Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#963248 by Scarebus350
30 Jan 2024, 16:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was the return segment from our Christmas holidays in Canada.

As mentioned on the outbound TR, I'd been unable to check the kids in properly online for that flight due to their passports needing verifying, and it was the same on the inbound.

We turned up at check-in as it opened, having overnighted at the Hampton Inn Tukwila (highly recommended if you need a bed for the night near the airport), to avoid any potential issues with the passports. All was well, and the agents had no idea why the kid's passports were still a problem having been verified on the way out.

Anyway, check in was smooth despite the fact that the area allocated to the VS desks is somewhat cramped. We deposited the skis at the oversized cart to the front of the DL desks next door and made our way to premium security. I have to say that my impression of SEA in general over the Christmas and New Year period is that it's an absolute zoo. The premium security line was empty apart from a couple of passengers in wheelchairs, but the general line was queuing out of the tensabarriers and down the corridor back towards the DL check-in area. Getting into the security area was quick and after sending our 15 trays of stuff through the machines, we were quickly sorted and on our way to the DL Sky Club.

We were admitted by a lovely agent on the desk and we quickly found some seats on the mezzanine and settled in to watch the action on the tarmac. The food selection was decent and plentiful. The clam chowder is nice and for lunch they had some teryaki type chicken and some chicken and veg curry with rice and naan. There was also a selection of salads, cheeses, and being the festive period, apple strudel type things that made the whole area smell like a branch of Cinnabon. Given the lack of choices on the on board menu for the main meal, we had decided eat as much as possible in the lounge just in case the on board fare was as bad as it looked.

The bar was well stocked and we stayed on the complimentary fizz and cocktails which were decent enough. I do find tipping the bar staff a bit of an oxymoron though.

We were called for boarding at about 3.35pm and we made our way to the South Satellite via the train. When we reached the gate, no boarding was taking place, not even pre-boarding. It took a good 10 minutes for the agents to get themselves into gear. We boarded with group 1 and were warmly welcomed on board and settled into our seats. UC was lightly loaded, only 13/31 seats taken for this sector.

Amenity kits were on the seats and PJ's were also handed out. The FA looking after us introduced herself and brought the pre-depature beverages around. The FSM also introduced herself and she quickly engaged with the kids asking them about their interests and hobbies which I thought was brilliant.

The APU was out of service so the cabin was like an oven until pushback. It had been raining non-stop since the day before so darkness quickly fell outside as we pushed back and headed up to the north end of the runway to join the queue for take-off.

Take-off was smooth as we climbed out of SEA. The boingo wifi was much better on this flight and I managed to keep a connection for most of the flight.

The meal service itself was, as expected, quite poor in terms of what was offered. Starter was a choice of hot crab cake and sauce or a caprese salad. The crab cake was nice, so thumbs up there. Sadly the mains were dreadful as expected.

We had chosen the Paella and the kids had the chargrilled chicken. The chicken was dry and the BBQ sauce was terrible. The Paella....well save yourself the trouble and just don't. I sent mine back, it was vile. The chocolate mousse tart was a nice dessert, and the cheese plate wasn't bad. I'm really glad we did have a bigger than normal lunch in the lounge.

There was heavy turbulence over the Rockies but service had pretty much finished by then so the cabin settled down for the night.

I didn't manage much sleep, the seat in the bed position is just too hard. I would have liked to have reclined the seat and slept in an angled position but it's just not possible and that's a real problem.

Breakfast started at about 90 minutes to landing, and I went for the full English. I wasn't feeling massively hungry so picked at it and just ate some yoghurt and fruit. The FSM appeared and announced that to the kids that she'd bagged a visit to the flight deck for them both once we'd parked at the gate. The youngest is in the Air Cadets, so this was better than Christmas for him.

We landed pretty much on time and pulled onto gate 306. As promised, the visit to the flight deck took place and the kids spoke at length to the captain (who was one of the senior training captains), and I had a nice chat to one of the first officers about cadets as he was ex-RAF, and flying in general. We said our goodbyes to the crew after a good 20 minutes and meandered down to passport control, which was empty, and after having no problems at the egates for a change, we went downstairs and the bags were already on the carousel. I don't think that they had been there for long as the oversized was only just appearing as we arrived at the belt.

We made our way up to Revivals for a quick freshen up and a cuppa before walking across to the car park to retrieve the car from meet & greet.

Overall, the crew were fabulous, the 787 experience is just about OK on a day flight but is dreadful for a Redeye and the food and bev offering is mediocre at best. Virgin, please sort out the F&B offerings.
#963263 by Murraymint
01 Feb 2024, 10:46
Thank you for your TR. Unfortunately, yet again, the food is a problem. I think we are all praying for an improvement when the summer offerings are released.
It’s a shame really - when I was last on VS last summer, I preordered the lamb and it was really nice.
#963265 by Scarebus350
01 Feb 2024, 11:53
For the price of the ticket, the F&B offering really needs stepping up. It’s nowhere close to what it should be for the price point. For all their faults, BA have at least got the catering on a better footing.

I'll book KLM next time. Their F&B is miles ahead