This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961022 by ashs350K
02 Mar 2023, 12:18
Just been hit by a double whammy of equipment changes for flights from LHR ro JFK in April. Outbound was KLM changing at Amsterdam: which went from a 787 to 777-200 , inbound was JFK to LHR on VS which changed from A339 neo to A333. Given a major consideration for me for booking this trip was to try out the new Neo interior, fair to say pretty upset about this.

Posting this here in case virgin has shuffled the planes around in prep for some new routes or maybe the neos might show up on a route where It wasn't going to previously.
#961024 by ashs350K
02 Mar 2023, 17:24
Sorry to hear that Jimbo, there's such a big disparity between the two products and the fact there is no refurb roadmap (publicly) available and the shocking customer service from Flying Club from Virgin makes me want to consider moving completely over to Avios ;as they have much more choice in terms of airlines and routes there. BA is now upgrading 787s to Club world too.
#961026 by CommanderB
02 Mar 2023, 17:44
ashs350K wrote:Sorry to hear that Jimbo, there's such a big disparity between the two products and the fact there is no refurb roadmap (publicly) available and the shocking customer service from Flying Club from Virgin makes me want to consider moving completely over to Avios ;as they have much more choice in terms of airlines and routes there. BA is now upgrading 787s to Club world too.

If you think VS customer service is bad, you're in for a whopping shock when dealing with BA!!
#961027 by mitchja
02 Mar 2023, 18:15
BA also have exactly the same CWS vs. old Club World gamble.

In terms of VS though; JFK is probably one of the most common routes for A/C swaps / changes.
#961028 by each27
02 Mar 2023, 23:54
How frustrating! (Hi, I'm new here!) Happened to us as well - A350 to A330. (VS4 JFK to LHR so I am hoping we do get the neo or at least the A350!)

It is imo the only crummy part about flying VS... the uncertainty of what equipment you will be on! No way to change your flight plans?
#961051 by Jamstern
05 Mar 2023, 15:32
Similarly to me, last month I booked a late flight UC LHR to JFK for Dec 2023, specifically as it was the A350. Just found out its swapped to the old A333.

While I understand VA are within their rights to change the aircraft, when the UC hard product is so different between planes, its a bit of a kick in the teeth.
#961052 by ashs350K
05 Mar 2023, 22:51
I understand operational issues etc but I do feel bait and switch is becoming rather common practice in the airline world and is not limited to virgin. I am sure you guys have read many QSuite disappointed customer posts online however Qatar actually offer to change to a QSuite flight for free.

I wonder if trading/advertising standards agency needs to take a look at this. If it was happening in another industry I am sure they would be facing some serious consequences from advertising standards agency.
#961059 by each27
07 Mar 2023, 04:13
It is a real bummer and feels like a bait and switch for sure, I would not have chosen the flight I did if I knew I'd be on an A333. Hope it switches back to A350 (every plane out of JFK to LHR that day is set as an A330 excepting the 8:30pm flight that got A339, so maybe I'll get lucky). Paid a lot to spoil my family on this trip in cash and SkyPesos, lol
#961064 by mikethe3rd
07 Mar 2023, 11:58
ashs350K wrote:I wonder if trading/advertising standards agency needs to take a look at this. If it was happening in another industry I am sure they would be facing some serious consequences from advertising standards agency.

I appreciate the disappointment but this is a bit of a stretch. When you purchase the ticket, they promise a lie-flat bed, lounge access, food service, luggage etc... They're purposefully not confident enough to promise aircraft-specific amenities. By all means, prove me wrong and let us know how you get on.

For those wanting a bit more control over the aircraft type, book a lot closer to your travel date. Changes can still happen but they're a lot more uncommon.
#961065 by Claphambear
07 Mar 2023, 13:52
I find nearer the date the more often the equipment changes - VS specific (especially to MCO and JFK, LAX not so much but then again ours has changed for next month )

I never book a flight expecting to be on same aircraft type these days ........
#961066 by FLYERZ
07 Mar 2023, 14:19
Isn’t it included in the Ts&Cs that aircraft may vary/change due to operational factors? Can’t exactly say it’s false advertising. By the nature of aircraft orders and replacement cycles airlines never have their latest product across all aircraft and all routes.
#961071 by ashs350K
07 Mar 2023, 17:47
I understand the T&Cs excuse and appreciate aircraft order lags etc. however Qatar provide option to switch to QSuite flight if equipment gets switched. This type of arrangement creates an incentive for planners to prioritise passenger preferences alongside operational logic. Where as with Virgin they can take the easy route out of any plane fits anywhere and passengers don’t have a leg to stand on. I feel if there was a financial impact to the airline we would see much less of this stuff happening. While I don’t know the ins and outs I suspect just like all of us here there will be plenty of people who will be skewing this demand to A350/A339 routes to fly the new product and pay higher price/use hard earned points on those routes. So if planning is ticket price focused then it would make sense to bait and switch to ensure maximum ticket price with minimal consequences. As people would pay less for a route if they know they will be on an A333 compared to A339/A350
Virgin Atlantic