Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#245028 by mysteryflyer
12 Sep 2006, 15:59
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
What a start to the day, late for the airport as usual. Missed the fast X26 bus by 1 minute so it took me an extra hour to get to the airport. Exit the bus station and cross the road to walk past the old control tower and up to Terminal Three.

I see the fancy Volvos dropping off the Upper Class passengers at the drive through check in. Used to be like that for me in the old days.

Dont turn into a 'Used to' person I resolved - you know the type 'I used to be this, I used to be that'.

I shuffle past the back of one of the Volvos and into the terminal. Oh well, it only cost me 1.50 to get here and although it wasn't a Volvo at least I didnt have to talk to anyone all the way over. Im not talkative at thebest of times and I havent even had a coffee yet.

Now I face the horror that is Terminal Three on a Sunday at lunchtime. Im listening to Gary Crowley's Guilty Pleasures on BBC London 94.9 - you know the music you like but arent supposed to admit to Dreamer, comes on by Supertramp.

Its almost surreal as I get to the On Line Check In queue and there are a million people in front of me.

Take a dream on a Sunday
Take a life, take a holiday
Take a lie, take a dreamer
dream, dream, dream, dream, dream along...

Spookily apt.

I wonder if my bag is going to fit but instead Im drowned out by a nasal american old bag behind me talking about how she used to travel and it was never like this. Shes a 'Used to' - see above. I hope to get to the check in desk before either throttling her or blowing off loudly. Same effect I think.

Ten minutes later at the fast bag drop desk I check my hold bag. Its a big suitcase as I am resigned to the new stupidity at UK airports so theres no point in having my normal travelpro carry on.

My emergency carry on however is perfect. Its 45 x 35 x 16 exactly. Thank you Targus, well actually thank you Oracle who sponsored it for me originally and then Targus who replaced it 8 years later when the handle finally broke off under their lifetime guarantee program. Brilliant. I'll never buy another (I'll never need to!)

'Does your bag fit in the box sir'

'Yes', I say forcing it in, its going to fit!

'It fits but I cant get it out.' I struggle with it for a minute.

'Better take the box with you then' says the check in agent jovially.

Eventually I am able to extract it and am on my way to security

Awful.

Fast forward 10 minutes.

Still awful.

The queue goes 2 directions Which to choose. 48 people in the left side and 30 people on the right.

Turn right.

Another desk opens. So my 30 people queue becomes two 25people queues. Move fast to the X-Ray and out.

Am I the only person who counts the queues?

Straight to the clubhouse. No time to lose. No haircut slots left. No worry Im not really in the mood anyway (like before with the Volvo driver I dont want to talk to a hairdresser about nothing).

The clubhouse is an oasis. The Grand Prix is on, headphones are available but I dont need a set to know whats happening. Schuey is being beaten. Thats all that matters.

A clubhouse G&T arrives, complete with Lime and perfect. VS clubhouse G&T is the perfect one I feel. Along comes a Burger. This is the second time Ive had a Clubhouse Cheeseburger and its sublime. Its hard to do well and Im an industry and world authority on the cheeseburger.

All too soon boarding is called and its gate 19, over in the old part of T3 where Pan Am used to live. Always feels like a trip to the 1970's going there.

The plane however is an A340 600. Today I am in Premium Economy as Ive wangled a Saturday night stay despite a lack of amusement at home to allow me to get an el cheapo fare. (1080 plus tax, K class compared to a Monday to Friday Y class at over gbp1200).

Its lovely. New Premium Economy seats are a massive improvement although I had to ask where the power socket was it is in a better place - an improvement over the previous ones which dig into your side. I am in 20H an aisle seat in the middle three which is fine. Good leg room. Reclines well. Lumbar support. Side bolsters for head support. Very Very nice. Almost as good as Business class on some airlines. Actually as good as the BA Club cradle seat! (Not too high praise - the BA seat sucked)

Great food. Distincly Economy class but an extra glass of champagne boarding and extra G&T and Brandy after the meal make it all right.
Awesome Gu Pud Chocolate. Very nice new fancy boxed Vanilla Ice cream. Same rotten paninnis and sandiches later in flight so I skip them.

The flight attendant for my section was great. Always smiling and attentive. She helped me find the power connector It washer firsttrip with the new seats too. I will post some pics of the seats on my own web site.

V-Port entertainment to allow for pause/continue. But the moving map is broken, crases the system apparently.

I watched and hated Mission Impossible Three - I suppose any IMF based movie should be implausible but theres nothing good about this one just a journeyman.

Then TheDa Vinci Code. Lets see if its any better. Not really.

Then RV with Robin Williams. I think the kids will like it, perhaps it will help my case for a VW bus which fails every year.

Last Doctor Who and half way through with my two heroines (Billie Piper and Elizabeth Sladen) its time to land.

No sleep on this trip. Irritating passenger beside me with his whole email world printed out in his bag. Spilt a glass of red on the left aisle passenger rummaging through his bag and Im on his right and dont want the same fate. Good luck with the Boeing purchases Mr Low Cost Airline CEO. Perhaps I should invest I think to myself. If I was an airline CEO I would be in Upper Class so its an indicator of a well run company.

Perfect landing and a short taxi. Annoying wait for a tug forsome reason to pull us onto stand.

No queue at customs so straight out and into a cab.

Pretty much perfect Premium Economy experience.

As I write I log into VS website to find I am Gold. In my email is a letter to prove it to the revivals lounge on my return.

Im a happy camper - unlike Robin Williams.
#373623 by mitchja
12 Sep 2006, 16:20
Excellent TR thanks mysteryflyer [y]

Regards
#373630 by fozzyo
12 Sep 2006, 16:53
Fabby TR - thanks for sharing. Glad to see the new PE seats are so good - look forward to trying them out.

Moved up to Gold? Woohooo!! Congrats.
#373648 by pjh
12 Sep 2006, 17:43
Originally posted by mysteryflyer

Straight to the clubhouse. No time to lose. No haircut slots left. No worry Im not really in the mood anyway (like before with the Volvo driver I don't want to talk to a hairdresser about nothing).

'How would sir like his hair done today ?'

'In silence, please'.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who (me) 'achieves a state of inner self contained grace' (my wife) 'is a grumpy non communicative b*st*rd' when travelling. Give me an IFE and a book and 'white wine please' and 'thankyou' will be the most you'll hear from me.

Thanks for the TR. Another good read.

Paul
#373675 by Neil
12 Sep 2006, 20:25
Superb TR as usual, thanks a lot[y][y]

Neil[:)]
#374275 by Mavrick
16 Sep 2006, 06:53
Excellent TR, thank you mysteryflyer. [y]
#375408 by MrsG
24 Sep 2006, 01:06
Love the pic mysteryflyer[y] Fab TR too[y][y]
#375438 by MarkJ
24 Sep 2006, 11:07
Excellent report MF [y][y]

I have missed a couple of weeks - so apologies if someone else has already done this - but enjoyed reading my first report on the new PE seats - they do look good!! Cant wait to try em!!
#375641 by napamatt
25 Sep 2006, 19:38
The best part of travelling for business, is that you can keep to yourself and do what you want particularly when in the CH. DW always needs to be entertained.[:p]
Virgin Atlantic