Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#245133 by MarkJ
18 Sep 2006, 13:25
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a great holiday and a wonderful stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge we finished with a day at Epcot - one more go on Mission Space and Soarin'- with lunch at Le Cellier and then a steady drive out to Orlando International - this is a toll road so make sure you have a few bucks spare for this!!

Dollar car back to the rental station , nice and simple, then into the terminal. Upstairs to level 3 and meet the back of the queue for Y pax - its long, check in is underway for the VS 28 to LGW and of course for the 76 - big queue. I would strongly recommend using the Downtown Disney check-in to avoid this.

Walk around the queue to the UC check-in ,there is 1 person in the line. PE has 8 people in it. Smooth check-in, seats 7\8 K as pre-booked. Invite to Crown Delta lounge and bags taken to the TSA check by a porter - sweet!

Easily through the TSA screening - maybe 2 minutes, shoes and belts off, still no liquids allowed but duty free can be ordered and collected at the gate. Then take the shuttle out to the Delta/Virgin hub. This finally completes the 'circle' of our South Florida tour. Lift to the lounge - its no clubhouse but its very comfy and has a full bar with ice cold draft beer and snacks.

Get a cold one and relax in the comfy chairs. Its quiet and there's free wifi - so have a look at what I've missed on VF - cripes, lots to catch up on!!! Well when l say 'quiet' there's one woman who is loudly telling anyone who will listen about her holiday - bet she's on our flight - mind you, a few beers at the on-board bar sounds fun, so maybe she will keep us entertained!

Departure screen says that the 76 is running 30 mins late, so plenty of time for another beer!!

The lounge makes calls for flights and we get called at 600 pm. But when we get dpown to Gate 85 there is a bit of a wait at the gate as we see the 'wheelchair derby' go off!!

Its Barbarella G-VROM

Board and get my first experience of the UCS - hmmm - can see why its easy to get bitten by the UC bug!!! Its interesting to see at first hand how the comments on VF relate to things firstly I think the condition of the UCS is excellent, I saw no signs of any serious wear and tear and all the suites seemed to work propoerly when buttons were pressed. I liked the small touches in the Suites the lights, the arm rest/storage, the comfy seat belts and the excellent screen and extra drinks area when the screen is pulled out.

Have a play with the seat, feel like l know all about it already. Bottle of still water in an elastic strap. Get a glass of bucks fizz, and then the FSA comes round with menus and sleep suits, opt for medium - hope it fits. It does.

Sue,(permission granyted for name use) the FSM, then comes round to introduce herself and give out the Oswald Boateng - still on the b and s routes - excellent. Shes great already, have a chat about VF and whats on here, discuss snooze kits envelopes and in flight beauty and club houses. Sue has that lively approach that makes VS the way we love it!!!

Offered another drink and go for a Bellini -yummy!!

Peruse the menu and opt for the following:
Seasonal salad with smoked Duck
Lamb fillet
Sponge with marscapone

Was debating whether to go for the 'sleep experience' or the full on 'UCS' experience. Theres a couple who like a chat and a drink, so 'full on' it is!!!!

The safety video doesnt work so its a manual demo - a couple of the other FSA's try to put off the lady doing ours- which makes it a bit more interesting!!

In the air at 1915 so an hour late with a flying time of 7hrs 30 mins so wont get in too much behind schedule! Seemed weird sitting at a slight angle for take off, but lm sure l can get used to it! The FSA gets the bar ready and an American guy sorts out his bed ready for golf and work over the weekend!

Drinks service begins about 20 mins in, have another yummy Bellini!!

Watch the Omen, the screens are great, could do with better head sets though.

Sue has a friend who has over 40 Lewis's - lm jealous! We dont have metal cutlery but do have airplane cruets. The bar is stocked with fresh fruit, snacks and delicious chocolates! Mmmm! Another Bellini slips down nicely!

Dinner is served - opt for Pinot Grigio, choice of garlic, rustic or country bread. Have garlic, v nice! Duck salad - have rustic and country bread too! Salad is delicious, great dressing. Next is the lamb, its a nice cut but personally a touch too well done for me. Then had the sponge and mascarpone!- needed more syrup on the sponge but nice taste and fresh fruit. Had a coffee to wash it all down!

Up to the bar for a double baileys (turns into a double double Bailieys) and some chocolates!! Fancy trying out the bed too - but maybe later for an hour or two.

There's three crew in UC tonight and they have been excellent with nothing being a problem. The service has been excellent and I still believe that the FSM sets the tone for this, so well done Sue!!

Sit at the bar and have a good chat with Sue whilst the rest of UC goes to sleep - hope l didnt keep anyone awake! We talk about IFE, the new arrangements for having a Manchester based crew, flights from Glasgow, service levels and flying in general. Its interesting to hear from a FSM who firmly believes that VS have been and will be the best. There are some initiatives to develop customer areas and this can only be good!

About 5 hours in my bed calls me and one of the excellent FSA's makes up my bed. I nick an extra pillow from a spare seat and get a couple of hours - find it very comfy!

700am and breakfast is served!! The famous bacon roll, a bluube muffin, fresh OJ and coffee. What could be better at 35000 feet. Map says we are over Ireland with 40 mins to go.

Begin our descent at 0725, its a lovely clear day over the Irish sea, but as we get closer to Manchester the cloud sets in theres a surprise.

We are on the ground at 745am and we are through to our waiting car at 8am there were no queues at immigration and our bags were on the carousel as we walked up to it excellent!!

I know that there is much debate about service levels and Clubhouses at Manchester but I really believe that there is a great deal to be said for the speed at which you can get through here compared to Gatwick and for those of us living in the Midlands and up its really a much better option.

My first time in UCS and it will not be the last as a new user I found it difficult to fault anything but maybe over the past couple of years certain things have changed and been removed however if it gets better than this then it will be even more wonderful in my eyes!!
#374507 by maz
18 Sep 2006, 15:09
Thank you Mark!! We're travelling UC and you have just made me look forward to it all the more! Great report!
#374509 by Neil
18 Sep 2006, 15:20
Another top TR, thanks Mark[y], your enjoyment of UCS for the first time makes me even more certain to book it for our trip next year, yey.

Neil[:)]
#374518 by easygoingeezer
18 Sep 2006, 17:29
Cheers for that[^] You just made me get all exited about my upcoming trip from MAN in six weeks time.

Lovely TR too, a nice read.
#374523 by Mavrick
18 Sep 2006, 17:52
Mark, thank you for a quality TR,[y] I'm glad you enjoyed your first time in UC. [:D]
#374533 by G-VROY
18 Sep 2006, 18:20
Great TR, i defently think that DTD check-in is a must though![y]
#374540 by Claire L
18 Sep 2006, 18:38
Sounds like a great trip home [:)]I wanna go UC but as you say once bitten by the bug...

Claire [;)]
#374575 by napamatt
18 Sep 2006, 21:07
Forgive my ignorance

'40 Lewis's' - huh![:D]
#374578 by Neil
18 Sep 2006, 21:10
Originally posted by napamatt
Forgive my ignorance

'40 Lewis's' - huh![:D]

Matt - I was the same a while ago, here is a thread that should explain everything!

Neil
#374579 by Kirstielou
18 Sep 2006, 21:15
What a great report.

I sooo want to go UC :(

Ah well. Put my numbers on for the lottery I think lol
#374593 by DragonLady
18 Sep 2006, 21:53
Glad you enjoyed the experience Mark (and hope I hadn't blown the surprise!).Trouble is once bitten forever smitten....Mr DL will tell you not doing anything for the 'big birthday' has cost him dearly in the long run.He He!!41 days and counting(again!!)....
#374763 by jamie
19 Sep 2006, 21:04
Now you've done it once you'll want to do it again!
#374769 by Tim
19 Sep 2006, 21:57
My first time in UCS and it will not be the last

Same here.
We flew UC, as a one off treat, last year and guess what... we had to do it again this year.

Thanks to the miles we have already grabbed a couple of 'Gs' for next year.
Can't wait to try the LHR routes, reading V-Flyer the experience will be far superior to our last two flights from LGW.
#374798 by napamatt
19 Sep 2006, 23:55
Matt - I was the same a while ago, here is a thread that should explain everything!

Makes much more sense now.

Remember once you go left, you never go back [8D]
#374974 by Kraken
21 Sep 2006, 13:12
An excellent TR Mark - it has really made me look forward to my MAN-MCO-MAN journey in about 7 weeks time. Nice to see that you feel the convenience of MAN outweighs the few 'missing' bits of the LGW experience for us Midlands based people.
#375022 by MarkJ
21 Sep 2006, 17:22
Thank you for all the kind comments guys!!

Fortunately or unfortunately, which ever way you look at, it we are going to Nassau in May/June and I have already included UC in the costing!![:D]

Aaaaaghhhhhhh!! VFlyer ruined me!!![:I]

Shall I just file for bankruptcy now?
#375079 by buns
21 Sep 2006, 22:10
Mark

Thanks for the informative TR and the pics[y][y]

Aaaaaghhhhhhh!! VFlyer ruined me!!!

Shall I just file for bankruptcy now?

Welcome to the Club[}:)][}:)] But is is nice though[;)]

buns
#375590 by peteukmcr
25 Sep 2006, 14:15
Mark

Thanks for the review, can't wait for my first time in UC on the same MAN-MCO route in 25 days time!
Virgin Atlantic