This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#961635 by Kraken
26 May 2023, 20:27
In two and a bit weeks I have the pleasure (or otherwise) of the 1903 Lounge in T2 at MAN.

Just had a look on the MAN website and it makes it clear that there is a dress-code in force. It suggests that a rugby shirt is unacceptable attire - is this the case when being admitted on a VS issued invite (as in Upper Class)? It could be a clean, ironed rugby shirt with no offensive logos on (most likely an England O2 one).

Virgin certainly have no problems with admitting you into the LHR Clubhouse, the JFK Clubhouse or the Delta Sky Club in Orlando when similarly dressed. Even the old Escape Lounge in "T2 legacy" had no problems with such dress.
#961637 by CommanderB
26 May 2023, 22:09
I’ll be there in 17 days myself. Not planning on wearing a rugby shirt though! :D
#961639 by CommanderB
26 May 2023, 22:49
Kraken wrote:16days 15hrs until my visit (ish).

Actually I think we’re on the same flight 8-)
#961640 by Kraken
27 May 2023, 09:25
CommanderB wrote:

VS73 on the 12th June?
#961641 by mitchja
27 May 2023, 09:32
I cant see any issues. VS check-in will hand you a lounge pass. You may want to plan to get there early though as it can be difficult to find a table when it gets busy. Also be prepared to queue to get in. I've also never seen any VS staff presence in the lounge, though they do announce VS flight departures.

Whilst the 1903 lounge is a step up from the old Escape lounge; it's only a small step up. It can be a fair trek to the departure gates depending which once VS use.

I seem to remember reading somewhere recently that renovation work has now started on the old 200 gates (the old bit of T2), so they are now all closed and all flights depart from the newer (much nicer) A gates.
#961643 by CommanderB
27 May 2023, 10:14
Kraken wrote:
CommanderB wrote:

VS73 on the 12th June?

Yes indeed! :-D
#961644 by Kraken
27 May 2023, 10:28
mitchja wrote:I cant see any issues. VS check-in will hand you a lounge pass. You may want to plan to get there early though as it can be difficult to find a table when it gets busy. Also be prepared to queue to get in. I've also never seen any VS staff presence in the lounge, though they do announce VS flight departures.

Whilst the 1903 lounge is a step up from the old Escape lounge; it's only a small step up. It can be a fair trek to the departure gates depending which once VS use.

I seem to remember reading somewhere recently that renovation work has now started on the old 200 gates (the old bit of T2), so they are now all closed and all flights depart from the newer (much nicer) A gates.

I too in theory can't see an issue - as a VS issued lounge pass seems to override some rules. i.e. the 1903 does not allow babies or under 16's - but the T&C's state these may be present if on an airline invite.

You used to have to queue at the old Escape Lounge - normally when they were busy turning illiterate Priority Pass holders away who could not read the sign saying "Lounge at capacity / no access" [or similar] and were trying it on. The VS presence in the Escape Lounge / Escape Plus Lounge normally depended on there being grounded [so pregnant] MAN based cabin crew.

The renovation of the "legacy" 200 gates in T2 has started - the odd one may still be in use, but the jet-bridges have been removed from a few & when walking down the corridor [if you still can] in the direction of T1, all the concessions on the left hand side are boarded off - it looks rubbish, but is work in progress.

The new A gates are smarter for sure, but when you look up at the ceiling, or down at the floor you get a distinct impression you are in an IKEA store.
#961648 by deep_south
27 May 2023, 16:04
We were there back in February on a TUI premium flight which includes access. They had a list of, in effect, pre-booked passengers and had blocked off some tables for specific flights so you can get in. We bypassed the long queue of non booked people, there was a sign that split the queue into two.

I don't recall any dress code enforcement so you should be OK.
#961651 by Kraken
27 May 2023, 20:25
Is the 1903 Lounge in MAN T2 as bad as some of the TripAdvisor reports make out (particularly when on an airline invite)? There seem to be a lot of reports of 2hrs maximum being rigorously enforced / arrive late and your time is cut short / no allowance for delays etc.

From what I have read on TripAdvisor, it seems the 1903 Lounge in T2 MAN recruit reception staff directly from a Gestapo inspired finishing school.
#961652 by David1946
27 May 2023, 21:13
We used the lounge at the beginning of February and it was fine. We were in early and it was quiet. We were greeted inside by a member of the VS staff . As it has been pointed out VS were using the old gates and we were on 201 which was a long walk.
#961654 by mitchja
27 May 2023, 21:26
Wow, I've used the 1903 lounge several times now flying VS and I've yet to come across any VS uniformed staff in there?! Though the reception staff have always been pleasant and professional.

It's a shared entrance with the Escape lounge. Most paying pax are using the Escape lounge as that's cheaper, also paying pax numbers for the 1903 lounge are heavily controlled apparently. Other airlines do also use the 1903 lounge though. SQ is one. As already mentioned TUI is another. There's probably others as well as those are the only 2 lounges in T2.

I suspect the bad reviews are coming from walk-up pax who are getting turned away which you do see happen quite a bit?

It is a big step up for the old T2 Escape lounge. The food and drink selection is actually pretty good and you get nice views out of the windows. It also has it's own (albeit small) washroom. It just 'aint a Clubhouse :-O.

Here are some pics - that was Sept 21 flying to BGI with VS which was one of the few long-haul routes op-ing hence the lack of other pax in the photos:

IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG (340.44 KiB) Viewed 11330 times

IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG (221.44 KiB) Viewed 11330 times

IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG (242.82 KiB) Viewed 11330 times

IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG (288.79 KiB) Viewed 11330 times
#961750 by Kraken
12 Jun 2023, 13:08
Currently in a very busy 1903 lounge at MAN T2. There is quite literally nowhere to sit. If you're travelling alone you may just find a single seat (took me a while). If you are travelling as a couple or larger group, forget getting a seat.

I can also confirm that the 1903 / Escape lounge reception staff are every bit as rude more than a few TripAdvisor reports would suggest.

I should also add the Wifi in the 1903 lounge is not up to much either. Have had faster speeds from the on-board wifi on VS.
#961756 by mitchja
12 Jun 2023, 21:05
Cant imagine we will see a MAN Clubhouse this side of Christmas with only 3 VS flights a day at present (at least we are up from the 1 flight a day last month).

The WiFi (and mobile coverage) has always been poor in that lounge. Pretty much zero service on both EE and Vodafone. I don't even think WiFi calling would work either.
Virgin Atlantic