This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#954772 by pjh
07 Mar 2020, 17:19
tontybear wrote:I'm in NYC in a fortnight.

I won't be taking any specific precautions over and above what I normally do such as I usually carry a (very) small bottle* of alco gel (covers some viruses but not corona) and wet wipes in my day bag for when I can't actually wash my hands during the day.

It came from a DL amenity kit that I just top up from a larger bottle in my wash bag

Raided my DL amenity kits and now I don't have to spend as long in Boots pretending to look for condoms rather than hand sanitiser; a bit of a reversal from my younger days. Backed up by bottle of high strength Boots stuff ("inflammable", the bottle reads) that we have leftover from having the house extended last year. At current rate, the bottle is probably worth more than the house extension..
#954782 by mitchja
08 Mar 2020, 12:21
benarsenal645 wrote:We have a villa booked in Florida end of July to mid august. We haven't booked our flights yet, but noticed they seem quite competitive at the moment. Not sure to hold out and see what happens with the price and/or the virus going forward!

Yep, I've just got a good deal on flights to FLL for the New Year. Approx. £500 less than I paid last year for the same flights in J on VS which is a good deal IMHO.

This virus is not stopping me from travelling this year (unless things start getting canceled).
#954785 by Murraymint
08 Mar 2020, 14:39
mitchja wrote:
benarsenal645 wrote:We have a villa booked in Florida end of July to mid august. We haven't booked our flights yet, but noticed they seem quite competitive at the moment. Not sure to hold out and see what happens with the price and/or the virus going forward!

Yep, I've just got a good deal on flights to FLL for the New Year. Approx. £500 less than I paid last year for the same flights in J on VS which is a good deal IMHO.

This virus is not stopping me from travelling this year (unless things start getting canceled).

Me too - just slipped in 2 weeks to Orlando in January. PE for just over £700.
#954790 by spacedog
08 Mar 2020, 19:35
A quick query, but does anyone know what date change fees generally cost? I've struggled to find any information about this anywhere. For example, can you do a date change on a Z fare, and if so, how much is it, roughly? Same question for PE H and K fares. We don't plan to change any of our travel plans currently (we go to Mexico for work this week, Japan in April in a holiday and California in July for work again), but I was just curious to have the info to hand for any future Virgin flights we're booking.
#954791 by spacedog
08 Mar 2020, 19:37
Also I've noticed loads of great prices with VS from LHR, but flights from Manchester are so expensive! We're going to NYC in early October and it's massively expensive from MAN on all dates, but LHR is showing some great fares (and mileage availability, which is also totally lacking from MAN). I know there are more daily flights from LHR which will have an impact, but it's definitely making me think taking the train down is worth it.
#954793 by FLYERZ
08 Mar 2020, 20:56
Quite frustrated at the moment. I had booked through ebookers a return flight to Singapore (a few months ago) for mid-April. With the development of Coronavirus I've contacted ebookers to see what can be done in terms of changing dates and whether they would waive the change fee. Their policy seems to be they will waive the change fee if the operating airline is offering the same.

Over the last few days I've been holding out to make a decision about what to do for our trip. Given the location and to avoid hassle/stress we though we would push the dates out to Nov. Seeing a few airlines start to fold and offer a free waiver I've been helpful. Then further, a few days ago I noticed this https://www.qantas.com/gb/en/travel-inf ... virus.html. Qantas actually stating that one a handful of their flights passengers have had the virus and therefore passengeres in nearby rows should get tested.

With the above I expected they would surely be waiving the change fee. Having got in touch with their customer service team just now they are coldly shrugging this off. Stating that their aircraft are cleaned t medical standards bla bla bla and that I should talk to the 3rd party agent I booked through about changing. I even explained that their measures of cleaning won't prevent history repeating itself on one of their flights and potentially sitting near someone with the virus. Am I overreacting or is this really unfair? Particularly when they have pointed out that passengers have travelled with the virus on their flights recently!
#954805 by VS075
09 Mar 2020, 13:25
spacedog wrote:Also I've noticed loads of great prices with VS from LHR, but flights from Manchester are so expensive! We're going to NYC in early October and it's massively expensive from MAN on all dates, but LHR is showing some great fares (and mileage availability, which is also totally lacking from MAN). I know there are more daily flights from LHR which will have an impact, but it's definitely making me think taking the train down is worth it.

It's only VS and United in the MAN-NYC market nowadays, so I'm not surprised they're naming their price. I expect ex-London flights to be more impacted given the huge volumes of business traffic going to/from London, hence some of the discounts you're seeing. That said, if this goes on and cuts start taking place from MAN, I do fear whether some of these would actually return once the virus blows over.

mitchja wrote:This virus is not stopping me from travelling this year (unless things start getting canceled).

I too am continuing with my travel plans and other life plans until told otherwise, though the FCO changing travel advice or flights being cancelled could force my hand. I'm also adopting common-sense approach to hygiene but not joining in the panic buying that's been taking place over the last few days.

If major events start being cancelled/postponed/played behind closed doors, I'll start to become concerned.
#954809 by spacedog
09 Mar 2020, 14:29
VS075 wrote:
spacedog wrote:Also I've noticed loads of great prices with VS from LHR, but flights from Manchester are so expensive! We're going to NYC in early October and it's massively expensive from MAN on all dates, but LHR is showing some great fares (and mileage availability, which is also totally lacking from MAN). I know there are more daily flights from LHR which will have an impact, but it's definitely making me think taking the train down is worth it.

It's only VS and United in the MAN-NYC market nowadays, so I'm not surprised they're naming their price. I expect ex-London flights to be more impacted given the huge volumes of business traffic going to/from London, hence some of the discounts you're seeing. That said, if this goes on and cuts start taking place from MAN, I do fear whether some of these would actually return once the virus blows over.

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. We might end up changing some of our future travel back to LHR based on price, MAN is much more convenient but when it's almost double the price on some routes it's hard to justify.

Like you we're just carrying on in a "business as usual" vein unless we are forced into altering. We're not panic buying or cancelling any trips, just practicing good hygiene (as always!)
#954819 by gumshoe
09 Mar 2020, 21:12
virginboy747 wrote:Looks like Israel preparing to close their borders and stop all flights

Israel has now confirmed everyone arriving will have to self-quarantine for 14 days. Israelis effective immediately, foreigners from Thurs, for two weeks.

Difficult to see how VS (and all airlines) will be able to keep flying to TLV unless air crews are exempted.
#954821 by SlimpyJones
09 Mar 2020, 22:06
gumshoe wrote:
virginboy747 wrote:Looks like Israel preparing to close their borders and stop all flights

Israel has now confirmed everyone arriving will have to self-quarantine for 14 days. Israelis effective immediately, foreigners from Thurs, for two weeks.

Difficult to see how VS (and all airlines) will be able to keep flying to TLV unless air crews are exempted.

Looks like flights to and from TLV are no longer being sold for the next seven days. Or by some miracle they are all sold out..!!
#954823 by LREDI
10 Mar 2020, 00:25
I fully expect TLV to be suspended any day.

In addition, Qantas has just announced a 25% reduction in their international routes, plus sizeable pay cuts across the organisation. https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -response/

BA/IAGs cuts must be coming and will be significant I expect...

I also don’t think we’ve seen the last of the cuts from VS. Things are going to get worse, business travel is tightening even further.
#954824 by tontybear
10 Mar 2020, 02:19
BA are cutting almost 20% overall from some short haul routes. some routes are losing more such as LHR-DUB is being cut 25% - 13 flights a week

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-06mar20/

Extensive Long haul will surely follow.

They are likely praying for a losening of the 80/20 use or lose rule.

they have an added complication that the flybe slots have been handed back to the as well.
#954826 by gumshoe
10 Mar 2020, 05:08
tontybear wrote:they have an added complication that the flybe slots have been handed back to the as well.

The slots which used to be Little Red’s and would have become VS’s to use as it pleased had Flybe survived just a few months longer.

Yet another reason why I can’t see Virgin Connect ever launching now. I just hope VS is strong enough to ride out covid-19, as things are surely only going to get worse before they get better.
#954828 by McMaddog
10 Mar 2020, 07:48
LREDI wrote:I also don’t think we’ve seen the last of the cuts from VS. Things are going to get worse, business travel is tightening even further.

Yes, as an example I work for an international company with branches. Not only is international travel banned but from yesterday even domestic office-office travel.
Virgin Atlantic