This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#960952 by roadrunner
21 Feb 2023, 23:04
I seriously cannot find where this is available on my VS US master card. I have vouchers for CH from last year but have spent well over the limit to qualify for companion tix but can't find them. Again. No notice either. Have called VS Master Card-- clueless.

Silver FC not a help ("Call Master Card").

Also a bit flabbergasted to discover I can't upgrade flights bought with points? AND have to pay extra to get our usual seats PE-- the ones where you can see more out the window than wing-- and can't use points for that either?

Help?
#960957 by mitchja
22 Feb 2023, 00:02
They should show on your Flying Club account. This is what my last one looks like (and there's usually 2 transactions pretty close together):

28 March 2022 28 March 2022 You have qualified for a credit card reward voucher
22 April 2022 22 April 2022 Virgin Atlantic Credit Card Reward Voucher

You may have to play around with dates when using the 'custom' date range using the full website. Failing that if you ring Flying Club, they should be able to find any vouchers you have on your account.

There's nothing anywhere that shows the vouchers on the VS Mastercard side (other than seeing your total spend via your annual statement which is tagged onto the end of your normal monthly statement issued in your account opening anniversary month; which for the Reward+ card is always the month you pay your £160 annual fee.

I thought you could upgrade flights with CC vouchers which were purchased using points as long as there is reward availability in the higher cabin?

VS also started charging extra for the Premium seats towards the front of the cabin on all A/C late last year sometime.
#960962 by CommanderB
22 Feb 2023, 12:43
mitchja wrote:They should show on your Flying Club account. This is what my last one looks like (and there's usually 2 transactions pretty close together):

Yeah, they do. But if you have a lot of transactions it gets lost quickly. The current system is a joke. VS need a little area on your flying club account that shows the vouchers as the BA account does. Heck, even being able to use them online as well maybe!?

mitchja wrote:I thought you could upgrade flights with CC vouchers which were purchased using points as long as there is reward availability in the higher cabin?

Yeah, that's the case. I asked about this the other day when making a booking because I'd forgotten what was available on my account. They can either be used as an upgrade voucher (basically allows you to upgrade for just the taxes & fees, no points) or use it as a companion voucher. The companion can be cash fare + reward fare or reward + reward. I think the companion is far more valuable than the upgrade option.
#961009 by EstelleB
28 Feb 2023, 15:58
I've found that the account activity in the app is much more reliable than when looking online. Recently I had 6000 points added from Tesco which didn't show at all when looking online but were clearly there on the app!

They can also check for you on the phone how many vouchers you have and when they expire. We have definitely upgraded reward bookings using the vouchers, but you do sometimes get someone on the phone from VA who doesn't have a clue what they are doing, so if you are told differently just leave it and try another time!
#961046 by mitchja
05 Mar 2023, 12:29
Having just done this myself this morning, I can 100% confirm that you can still use the credit card vouchers to upgrade a reward flight.

I called the FC Gold number using the book a flight menu option, got an agent straight away who then in turn passed to to a Flying Club gold agent again with practically zero call holding time. Total call time <9minutes.

I'd searched online for the Upper Class reward flights on the dates I wanted before calling. There only needs to be reward availability in the cabin you want to upgrade to (in my case Upper Class return though) and I was only charged the Premium Economy return reward milage (55,000 miles in my case + the Upper Class taxes+fees).
Virgin Atlantic