#262457 by gingerflyer
25 Feb 2010, 22:46
After a very snowy day in Edinburgh, it was time to head out to the airport. Security was relatively quick and after a brief stop at the shops, it was time to head to the lounge.

This was my first time there after it was refurbished and reopened as a Galleries lounge. It is much larger now, more airy and much better seating. There also appeared to be an enhanced selection of drinks available compared to the usual selection. One major thing is that there is still no toilet in the lounge, which means you have to leave and walk to find one nearby. Whilst this is not a major issue, it seems a shame that whilst doing all the rebuilding, they couldn't find somewhere to put a toilet or two in (there is plenty of room in there!).

Another first, was the change from the usual Avro Jet to one of the new Embraer 170 planes for the flight down to LCY. I think that there are now fewer seats on the plane, as there are only 19 rows of 4 across, rather than the previous 6 across. This is much better for passengers - the seats are more comfortable and less squashed in. The window seats, which previously used to be very cramped, are now more spacious. One slightly odd thing is that most of the seats seemed to be 'off set' in relation to the windows. That said, it was relatively easy to see out, especially as the windows are much bigger in size. Luggage bins are smaller, which could be an issue if there are lots of people with large carry on bags. It is also much brighter in the plane compared to the old Avro Jets.

After a bumpy take off due to the bad weather, it was the usual drinks with bird seed/cookie service. Most people seemed to be having either water or coffee - I opted for a G'n'T and then everyone behind me seemed to opt for an alcoholic beverage as well! I think the flight is also quicker on the new planes, and soon we were arriving in a very wet LCY.

Really liked the new lounge (despite the lack of toilet facilities) and the newer planes are a very much needed welcome relief for those travelling to and from LCY.