my bag had made it and i met my brother and so the holiday began!

I hope you havent found this too boring! And also apologies for no pictures! Ill write up my return later as its not till the 13th, meanwhile if anyone can arrange an upgrade to PE for me that would be most appreciated! [:D]

Take care!
Mark
#372456 by pjh
06 Sep 2006, 11:39
Originally posted by coyotes_uk
Hey everyone this is my first trip report hope its ok!

More than ok [y] [^]

Thanks for putting it together.

Paul
#372459 by G-VROY
06 Sep 2006, 11:46
great TR coyotes_uk,i do hate the trundle to the runway at heathrow to! very annoying. thanks for the TR[y]
#372468 by fozzyo
06 Sep 2006, 11:53
Thanks for that Mark - great read. Its amazing, I can sleep no problem in cars, busses, trains, on floors. But get me on a plane and there is no hope - no idea why. My body just can't switch off!

Hope you have a good time and flight back.
#372470 by coyotes_uk
06 Sep 2006, 11:56
Wow thanks guys for the reply, when i was younger i found it easy to drift off, but no longer, seems i just like to play the IFE! Anyway definatly looking forward to the return flight!
#372472 by G-VROY
06 Sep 2006, 11:59
look forward to reading the return, do you think you will get that upgrade?[:?]
#372483 by Mavrick
06 Sep 2006, 12:08
Nice, TR, Mark thank you. [y]
#372485 by coyotes_uk
06 Sep 2006, 12:13
Originally posted by G-VROY
look forward to reading the return, do you think you will get that upgrade?[:?]

My philosophy is youll never get if you dont ask!
#372490 by G-VROY
06 Sep 2006, 12:22
thats a good phillosophy! [y]fingers crossed!
#372677 by Neil
06 Sep 2006, 20:09
Great first TR, thanks Mark

the IFE started up and i have to say i love it think i watched, Ice Age 2, the benchwarmers, The Omen, the Wild, Nacho Libre and Over the Hedge.

You certainly got your moneys worth of IFE, can't believe you watched so much, i stuggled with just 1 film (but then Im too nosey and like to people watch[:I])

Look forward to your return report
Neil[:)]
#372974 by PVGSLF
08 Sep 2006, 06:04
How long does the trundle in the bus out to T5 take, Must take an age in itself? Though I seem to remember this talked about in another thread, and isn't there a service tunnel or something?

I am a similar no sleeper in Economy, though in an equally cramped space in a car, train or bus, I can fall asleep in minute. Somebody told me it was the white noise and sensation of movement which you don't get in an A346. Though in Upper Class I had no problem sleeping either, but I put that down to the Club house and the onboard bar[|)]

The first time I took a flight with v:port, i decided that the flight wouldn't be long enough to watch all i wanted, but I gave it a damned good try and watched films continuously!
#372995 by coyotes_uk
08 Sep 2006, 15:21
Originally posted by Attitude23
Great first TR, thanks Mark

You certainly got your moneys worth of IFE, can't believe you watched so much, i stuggled with just 1 film (but then Im too nosey and like to people watch[:I])

Look forward to your return report
Neil[:)]

Lol i like watching films and as obvious as it sounds helped pass the time away!

Right the journey on the bus out to T5 prob took 8 minutes or something it wasnt too long! Just obviously would have preferred an airbridge!
Virgin Atlantic