#867138 by starquake
24 Feb 2014, 22:19
Out of interest are any other v-flyers DVC members ? I'm considering it seriously to reduce disney costs on a 3 year cycle.

Any tips on best use year and times to book to tie in with VS sales? Obviously flights pay a big part into considering a timeshare.
#867148 by Luke12
24 Feb 2014, 22:35
Don't know much about DVC, although there is a big section on the DIBB site.

In terms of tie in with sales/good pricing, you'll often pick up good flight prices to Orlando in Jan/Feb and Sept-Nov time (avoiding Columbus Day in Oct and Thanksgiving in November).
#867175 by JojoM
24 Feb 2014, 23:21
We've been DVC members since 1998 and can honestly say that it is one of the best things that we've ever purchased. Our use year is April which has always seemed to work well. When we first joined and didn't have to worry about school holidays September seemed to fit in well with flight prices! DVC and VS, a great combination :D
#867200 by David
25 Feb 2014, 09:32
JojoM wrote:We've been DVC members since 1998 and can honestly say that it is one of the best things that we've ever purchased. Our use year is April which has always seemed to work well. When we first joined and didn't have to worry about school holidays September seemed to fit in well with flight prices! DVC and VS, a great combination :D

Crikey, I should just copy/paste exactly the same - joined 1998, April use year and the whole concept is just pretty well amazing !!

Only small issue is annual dues are payable in Jan which is never a great month and you "never" have enough points ;) We've added on twice now and manage to get between 2 and 4 trips a year - many times going nowhere near the parks.

All the resorts are stunning and after a small dip in the service a few years back are maintained extremely well.

Any questions, ask away.

David
#867239 by starquake
25 Feb 2014, 14:28
Thanks David for kind offer if answering questions

Suppose #1 is how important is the 11 vs 7 month window
Considering points at AKL on resale as it's quite reasonable for times we would travel. But we would not only want to stay there. A few days in California plus Hawaii would be a future requirement for sure.

And #2 is did you buy resale or direct. I think we will be resale but want get get a uk centric view of what is best prior to starting purchase

Thanks greatly!

Dan
#867257 by David
25 Feb 2014, 17:17
starquake wrote:Thanks David for kind offer if answering questions

Suppose #1 is how important is the 11 vs 7 month window
Considering points at AKL on resale as it's quite reasonable for times we would travel. But we would not only want to stay there. A few days in California plus Hawaii would be a future requirement for sure.

And #2 is did you buy resale or direct. I think we will be resale but want get get a uk centric view of what is best prior to starting purchase

Thanks greatly!

Dan

Hi Dan,

We bought direct, although the price for resale is very tempting. Up until a year or two ago, both were treated the same, now resales have some restrictions on them - unsure what they are but I think you are unable to use them out of the DVC resorts.

The 11 month vs 7 month use year is only really important if you want to book special dates ie Easter, Christmas etc or are really really fixed on specific dates. We usually book a few months in advance (2-3) and are able to get in somewhere. Saratoga Springs (which is not everyones cup of tea) is huge and usually has some availability.

If not, we can juggle dates around to suit. Of course if you are a planner and book months and months in advance the 11 month window becomes very useful for specific dates.

Its nice to stay at different resorts, so we are not really that fussed where we are but haven't tried California or Hawaii (yet) - Got a feeling the Hawaii stays are only in weeks rather than days, so that would be a huge amount of points for a big room although might be wrong with that.

There are also many other "perks" available which change but the big ones are discount on annual passes as well as discount at restaurants and some shops.

Any more ? :)

David
#867298 by starquake
26 Feb 2014, 00:22
Thanks David and others who have replied ;)

I think thats it - reassured me ( I was worried availability would be limited, Saratoga springs is the only resort that doesn't interest the wife) and in a way helped. Wife will definitely want the xmas week at some point so that makes the decision on which resort to buy key with the 11 month window. Xmas week won't be for the parks - but as a nice getaway - and then not often, 1 year in 3 or so. For most years I expect to travel in the nov-april timeframe - this is a winter getaway mostly for us, too humid in summer ;0

And I agree with all working out the amount of points we're buying is going to be the next very tricky decision.. likely 200 to 300 at Animal kingdom lodge or wilderness lodge is the end outcome on resale. I can't see any advantage to buying direct as the wife hates cruising, and you still can trade in RCI on resale (which is one we likely would be doing), and the points values for the things you can only do with a direct contract are so high I'd sell the points for the year and buy direct instead - as would be a cheaper option from what my spreadsheet says.

Now I just need to find the monies to buy the points - which arrives courtesy of a 5 year plan maturing.... I hope ;)

Dan
#867305 by buns
26 Feb 2014, 07:18
You might find this Forum helpful.

Seems to have plenty of friendly people, willing to help, around

buns
#867385 by twirlygal
27 Feb 2014, 12:56
We have been DVC members at BCV since 2003 when we bought direct from Disney @ $74 dollars per point. One of the best purchases we have ever made. Even taking the annual dues into account our purchase more than paid for itself after 3 years. We added points (again direct from Disney) at VGC last year.

We have a June use year and normally holiday August/September/October.

IMO the 11 month window advantage is important if you are keen to stay at one of the smaller or particularly popular resorts such as BCV or VGC. Our VCG purchase was made because we were unable to book a 1 bed or studio there at the 7 month window for October and had to spend more points as only 2 beds were available
#869621 by starquake
02 Apr 2014, 10:08
Waiting for ROFR on a resale now of 200 points at AKL.

Wish me luck!
#869625 by David
02 Apr 2014, 10:30
starquake wrote:Waiting for ROFR on a resale now of 200 points at AKL.

Wish me luck!

:D Good luck Starquake. AKL is a beautiful resort, especially the savanna view rooms. Very weird sitting on your balcony in the morning for a coffee watching giraffes wondering about :)

DVC was one of the best decisions I made and has enabled us to visit the sunshine state many, many times.

David
#869680 by starquake
02 Apr 2014, 20:15
Well, I can thoroughly say - I recommend use of xe.com to wire funds to US. Fund agreed 4pm Monday - UK time... in account of title company this morning 9am US time. Amazingly fast, and cheaper than my banks transfer.

Now just a waiting game for next 30 days... having fun working out when we'll use DVC - as it won't actually be next year - more like 2016 or 17. Joys of the bank/borrow system ;)
#872619 by starquake
13 May 2014, 12:06
To update on process for those thinking of buying the cheaper resale market.... we've passed ROFR, and now in estoppel delays. Final payment due sometime in next week and should be in system 2 weeks after.
#873367 by starquake
21 May 2014, 17:24
In final closing this week and I have an invoice to pay. Expect to close early next week.
#873395 by David
21 May 2014, 22:08
That's great. Doesn't sound as tho it's taken too long.

We are heading out this Saturday to Saratoga Springs. If you want any info, pics or anything, give me a shout.

David.
#873857 by starquake
27 May 2014, 13:47
Be interested in some photos of SSR - It's somewhere we're considering going to after our stay at AKL (and hopefully at california too) in 2015. Proximity to Downtown Disney for meals is the main reason, as we quite like meals there, but don't like parking or the bus frequency!.

The contract is now in final closing, money exchanged, awaiting the DVC welcome letter. 2 months pretty much as expected, not as easy as buying direct, but little hassle overall. From the UK buyer entire transactions handled via email and phone with little need to even post documents.
#874750 by starquake
06 Jun 2014, 12:16
And.. I am an owner as of last night. Now awaiting new member pack.
#874801 by JojoM
06 Jun 2014, 22:04
Congratulations Starquake welcome to the club :D You won't regret it.
We're staying at the Boardwalk later this year, can't wait to go 'home' oo)
#891497 by julmops
02 Jan 2015, 13:58
Been a DVC member since August 2013 ...
Leaving in 3 weeks for our very first use of points ... Going to Grand Californian and Aulani... Can't wait !!!
#893783 by starquake
28 Jan 2015, 00:26
We are booked now 4 days in California villas in April and 9 in Orlando in October animal kingdom alone with a cruise or trip to savanna... All for slighty more than a low-end stay... First year of dvc definitly looking fun and we would never had the 2nd trip if it wasn't for the dvc value allowing it to happen.

Let us know how aulani goes - we are tempted to go in a few years, as looks an amazing place.

Making the most of vs gold on the latter trip we discovered that only the gold member can book extra legroom and exit rows free. So on the trip out wife is behind me. But that said it may be the first and last 2 trips in the 747 upper deck with the amount of retirements of the planes upcoming with the 787.
#895571 by julmops
13 Feb 2015, 14:22
Aulani was absolutely awesome ! It's just incredible and Hawai'i is simply amazing ... We had a total blast.
The place was quite busy and very family-orientated, possibly even more than any other Disney property but we totally loved it !
We'll be back !
Virgin Atlantic