This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#891715 by catsilversword
05 Jan 2015, 07:50
Hi,

Been having an issue for some while now with my Mac (bought July 2013). Periodically, it won't connect to the net. I've tried turning the wifi off and then on, which results in it showing 'no network selected' in the network name field - so I've then selected the name of my router, after which it asks for the password. When I (correctly!) input that, it thinks about connecting for a while and then comes up with an 'invalid password' message. The password is definitely correct. Any thoughts please? I sometimes find that turning the machine off at the mains sorts it out eventually, but this isn't right :(.

Have googled the issue and followed sone guidelines about removing airport from the keychain and then re booting, but it hasn't helped. What else can I do? I'm not having problems with any other hardware connecting (Internet radio, iPads, phones) , so know it isn't the router.....
#891765 by joeyc
05 Jan 2015, 17:12
Have you tried to "Forget the network" on your mac? and then reselect it as a new network.

Sometimes these things get a little clogged up if you effectively leave them on autopilot... computers ii)
#891769 by GasMonkey98
05 Jan 2015, 17:47
I'd take it up to Apple and they should tell you what's wrong then atleast you can go away and fix it yourself or they can do it for you if you wish to pay depending on the warranty
#891784 by catsilversword
05 Jan 2015, 19:46
joeyc wrote:Have you tried to "Forget the network" on your mac? and then reselect it as a new network.

Sometimes these things get a little clogged up if you effectively leave them on autopilot... computers ii)

Will have a look and try :)
#891785 by catsilversword
05 Jan 2015, 19:49
GasMonkey98 wrote:I'd take it up to Apple and they should tell you what's wrong then atleast you can go away and fix it yourself or they can do it for you if you wish to pay depending on the warranty

I probably should have done that six months ago, before the warranty ended :( I think you're right though, I can still go in and ask.... They can only tell me to go away and not darken their door....
#891791 by McMaddog
05 Jan 2015, 21:17
We had a similar issue and solved it by stopping the modem offering dual channels under the same SSID. We changed to have one channel on one SSID and one on the other and it solved it. Though obviously devices would then only be able to connect on one of them at a time.
#891861 by catsilversword
06 Jan 2015, 16:06
McMaddog wrote:We had a similar issue and solved it by stopping the modem offering dual channels under the same SSID. We changed to have one channel on one SSID and one on the other and it solved it. Though obviously devices would then only be able to connect on one of them at a time.

That sounds complicated...
#891862 by Concorde RIP
06 Jan 2015, 17:53
I have had many issues recently that started occurring about the time I started to introduce WIFI extenders and additional Sonos music player to my system.

It turns out, WIFI is not as straightforward and "plug and play" as I thought!

Do you have any powerline or WIFI extenders?

How many wireless devices do you have?

Have often do you reboot your router (it generally has a limited pool of ip addresses (tokens) to hand out, and as devices connect/disconnect, this pool can get used up).

Finally, there are a number of things you could look at on your router - a tip I picked up recently was to restrict the wireless transfer rate as iphones in particular can't handle what my router can throw at it...

If you have other wireless networks in/around your house (and you may not even know about them), have you tried switching wirelss channels?

Really, there's any number of things that could cause issues, so I need to know more before I can be of real assistance...
#891875 by McMaddog
06 Jan 2015, 23:01
catsilversword wrote:
McMaddog wrote:We had a similar issue and solved it by stopping the modem offering dual channels under the same SSID. We changed to have one channel on one SSID and one on the other and it solved it. Though obviously devices would then only be able to connect on one of them at a time.

That sounds complicated...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band-devices-wirelessly-to-the-bt-home
Virgin Atlantic