This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#261586 by squish
13 Dec 2009, 23:34
Hi

I have a 'direct' reward flight from London to Sydney (VS200) which I booked in Economy using miles.

There's never a time when both the London to Hong Kong (VS200) and the Hong Kong to Sydney (VS200) legs both have PE availability, so it seems there is never going to be any chance of me upgrading the 'direct' flight.

There is however availability for the Hong Kong to Sydney leg of the journey. I rang up Virgin and they said I cannot split my economy flight in to two and upgrade the second leg. Apparently, I would need to cancel my economy 'direct' reward flight and then re-book a London to Hong Kong economy ticket. Of course, there is no availability to do that.

This annoys me a lot because obviously I already have an economy ticket for both legs it's just of the 'direct' variety instead of for the component parts.

So... the question is... is it really the case that you can't break one of these 'direct' flights up to their individual legs and upgrade one leg? Is the lesson here that you should always book two separate reward flights (London to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Sydney) in different bookings so that you have the option to upgrade either leg at a later time?

I hope that makes sense.

James