This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963370 by CommanderB
18 Feb 2024, 14:22
Happy Sunday V-Flyers!

So it’s been a little while that VS has been part of Sky Team. When they joined, I thought - well, this can only be a good thing. And I wanted to share some of my experiences so far.

The good

Air France/KLM tier points have posted faster than flights on VS metal.

Air France onboard service & food is BRILLIANT

Short haul flights via CDG/AMS in Business earn 40 tier points each. So as long as you don’t mind transferring, you can easily net 160 tier points on a European short haul trip for £500-600. (Ex LON>CDG>XXX).

Was welcomed on all Air France flights as a Sky Team Elite. Nice given some VS FSMs don’t even bother with that!

Obviously the route network options have opened a ton of possibilities we didn’t have before. I have a multi stop trip in the summer with AF that wouldn’t have been possible with VS but will earn 300+ tier points.

The bad

AMS is still in a bit of disarray.
Dealing with the passport control side of things post brexit for a short haul transfer is a bit of a faff.

The ugly

Air France direct phone booking is a nightmare. Sometimes takes like an hour on hold. WhatsApp service is no better. Payment and ticketing systems are still Operating in 1997 it feels like. Makes you really appreciate the VS Gold line.

Interested to hear other people’s experiences too.
#963371 by Kraken
18 Feb 2024, 16:06
Do you have some examples of the good TP earning runs? I just pinged some random routes / dates into the Air France website & was coming up with return fares of close on £1000 each for indirect EU routes via CDG (in Business).
#963372 by VS075
18 Feb 2024, 23:24
To be honest, on the service aspect at least I’m not sure you could justify flying Business Class with any major European airline on a short-haul flight.
#963375 by CommanderB
19 Feb 2024, 19:20
Kraken wrote:Do you have some examples of the good TP earning runs? I just pinged some random routes / dates into the Air France website & was coming up with return fares of close on £1000 each for indirect EU routes via CDG (in Business).

I tried BCN, PRG and LIS in November this year all coming in around £620 or thereabouts. Not cheap for sure, but find me a VS route where you can get 160 tier points for that price. You do have to do a 2 night stay otherwise AF only offers the Business Flex option which is more expensive.

VS075 wrote:To be honest, on the service aspect at least I’m not sure you could justify flying Business Class with any major European airline on a short-haul flight.

100% agree VS075. I think European short haul needs some serious innovation. Heck, the US carriers do this product much better. But alas, getting 160 tier points for a reasonable price can make it interesting for anyone needing to juice up their VS tier point balance IMO.
#963384 by spacedog
21 Feb 2024, 11:59
Kraken wrote:Do you have some examples of the good TP earning runs? I just pinged some random routes / dates into the Air France website & was coming up with return fares of close on £1000 each for indirect EU routes via CDG (in Business).

I just had to go to Nantes for work. There were no direct flights from LBA, so I did LBA-AMS-NTE in business for about £565. I carry a portfolio with art in it, so business is a must as they never try to take it away from me (it's an unusual shape compared to most carry ones!)
#963386 by spacedog
21 Feb 2024, 12:09
My Sky Team experience thus far has been largely positive.

Things I like:
• our closest local airport is LBA; now with KLM we have so many options as long as we don't mind a layover in AMS. For US flights we still always use VS as we're not too far from MAN, and we don't mind occasionally departing from LHR, either.
• TP earning has become much easier for us. We are flying to Mexico and Japan this year and will earn TP.
• Food on KLM flights is really good!

Things I don't like:
• no matter what I do, we have to chase TP from KLM after 90% of flights. Only once did they post, after a trip to Tokyo, but ONLY the LBA-AMS legs. I had to claim for the AMS-NRT sections.
Virgin Atlantic