This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961620 by mikethe3rd
26 May 2023, 13:20
Hello,

I can’t actually find this in the T&Cs but does anyone know when you can next apply for a Virgin Atlantic CC and receive the sign up bonus after cancelling the card?

Thanks,

Mike
#961626 by narikin
26 May 2023, 15:57
US or UK card?

Wasn't aware there was a defined churn length for the US one.

US one is actually great value - low annual fee, 1.5miles/ $1, then a bonus 15,000 at $15,000 spend which makes 2.5miles/ $1, then another 7,500 at 25,000, so you're close to 3miles/dollar for your general spend! And this is not counting the bonus TPs, birthday bonus miles, etc. If you fly Virgin, its a great card to have.

Yes churning them for sign up bonus is a thing for some, but I'm happy enough with straight up using mine. 6 months with no card would mean fewer TPs and make hitting status renewal more challenging.
#961628 by CommanderB
26 May 2023, 16:23
The US card is one of the very few CC's that earns you Tier Points. Brilliant card to have if you can get one.

If only we had that in the UK..
#961630 by mitchja
26 May 2023, 16:54
I've seen the 6 months figure posted online in a few different places. Do remember though that unlike AmEx cards, you will not receive any pro-rata refund for the annual fee for the Reward+ card if you cancel within 12 months.

I've also seen a few suggestions that if you have previously received the bonus points; whilst you may well be accepted again if you re-apply within 12 months of canceling, you probably wont receive the bonus points again.
#961642 by Blighty46
27 May 2023, 09:52
Apologies, slightly off topic - US card sounds good but which bank sponsors it and what are the qualifying requirements? ie How do I get one!
#961645 by narikin
27 May 2023, 13:59
US VS card is Bank of America Mastercard.

You'd need a US Social Security #, and US address, plus a credit history here. No good for people not US based. There's plenty online about it, but no way around the issues for UK based folk.
#961653 by mikethe3rd
27 May 2023, 21:24
mitchja wrote:Do remember though that unlike AmEx cards, you will not receive any pro-rata refund for the annual fee

Aha, I didn't know that!

Thanks all for your help.

Mike
#961655 by mitchja
27 May 2023, 21:48
I downgraded my AmEx Plat card to the Gold one a few months ago as they wouldn't budge on any retention offers (other than offering me the option to pay the membership fee monthly) . I got a pro-rata membership fee refund. I can no longer really justify the high fee for the Plat card anymore....it's just not worth it for me IMHO and nothing new has been added for several years now either.

AmEx customer service still takes some beating. Virgin Money CS is still as bad as ever and never seems to improve. Any Virgin points issues and they simply transfer you to Flying Club.

The churn for AmEx is now 24 months, however, if you do cancel and re-apply again within that 24 month window; whilst you won’t get the new application bonus, your ‘member since YYYY’ status is maintained.
Virgin Atlantic