Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#751527 by Bill S
04 Aug 2010, 15:17
Further views on the design company website. These do place the paint scheme in a better light.

tontybear wrote:What on earth does 'printed and electronic collateral' mean ?

Do they really need to use such bollocky language?

For some real bollocky language see here from Joe Ferry, head of design for Virgin Atlantic:
It’s critical that we portray and live our differentiating brand values.
#751531 by Guest
04 Aug 2010, 15:43
Bill S wrote:Further views on the design company website. These do place the paint scheme in a better light.

tontybear wrote:What on earth does 'printed and electronic collateral' mean ?

Do they really need to use such bollocky language?

For some real bollocky language see here from Joe Ferry, head of design for Virgin Atlantic:
It’s critical that we portray and live our differentiating brand values.

I can smell the BS from here :w
#751536 by Guest
04 Aug 2010, 15:57
Bill S wrote:
hackneyguy wrote:I can smell the BS from here :w

Perhaps the bullocky language ):

As Virgin like to promote cowshed products perhaps we should expect anything less than them talking it :|
#751676 by jwhite9185
05 Aug 2010, 19:41
Must admit its growing on me.

And did anybody spot the reg on the A330 - G-VNYC. Wonder if thats going to be a real one?
#751837 by hat
06 Aug 2010, 15:17
so as i disembarked at heathrow this morning i looked out of the window at the arrival gate & realised we had been on Mustang Sally with her new paint job. As she was parked up between another 747 & an A300 i got a good look at how the new design looks against the old. i have to say when you see it, it looks much more up to date. Yes it's more minimal in design but this looks classier overall & makes the silver paint job look very dated. The tail is a much darker red than the existing planes too
#751841 by crispin
06 Aug 2010, 15:57
It seems that the feedback from people who have seen her in the flesh is very positive :) I like even the pictures so I can't wait to see her!
#751904 by jubjubbird
07 Aug 2010, 07:51
Tinkerbelle wrote:
jubjubbird wrote:Just need a shot to see the full effect of the belly livery :?

Looks pretty good here:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Virgin-Atlantic-Airways/Boeing-747-41R/1755001/L/

Wow - am loving the red metallic paint in that photo.

Sadly the day I saw G-VROC it was raining so she looked like this:

Amazing how different the same object can look! I agree, the red really does look good. :)

So is the main body actually white now, or still the silvery tone of old?
#751920 by hat
07 Aug 2010, 11:17
the main body is white & the main lettering is purple. i can see my seat from that picture! i was say spanning the first 3 windows on the top deck
#752039 by Sealink
08 Aug 2010, 16:21
I like the fact that they have branding on the underside of the 'plane.
I looked up at a 'plane the other day which had "CITYJET.COM" very clearly showing - thought it was very effective.
#752094 by McMaddog
09 Aug 2010, 10:54
Just noticed an interesting snippet:
All VS aircraft are being given an extra week on top of maintence to come to MAN for painting, as VS have made a big deal over this livery and dont want several versions of their livery on aircraft.
All will be comming to MAN as only air livery and VS maintence at LHR have the templates (as far as Im aware).
Next few in:
G-VSUN A343 (currently awaiting release from MNL)
G-VFOX A346 (just entered shop at MNL)
G-VGOA A346 (preparing for ferry to MNL)
And then should be:
G-VFAB B744 (still in the birthday colours)
G-VWEB A346 (after MNL maintence)
G-VAST B744 (at a time its MAN based)
G-VELD A343 (may postn straight from LHR, but more than likely after MNL maintence)

Info came from plane-mad.com

It's interesting the 343s are being done. Now the usual answer is that regardless of life expectancy maintenance requires them to be repainted every so often, but wasn't G-VSUN only repainted last year? I guess this adds fuel to what VS previously stated that the 330s were for growth and the 787s were for 343 replacement and growth.
#752137 by lockedm
09 Aug 2010, 18:57
G-VSUN A343 (currently awaiting release from MNL)

I can confirm that G-VSUN has not got the new livery. I returned on her yesterday from EWR which was her second segment since returning from Manila. Interesting for a plane that has just been through a thorough inspection, she had a minor technical fault which came to light as we were about to take off! Don't know what it was, but it was fixed in 30 mins.
#752211 by locutus
10 Aug 2010, 12:27

It's getting a lot of negative comments on Facebook. I wonder if anyone at VS is wondering if they've made a mistake venturing into these social sites where users can provide such public feedback.
#752239 by Martin
10 Aug 2010, 18:18
Having looked at the marketing company pages (thanks Bill S), including all the BS ): like "needed a typographic refresh", I now understand their choice of size of font. It fits well on the right hand side of a 744 as in the picture below. Much better than the left hand side of a 744 where the top of the letters in Virgin get cropped. It works well on A340s where there is no upper deck to spoil the effect. Image

Also, I have to say that the new logo - seen here in its entireity - is quite good.

I guess from an unconvinced start, I'm warming to the change :)
#752243 by Bill S
10 Aug 2010, 18:40
There seems to be a great difference depending upon the brightness of the Sun.
Bright days make the red stand out as something special - on dull days it is somewhat less effective.
I guess I'm just going to have to wait to see it at MCO.
Virgin Atlantic