This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#18991 by jerseyboy
25 Apr 2007, 20:09
There is a bit of a buzz in the air at the moment around the channel
Islands.

Local news is reporting 2 large unidentified objects in the sky’s on Monday evening. Apparently the UFO's were seen by a number of commercial airline pilots and passengers; a pilot also witnessed them on the ground at Alderney airport.

Jersey Airport has also confirmed some radar activity in the area of the sightings as reported.

I am not a great believer in UFO's and I am sure that some unknown aircraft type or natural phenomena may explain most if not all UFO sightings.

Link to local news Here
What do you all think?
Are we being visited by other unknown life forms?

Cheers
Jerseyboy
#169391 by jerseyboy
25 Apr 2007, 20:25
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Originally posted by jerseyboy
Local news is reporting 2 large unidentified objects in the skyÕs on Monday evening.

In the sky's what, exactly?

GJ

In the Sky above the channel islands or UP IN THE AIR
#169428 by MarkJ
25 Apr 2007, 22:44
These things are usually weather baloons[:0]
#169431 by Darren Wheeler
25 Apr 2007, 22:56
or the light from Venus being reflected by a pocket of swamp gas. Now. just look at the little red light.
#169432 by Scrooge
25 Apr 2007, 23:03
Mulder.....Mulder.....Mulder [:0]
#169446 by p17blo
25 Apr 2007, 23:40
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Local news is reporting 2 large unidentified objects in the skyÕs on Monday evening.

In the sky's what, exactly?

GJ

In the Sky above the channel islands or UP IN THE AIR

Certainly way over YOUR head anyway

I got it GJ :)
#169457 by PVGSLF
26 Apr 2007, 02:38
Originally posted by MarkJ

That's what they want you to think[V]
#169466 by Scrooge
26 Apr 2007, 08:32
Originally posted by PVGSLF

That's what they want you to think[V]

[:0] [:#]
#169471 by FamilyMan
26 Apr 2007, 09:27
Another linked story here.

Note that the first story says 'a mile wide' and the second says 'twice the size of a 737" - I never realised the 737 was quite as wide as that.[?]

Phil FM
#169479 by Scorpio
26 Apr 2007, 10:25
We used to get it all the time over Bonnybridge, strange lights in the sky, etc.

Interestinghly though in Wiltshire its a very frequent occurance.(maybe to do with crop circles?)
#169486 by Darren Wheeler
26 Apr 2007, 10:34
Originally posted by FamilyMan

Note that the first story says 'a mile wide' and the second says 'twice the size of a 737" - I never realised the 737 was quite as wide as that.[?]

Phil FM

A mile wide!!!!

If that was the case, I doubt anyone in the whole of Northern Europe would have missed it.
#169497 by jerseyboy
26 Apr 2007, 11:40

Weather balloons visible from 40 nautical miles by an airline pilot and also showing up on radar. Also the objects was given an estimated size if 1 mile across. ThatÕs some big weather balloon.

One of the UFO's was seen off the island of Alderny which is quite close to sensitive airspace around the Cap de La Hague nuclear power planton the French coast.

I am of the belief that either it was a military type of craft unknown to the public or that there was a very rear natural phenomena taking place in the area.

Jerseyboy
#169500 by jerseyboy
26 Apr 2007, 11:48
Originally posted by FamilyMan

Phil FM

The pilot who first reported the UFO's contacted ATC from about 40 nautical miles out, When ATC asked for an approximate size of the objects he said maybe the size of a 737 or even the size of 2 737's when the pilot landed he concluded that the objects were much bigger than he first thought due to the distance he was away when he first spotted them. On the ground he concluded that the size of the craft would have been more like 1 mile wide.

The pilot gives a good interview on the fist link I posted if you hit the watch report link now posted with the initial news report you can see the whole interview in full

Cheers Jerseyboy
Virgin Atlantic