This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#301 by BlackCat
21 Feb 2004, 15:33
I think we've covered this before, but now that some in these parts have had experience of flying in the Suites, what would people say is the best selection for a couple travelling together?

The Cat has just used yet more reward points (my balance is now dropping alarmingly, but I think there's one more trip left in there [8D]) to book a couple of weeks for the Kitten and himself in San Fancisco in September.

The flight should be Suites so what is the best seat selection? The VS Suites site recommends one behind the other, but in the nose in 6A/K could be a nice solution but no overhead bin. It would be good to get away from any screaming brats, so does anyone know where these are likely to be situated -- bassinet positions etc?

Any thoughts?

BC
#25987 by mike-smashing
22 Feb 2004, 14:04
I don't pretend to be a guru, but when I last flew on VTOP, I couldn't see any obvious bassinet positions in UC at all.

At row 15 on the inside seats (D and G), the space between the bulkhead and the suite wall contains two air vents with "Do Not Cover" instructions, and there probably isn't enough room for a bassinet anyway.

I think 6A and 6K would be a good bet for a couple, as you can play footsie with each other! Downsides are no overhead bin, as you say, but this is made up by some space between the suite and the front bulkhead, and don't forget the steeper angle between the suite and the window makes it a head-twisting time if you want to see out the windows. I did a recent trip in 7K, and 7A isn't that far away.

Thinking about this, a de-mountable/retractable divider between the centre seats would have probably worked quite well for a couple - you would sleep head-to-head, which does mean you get a goodnight kiss .

I think one of you will be spending a lot of time on the "footstool" seat, or both of you at the bar!

Whatever you choose, have a good flight!

Cheers,
Mike
#26011 by Bazz
23 Feb 2004, 11:56
Hi BC,

I have this problem too, we are flying to LAX UC on 4 Sep. Seat allocation opens 8 March and I can't decide which suites to book. J2000 would not have been a problem as we enjoy each others company during the flight experience. I guess it will have to be one behind the other and much time perched on the ottoman (or at the bar, but even that has less seating now!).

I suppose in the nose at least the suites aren't staggered but presumably you have to lean forward to attract the attention of the person opposite, who in turn also has to lean forward, not ideal!

I think we will stay on the main deck, at the moment I'm favouring something around 15 to 17 in either a or k.

Any tips on couples travelling together with the new suites would be welcome.
#26012 by Pete
23 Feb 2004, 12:12
On my flight last month, there were a couple of friends on the flight. One of them was in the seat opposite the aisle, which (oddly) seemed to work quite well. She joined me on my ottoman on a couple of occasions, and we also made use of the bar. When you're sitting upright, you can see over the side walls of the seat pretty easily, so the back-to-back option in the centre would also seem like a good option.

Pix
#26014 by lloydfrancis
23 Feb 2004, 12:58
My wife and I flew the week before last to / from SFO with the suites. We had centre seats both ways which worked really well. We sat in the main cabin - 17d and 17g. The divide between the bar and the cabin is very good, so if you want a bit more privacy, the next row back in the centre would be really good as well - the divide between the seats and the bar wraps around the seat, making it almost like your own cabin.
#26016 by Bazz
23 Feb 2004, 13:12
Welcome aboard Lloydfrancis,

Pix suggested that in d & g you can see over the side walls when sitting upright, I am 6ft 4in but Birken is only 5ft 4in, how easy is it to converse/see each other in these seats?

In 18 wouldn't you get a bit of noise disturbance from the bar?

Thanks in advance.
#26018 by lloydfrancis
23 Feb 2004, 13:26
Bazz,

My other half if around 5ft 3in and we could communicate over the centre divide without issue. As I said in my previous post the divide between the bar and the suite's is very big / solid. You get very little, if any, noise from the bar in the centre seats.

I had a good nose around the front cabin as well and would without doubt sit in the main cabin, the front cabin is just not as nice - cannot put my finger on exactly why I feel like this, but I do!

Lloyd
#26019 by Pete
23 Feb 2004, 13:31
A similar opinion was echoed by the SFO Corporate Sales Manager for Virgin - the feedback he had from his customers was that the main cabin was better than the nose (although I don't have specifics, it just *is*).

Pix
#26020 by Bazz
23 Feb 2004, 13:32
Thanks Lloyd,

I narrowing down my choices nicely!

Pix said in another thread that he was told this part of the UC cabin was the best, I think the nose may be a bit tight, particularly right up front. Also in 15 through 20 plenty of people watching if your not sleepy and want a rest from the IFE.
#26022 by BlackCat
23 Feb 2004, 13:58
Thanks all. I think the main question for us seems to be whether to be:

One behind the other (A or K) talking over the divider
Next to each other (D & G) talking over the central divider
Next to each other in the nose

18D/G looks interesting, at least on the way out -- I always like one of the pair in front of the bar if travelling alone. I reckon we might do zone A (6A/K) back overnight so we can play footsie. [:p]

BC
#26023 by lloydfrancis
23 Feb 2004, 14:19
I also gave the divides (the curved ones that is between each seat) a good bash as someone had mentioned on this board that they were fragile. I can honestly say that they are sturdy and I cannot see how someone could bash it enough to disturb your sleep / IFE viewing. The footstools do not move, as they did when I reviewed the seats from the very first prototype stage, but I am told they are being updated so they do moved backwards and forwards a little. The next plane to be converted will, again I am told, have a slightly updated seat installed. Not sure if this includes a new light instead of the little LED thing as this is apparently designed but waiting CAA approval.

Lloyd
#26083 by Tinkerbelle
24 Feb 2004, 20:22
Just to answer one question:

There are no bassinet positions in the UCS layout. It was decided there was not enough demand to justify it
#26092 by BlackCat
25 Feb 2004, 08:56
quote:Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
Just to answer one question:

There are no bassinet positions in the UCS layout. It was decided there was not enough demand to justify it

Excellent.

BC
#26446 by SNAGuy
07 Mar 2004, 18:10
Now that Suites have been out for a bit more time, I need help choosing seats for 2.

Our flights in Aug/Sept LAX/LHR know have the suites seating plans loaded (well at least the Aug out-bound, the Sept in bound has another day or two to go). When orignially called to seating the agent said it was still the non-suite config, but now all online engines are showing suites.

Any new thoughts on what is best for two?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
#26457 by BlackCat
08 Mar 2004, 10:16
We settled on either one behind the other (A or K) or two adjacent (D&G) seats in the main cabin on the way out, and playing footsie in 6A/K in the nose on the way back. I think. We haven't booked the seats yet...

BC
#26458 by Bazz
08 Mar 2004, 10:59
Hi BC,

We've decided to do one behind the other (a or k) on the outbound and will try for 18 or 17 d & g on the inbound.

I've forgotten, which side is best for the view when overflying Vegas on the LHR-LAX route, port or starboard? I want to reserve the seats today.
#26460 by BlackCat
08 Mar 2004, 16:36
Bazz -- sorry, I can't remeber ever looking. I'm always at the bar on this flight, or else slumped senseless in my seat of course! :D

BC
#26461 by Bazz
08 Mar 2004, 17:05
I have gone for 16a and 17a cos I know the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead will be on the left going south, so cloud permitting, even if we don't see Vegas, we should still have a nice view.

When we arrive at LAX I have to drive for about an hour, so can't get to comfortable at the bar, - on the way home, well that's a different story, we are getting collected at LHR so no excuses for not drinking! ;)
#26468 by shazam
08 Mar 2004, 19:30
We have booked 4k/5k LHR-LAX and 4a/5a SFO-LHR in April but now I think I'm going to ring and ask to change the outbound seats to downstairs. I've only ever been upstairs on a eastbound flight before (which is fine for sleeping) We like seats 8 a/c on the 747-400 but I was just so excited when the girl at FC said that we had the UCS on the outbound flight she could have told me I was strapped to the wing and I would have agreed!

Once again I have to say this is a great site. Thanks for your help with this :)

Shaz
#26482 by Tinkerbelle
09 Mar 2004, 00:12
To get the great view of Las Vegas, you need to be sitting on the right hand side of the plane (H,J,K seats)

I got some great pics last time I flew into LAX
#26501 by Bazz
09 Mar 2004, 13:27
Thanks Tinkerbelle, I've moved my seats to 16k and 17k on the starboard side.
#26951 by Elwood
17 Mar 2004, 21:15
Whilst enjoying a UCS upgrade last week a letter was distributed from SRB extolling the virtues of the new cabin and outlining some forthcoming improvements.

In summary he mentions improvements to the cocktail and main tray tables, a totally new reading light - awaiting re-certification - and making the partition between the centre seats removable.

I'm not going to retype all 7 paras. here but if any body who hasn't seen it would like to I would be happy to email to individuals. I can't see how to add a scanned .jpeg or .bmp image to a message here but if somebody cleverer than me can tell me how.......stands back to avoid rush.
#26952 by The_Banking_Scot
17 Mar 2004, 21:25
Hi Elwood,

Could youn email me a copy of the letter please?

Thank you very much.

Regards

TBS
#26968 by TJ
17 Mar 2004, 23:43
Freeway,

Your posting didn't mention anything about the partitions being made removable.

Elwood, I don't suppose the letter gives any sort of timescale for the partition thing?

TJ
Virgin Atlantic