This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960915 by ashs350K
16 Feb 2023, 22:25
Looks like Korean Air is likely to offer the Avianca Slot (LHR>ICN) to Virgin Atlantic.

If approved and announced on 2nd of Mar along with SkyTeam how long would it be before the first flight takes off. I am trying to work out if it’s better waiting for that or use my points on LAX and take advantage of 30% discount
#960938 by VS075
19 Feb 2023, 15:39
Given the withdrawal from HKG, part of me would have been surprised if a new eastern route was started, though obviously Korean Air is in SkyTeam and provides connection options to Japan and other cities located in that part of the world.
#960945 by tontybear
20 Feb 2023, 23:53
I wouldn't expect a quick actual start of service as the shortest route is over Russia and UK based airlines are banned from over flying and alternative routes may not be practical or economic to operate
#961017 by flyingfox
01 Mar 2023, 18:29
One step closer for VS as they have been given the green light

Virgin Atlantic is primed to start services to Seoul after it was granted flying rights following the merger of Korean Air and Asiana.

More details can be found here
#961172 by flyingfox
24 Mar 2023, 14:37
VS have announced a codesharing agreement with Korean Air details can be found here

Codeshare between London Heathrow and Seoul Incheon to launch this Saturday, 25th March.

Agreement will be expanded to include further destinations in Asia and Australasia from June.

With Virgin Atlantic’s recent enrolment into the SkyTeam alliance, customers will be able to earn and redeem Virgin Points and take advantage of SkyPriority benefits.

Virgin Atlantic has announced a new codeshare agreement with Korean Air, offering customers more opportunities to fly seamlessly to South Korea and beyond.

The first phase of the agreement, which launches on 25 March, will allow customers booking through Virgin Atlantic the opportunity to travel directly to Incheon Airport, in South Korea’s capital, Seoul. By June customers will be able to connect onwards from Seoul to a variety of destinations throughout Japan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand.

The codeshare with Korean Air is a first step towards Virgin Atlantic's entry to Seoul and is set to enhance the airline’s network in Asia. From May, services to Shanghai, China will resume, alongside an expanded codeshare with IndiGo throughout India and beyond.

Korean Air is one of the founding members of the SkyTeam alliance, of which Virgin Atlantic joined earlier this month. Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members will be able to take advantage of SkyPriority services at Seoul Incheon, including priority check in, baggage handling and boarding.

Juha Jarvinen, Chief Commercial Officer at Virgin Atlantic, commented:
“We’re pleased to launch a codeshare with Korean Air, as we know such agreements bring an array of benefits to our customers. As one of Asia’s major carriers, Virgin Atlantic customers can benefit from its extensive route network, that will offer more choice throughout Asia and Australasia.
“Our enrolment into SkyTeam, of which Korean Air is a founding member, enhances customers benefits further. Our Flying Club members can enjoy SkyPriority benefits at both London Heathrow and Seoul Incheon as well as earning and redeeming miles across Korean Air’s network.”

Destinations available for onward connections;

Date Destinations
May 2023 Brisbane, Sydney, Auckland, Da Nang, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
June 2023 Hong Kong, Fukuoka, Kansai, Tokyo Haneda, Nagoya, Tokyo Narita, Okinawa
#961291 by Martin
11 Apr 2023, 14:12
I've just been looking at booking VS to Seoul and currently, even for Feb and March 2024, it says: "VS5502 AIRCRAFT TYPE BOEING 777-300ER Operated by Korean Air"
Hopefully they will get some Virgin planes to take over at some point.
#961292 by CommanderB
11 Apr 2023, 14:24
I heard from an FSM there is another easterly route (possibly Seoul) coming on VS metal. But this is a matter of months not weeks.
Virgin Atlantic