This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#167105 by Bazz
12 Apr 2007, 10:56
Good spot Neil [y]

Wonder what the phrase "...amend the franchise agreement to allow the new airline to exist separately from the Virgin brand..." actually means? Where is Onionz when you need him?

It would appear from the brief synopsis in the piece that the changes are indeed very considerable. Let's hope the DOT agree to the request!
#167260 by VS-EWR
12 Apr 2007, 22:48
I feel like that quote means that Virgin America will be sort of like Virgin Mobile USA, wherein the company really has nothing to do with Virgin, it's just paying to use the brand name. I'm not sure how bad that would really be.

Virgin America might want to watch out though. It only barely got permission to fly and asking for a bit more might put them back where it started.
#167303 by tallprawn
13 Apr 2007, 10:33
I agree with Nick, I don't think VX would be wise to push DOT over this and should accept the conditions given...:D

How horrifying would it be to see DOT reverse their decision just because VX pushed a little too hard to keep Fred.
#167474 by vs_itsallgood
14 Apr 2007, 00:10
Originally posted by tallprawn
I agree with Nick, I don't think VX would be wise to push DOT over this and should accept the conditions given...:D

How horrifying would it be to see DOT reverse their decision just because VX pushed a little too hard to keep Fred.
DOT will do exactly that; it is my view that we can all kiss Fred Reid goodbye, or stop planning to grab a seat on the first available VX flights just for V-flyer bragging rights, 'cause they won't be flying at all.

VX has a choice: choose another, or pack it in. DOT rarely reverses their original decision; VX got more than I'd expected. It is now 'know when to put up and shut up' time. If they don't, DOT will be more than happy to put the skids to VX altogether.
Virgin Atlantic