This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963213 by violet37
25 Jan 2024, 23:38
Hello! I am flying Upper Class from BOS-LHR soon and I'm wondering what can be expected from special meal orders. I see the recent reviews about the mediocre food and I'm a little worried :/

I am flying with my spouse, who doesn't eat gluten (due to stomach issues but not a celiac allergy), and my 8 year old, who likes a lot of "grown-up" food.

It sounds like the gluten-free special meals can be a real gamble. My spouse eats everything else - meat, rice, dairy, etc. Is there usually an option on the regular menu that has rice and/or potatoes instead of pasta/bread?

And the kids' menus in UC - are they ever any good, or should my kid just order from the regular menu if she's not picky? The only thing she doesn't like is spicy food.
#963215 by cheesebag
26 Jan 2024, 15:25
My Wife is Gluten and Dairy free, they never get it right on the plane......

BUT! Being UC the clubhouse are a saving grace. fill them up before you board. they are more than helpful.
#963226 by VS075
27 Jan 2024, 17:17
I can’t comment on the latest menu rotation, but if you need a GF meal or anything else to cater for dietary requirements just make sure you order this in advance because they won’t load a supply of special meals just in case, as we found out a couple of years ago when we forgot to pre-order a GF meal for Mrs VS075 when we flew to BGI (they were able to order a GF meal for her for the return leg and it produced).

You can pre-order special meals through the VS app if you have that. Presumably the website will allow you to do this too.
#963229 by chumba
28 Jan 2024, 10:04
Outbound UK we’ve never had a problem with GF meals, but normally make sure by eating in the clubhouse but last year we used the UC meal pre selection feature.

Inbound is usually the opposite, they never get it right., especially from the US.

Last year we were changed to a Delta plane, and the cabin crew got it totally wrong and tried to serve a non gluten free meal, they said they forgot a GF meal was required !
Virgin Atlantic