This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#948367 by Dobbo
26 Jan 2019, 22:35
Joshl257 wrote:Laing O'Rourke who is the main construction company for the new T2X made a lot of changes to the original design. One being putting all piers on stilts to reduce changes in levels for passengers. I think the plan is to go open pier 1 build pier 3 and then pier 2. Pier 2 is where the USCPC was going to go and a new bus lounge for remote stands. With the VS takeover of Flybe there will be a need for some kind of domestic gate operation.

I think they've changed the proposal on the piers at least three times. I have wondered if the VS/BE Connect tie up might cause a further rethink in the design and provision (including such things as domestic gates, building out Pier 2 in full, increased transfer facilities, revisit USPC).

Much depends on the scale of VS's ambitions at MAN. If they are aiming to base in excess of (say) 15 long haul aircraft at MAN, it opens up what might be economically viable as a set-up.
#948375 by ColOrd
27 Jan 2019, 09:31
United States Pre Clearance

The process by which you can complete all immigration and customs checks before leaving the origin airport. Means you ineffect arrive as a Domestic passenger at your airport in the US.
#948376 by David
27 Jan 2019, 09:50
ColOrd wrote:United States Pre Clearance

The process by which you can complete all immigration and customs checks before leaving the origin airport. Means you ineffect arrive as a Domestic passenger at your airport in the US.

ah, :-) thank you
#948377 by gumshoe
27 Jan 2019, 12:49
Dobbo wrote:Much depends on the scale of VS's ambitions at MAN. If they are aiming to base in excess of (say) 15 long haul aircraft at MAN, it opens up what might be economically viable as a set-up.

That would be one hell of an expansion. This month there are no more than three flights a day out of MAN - and sometimes just one.

Obviously that’ll increase for the summer but 15 is pushing it! 6 or 7 maybe, which would make it similar in scale to LGW.
#948401 by Dobbo
29 Jan 2019, 20:44
gumshoe wrote:
Dobbo wrote:Much depends on the scale of VS's ambitions at MAN. If they are aiming to base in excess of (say) 15 long haul aircraft at MAN, it opens up what might be economically viable as a set-up.

That would be one hell of an expansion. This month there are no more than three flights a day out of MAN - and sometimes just one.

Obviously that’ll increase for the summer but 15 is pushing it! 6 or 7 maybe, which would make it similar in scale to LGW.

Apologies for the slow response - haven’t had the time to respond.

I agree 15+ long haul aircraft is ambitious, but to clarify (as my previous post was not clear) I do not view this as likely or commercially desirable in the short term. If this is the objective, it would have to be a mid to long term project (say 4-5 years).

However, in the long term I think this size of base is being contemplated, and I’ll explain why I think that below.

As things stand, for summer 2019, VS is basing 6 aircraft at MAN, 4x B744 and 2x A330. This is said to be a 20% seat growth on 2018 (which was itself an approximate 15% seat growth on 2017). In short, VS is growing quickly at MAN and while some of that can be attributed to the enforced use of the B744, the evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) suggests the larger aircraft are being filled on a regular basis and this may give confidence moving forwards.

Fleet - once the fleet “crisis” is resolved, it is reasonable to expect the B744s to be replaced by the smaller A330s (no longer needed to fill in for out of service B789s).

Capacity - If VS wish to keep overall seat capacity at about the same level as summer 2019, you could expect 3x or 4x A330s replace 2x B744s in Summer 2020 (leaving 2x B744 and 5x or 6x A330). If VS are looking to achieve a similar 20% capacity growth, you aren’t far off double figures for based long haul aircraft. Depending on what is done with the legacy BE network the long haul growth might continue. The big question for me is whether the seasonal disparity can be evened out, and this might require a more diverse route portfolio.

Strategy - what are VS looking to achieve at MAN, how does this fit in with DL, AF/KL, 9W & KE JVs, and how does this help them compete with (in particular) IAG and LH group?

To me, this feels like an attempt to move some transfer traffic from LHR and AMS in order to release capacity there for more point to point traffic. In particular, traffic from the rest of the UK (which often uses AMS) and India-USA traffic (which usually routes via LHR on 9W/VS). It is in effect, the DL/VS equivalent of DUB, a cheaper TATL hub which can offer some decent connections.

To make it work it needs to offer nigh on daily connections on a year round basis to, from and between the likes of JFK, ATL, BOS, LAX, SFO, SEA, LAS, DEL, BOM, JNB, CPT, ICN - perhaps others. I don’t know if the market is there, and it would be commercial suicide to dump all that capacity at once. I’d imagine it would be drip fed.

An interesting question is what might happen with TCX’s network at MAN. TCX’s long haul airline is speculated to be up for sale and may be of interest to VS in order to give economies of scale. It currently offers daily or thereabouts flights to the likes of JFK, MCO, LAS as well as seasonal services to the likes of GOA, LAX, SEA and a number of Caribbean destinations.

If you are a glass half full person, you could see a scenario whereby an organic increase of VS aircraft gets to 10 or so based Long haul, with an acquisition of TCX quickly taking numbers over a critical mass needed if their strategy is what I speculate it might be.

Hope this clarifies my thoughts!
#948459 by Dobbo
02 Feb 2019, 10:56
Some data on VS's programme at MAN this summer.

Overall seat capacity increases to 824,537 seats, and increase of 18.2% on last year's 697,680.

As I think we all know, SFO has been cut from the programme for this year and this removes 32,774 seats over 114 movements. This has been effectively replaced by LAX, with 36,498 seats (over 132 movements).

The big increases are on ATL (seat capacity increase of 73.4% to 183,540 over 420 movements - compared to 105,820 seats over 369 movements in s18) and BOS (seat capacity increase of 57.3% to 35,378 over 133 movements - compared to 22,496 seats over 78 movements). I think much of the ATL increase is achieved via the use of the B744, as much as additional movements.

The other trunk routes of JFK (191,100 available seats, a 9.8% increase) and MCO (277,235 available seats, a 3.2% increase) show modest growth on a percentage basis, and BGI is relatively flat (0.0% change on movements, -5.4% available seat capacity).

LAS shows a 99.2% increase in movements, with a 16.4% increase in available seats - which reflects the use of the A330 instead of the B744 (I think).
#949499 by Dobbo
25 Mar 2019, 21:58
Sounds like VS are going to offer the “twilight check in service” at MAN from 1 April. This service is for passengers who want to check their bags in the night before they fly.
#949502 by mitchja
25 Mar 2019, 22:34
Dobbo wrote:Sounds like VS are going to offer the “twilight check in service” at MAN from 1 April. This service is for passengers who want to check their bags in the night before they fly.

I guess that ties into the opening of pier 1 (and the new multi-storey carpark) which is the first phase of the new terminal which is also 1st April.
#949507 by mitchja
26 Mar 2019, 04:06
ColOrd wrote:I wonder if it will be Flybe staff that staff it?

Not unless they change terminals as Flybe are currently in T3 whilst VS are in T2 at MAN.
#949516 by Treelo
26 Mar 2019, 12:25
Dobbo wrote:Sounds like VS are going to offer the “twilight check in service” at MAN from 1 April. This service is for passengers who want to check their bags in the night before they fly.

Would this be seen as a bit of a kick in the teeth for Thomas Cook and Tui who have had to stop offering this service for MAN-USA flights?
#949524 by Dobbo
26 Mar 2019, 18:50
Treelo wrote:

Would this be seen as a bit of a kick in the teeth for Thomas Cook and Tui who have had to stop offering this service for MAN-USA flights?

I hadn’t appreciated that Thomas Cook and TUi offered a twilight check in service at MAN - so that is news to me either way!

If you are right, it certainly offers Virgin Atlantic a competitive edge vis a vis Thomas Cook and TUi.

I’m at this point it is probably relevant that Virgin Atlantic might be poised to become MAN’s largest airline customer, subject to what is done with Connect Airways. Also, it may offer a reasonably significant hub operation, which MAN has lusted after for some time. These types of things could give VS significant leverage in commercial negotiations (obviously they cannot be anticompetitive).
#949527 by Treelo
26 Mar 2019, 19:56
A post over on the Dibb following a tweet to/from VS advises there is to be a trial of Twilight Check-in from 1 Apr to 31 May.
#949534 by Dobbo
26 Mar 2019, 23:22
Also a post on PPRUNE claiming that Virgin Atlantic are going to acquire A220’s for the Connect Airways fleet, and use them on MAN-LHR/LGW.

The first part of that is not unreasonable, the A220 has a lot going for it and has a good chance of working well for Connect. However, the second part of that is bizarre - the LHR-MAN shuttle has had its day (even for BA) and was a spectacular failure in the days of little red. I don’t see how anything has changed to improve that (if anything it’s moved the other way) and therefore cannot see a MAN-LHR/LGW route being anything other than a disaster (which I don’t think VS will do).
#949539 by ColOrd
27 Mar 2019, 07:13
Delta love the 220 and let’s face it Delta are behind the Flybe purchase so that makes sense. I can absolutely see this, but not LHR/LGW-MAN. Now if you had said EDI&GLA I might have agreed with you.
#949542 by Dobbo
27 Mar 2019, 09:50
ColOrd wrote:Delta love the 220 and let’s face it Delta are behind the Flybe purchase so that makes sense. I can absolutely see this, but not LHR/LGW-MAN. Now if you had said EDI&GLA I might have agreed with you.

I agree - could see the A220 on EDI/GLA - LHR, and perhaps some routes from MAN, but not MAN-LHR.

(Nb - I’m assuming that in any scenario there will be minimal to no Connext Airways presence at LGW)
#949554 by spacedog
27 Mar 2019, 18:37
I guess I'm in the minority as we'd find a MAN > LHR route really useful, but sadly Little Red just couldn't make it work. I am really excited about all the developments at MAN. It's definitely felt like the airport forgotten in time for many years, so seeing VS invest in it is really positive for us as we fly from there for 90% of our travel.
#949555 by mitchja
28 Mar 2019, 03:12
If you look at passenger number stats though for Manchester airport, domestic pax numbers are declining, and have been for some time now.

I can’t remember the last time I flew from MAN>LHR as it’s far far easier, cheaper and a lot less hassle for me going down to Heathrow on the train these days.
#949557 by ColOrd
28 Mar 2019, 09:35
I would tend to agree, there’s a huge market in Manchester and the North but as VS, SQ, TCX, CX and many more have expanded there they have killed off part of the demand for BAs shuttle service. Coupled with really what’s a fantastic (well I am a career railwayman!) service from Virgin West Coast with 3 Trains per hour for genuine domestic O&D traffic. Domestic from MAN is largely irrelevant.
#949559 by VS075
28 Mar 2019, 10:24
ColOrd wrote:I would tend to agree, there’s a huge market in Manchester and the North but as VS, SQ, TCX, CX and many more have expanded there they have killed off part of the demand for BAs shuttle service. Coupled with really what’s a fantastic (well I am a career railwayman!) service from Virgin West Coast with 3 Trains per hour for genuine domestic O&D traffic. Domestic from MAN is largely irrelevant.

Not to mention Manchester Piccadilly-London Euston taking just 2 hours which more than wipes out any time savings to be made by flying unless you need to go to the area where LHR is. When HS2 is built it'll decrease further and even further again when the northern spur to Manchester opens, including a station at MAN itself near to where the Marriott is.
#949564 by mitchja
28 Mar 2019, 14:25
LNER also launch their new Azuma trains on the Leeds to Kings Cross East coast line route in May as well bringing that journey down to <2hrs as well.

It's an absolute no brainer for me. The very civilised LNER First Class journey compared to the bun flight / flight for locker space which is BA domestic >-( . LNER First Class fares are usually cheaper too.
#949565 by Restus
28 Mar 2019, 14:29
Flybe have just announced IOM-LHR route starting in April. I've always been quite dedicated to MAN, but until the new Clubhouse opens... looks like it's LHR for me! :D
It's good to see Connect making moves already.
#949566 by jakedonson
28 Mar 2019, 16:44
I suppose having MAN to LHR flights would also contradict any reasons for expanding Manchester and making it a hub. However, could we seem them doing other domestic flights to Heathrow already serviced by BA such as Newcastle or Leeds?
Virgin Atlantic