This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#965703 by NYC123
16 Aug 2022, 13:42
Hi

It's the wife's 50th next July so looking to book a surprise trip to the states (one of NY/LAX/LAS/SFO.)

Currently, I have 300k+ miles in my account and a credit card companion voucher - also have 80k Amex points.

Idea is to go out in UC and come back in PE

Just wondering about the best way of utilising the voucher? (if availability wasn't an issue).

I'm assuming it's book myself using points and then use the voucher for her side of the booking?

Also any recommendations on the destination - We've done NY 4 times and both love it but I thought a change would be nice. Which is the most similar - ie easiest to get about without a car?
#965711 by Louie84x
16 Aug 2022, 20:43
I would recommend using points for 2 x PE returns and then using the voucher to upgrade the outbound to UC for you both. We’ve done this for Vegas twice, such good value when the difference in points cost between PE and UC is large. You’ll need to ring to book :-)
#965714 by AlsirAl
17 Aug 2022, 06:01
I would advise a 2 stage approach.

Step 1.

Use seatspy to see reward availability. Make a list of your different options for destinations and dates the work for you. If you run out of searches then just re post on here as I’m sure dozens of us have membership and can check for you.

Step 2.

Find a spare 2 hours, get a nice cup of tea, some snacks, maybe a cool drink and give flying club a call :) they are super helpful and will be able to check all the cash elements and points required for you (extra taxes and tickets in the required fare classes are not always shown on their website) you will also be able to book with them on the phone.
#965719 by NYC123
17 Aug 2022, 12:25
Thanks for the replies/tips.

I'm now considering booking reward flights in UC both ways, however on the outbound going from CDG via LHR to JFK (fees would be so much cheaper. It's showing availability on a test run (dates I need haven't been released yet) and JFK LHR on the inbound.

Two questions though:

Would I still be able to use companion voucher?

And the test run is only showing a stopover in London of under two hours - assume the system is set up to keep this to a minimum - So as I'd have to call up to book as using the voucher would they be able to search for alternate flights from Paris to extend the stopover so we could spend time in the Clubhouse?
#965721 by CommanderB
17 Aug 2022, 14:42
Louie84x wrote:I would recommend using points for 2 x PE returns and then using the voucher to upgrade the outbound to UC for you both. We’ve done this for Vegas twice, such good value when the difference in points cost between PE and UC is large. You’ll need to ring to book :-)

I'd 100% agree with this.
#965722 by mitchja
17 Aug 2022, 14:46
NYC123 wrote:Thanks for the replies/tips.

I'm now considering booking reward flights in UC both ways, however on the outbound going from CDG via LHR to JFK (fees would be so much cheaper. It's showing availability on a test run (dates I need haven't been released yet) and JFK LHR on the inbound.

Two questions though:

And the test run is only showing a stopover in London of under two hours - assume the system is set up to keep this to a minimum - So as I'd have to call up to book as using the voucher would they be able to search for alternate flights from Paris to extend the stopover so we could spend time in the Clubhouse?

You can only use companion or upgrade vouchers when the flight is operated by VS themselves. You can’t use vouchers on any other codeshare or partner airline unfortunately.
#965723 by NYC123
17 Aug 2022, 15:47
mitchja wrote:
NYC123 wrote:Thanks for the replies/tips.

Two questions though:

You can only use companion or upgrade vouchers when the flight is operated by VS themselves. You can’t use vouchers on any other codeshare or partner airline, unfortunately.

Ahh ok,
#965858 by NYC123
02 Sep 2022, 14:32
Have booked the flights LHR-LAS out in UC and back in PE using the voucher and 115k miles. Thanks for the advice.

Looking at the layout of the UC seats which would you recommend for a couple, have only gone UC previously in the old-style two-row 747 layouts where we sat on the same side.
Virgin Atlantic