This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963460 by Lindsk
01 Mar 2024, 21:00
Thanks for the update. Our June LHR-LAX has changed slightly time wise, but most disappointing is we are now on the 789 rather than 350.

I know aircraft changes happen but I’m disappointed . A long flight, and ok it’s UC, first world problems, but once again stuck in the coffin seats.
#963462 by Hev60
01 Mar 2024, 23:00
Lindsk wrote:Thanks for the update. Our June LHR-LAX has changed slightly time wise, but most disappointing is we are now on the 789 rather than 350.

I know aircraft changes happen but I’m disappointed . A long flight, and ok it’s UC, first world problems, but once again stuck in the coffin seats.

Just my person opinion Lindsk but having flown UC on both the 350 & Neo, I was quite happy when they changed our plane to SFO in a few days time from a 350 over to the old fashioned 789.
In bed mode, both the newer aircraft are tight for space, uncomfortable and extremely claustrophobic.
The only advantage could be a little more privacy ie facing forwards rather than looking out onto the isle. .

From many recent trips reports these new planes are already showing signs of wear :-O

If you had selected your seats, check the current seat map because we originally had seats 5 & 6 on the A side of the 350, then found we’d been dumped into A10 & K 10 which have to be the worst seats in UC. Fortunately we managed to move both seats onto K side, not great though in 8 &9 outbound. :-(
#963463 by Lindsk
02 Mar 2024, 09:47
Hev60 wrote:
Lindsk wrote:Thanks for the update. Our June LHR-LAX has changed slightly time wise, but most disappointing is we are now on the 789 rather than 350.

Just my person opinion Lindsk but having flown UC on both the 350 & Neo, I was quite happy when they changed our plane to SFO in a few days time from a 350 over to the old fashioned 789.
In bed mode, both the newer aircraft are tight for space, uncomfortable and extremely claustrophobic.
The only advantage could be a little more privacy ie facing forwards rather than looking out onto the isle. .

From many recent trips reports these new planes are already showing signs of wear :-O

If you had selected your seats, check the current seat map because we originally had seats 5 & 6 on the A side of the 350, then found we’d been dumped into A10 & K 10 which have to be the worst seats in UC. Fortunately we managed to move both seats onto K side, not great though in 8 &9 outbound. :-(

Thanks Hev60. I have read that the suites have not fared very well, not great to hear. We’ve flown on both business and leisure a350s a few times and did like the privacy, screens etc. we’ve also flown the a330s, too many times, (not the 789 admittedly,) and I just don’t like the seats or IFS. The bar was a plus, not sure that’s on the 789. as is companion dining, so a silver lining I suppose there ;-)

Thanks for reminding me to check our seats. Thankfully Virgin put us in 4&5A both legs, so that’s something.

Now I’m just hoping the UC Wing is open early June and maybe we can even take liquids through
#963535 by uktigger
11 Mar 2024, 12:33
Is there any standard pattern to which arrival becomes which departure?

eg - at Manchester, does vs74 become vs73 etc

or is it just pot luck?

Steve
#963536 by mitchja
11 Mar 2024, 12:55
It depends on the A/C type being used, though often if it's an A333, the A/C get swapped at the MCO end so a arriving MAN A/C flies back to LHR and an arriving LHR flight flies back to MAN.

It's so each aircraft has minimal 'sat on the ground doing nothing' time at out-stations such as MCO. Also VS's A/C maintenance is carried out at LHR and not MAN.

It sometimes works like this at ATL as well, though only when the inbound LHR flight is op'ed using an A333 and not an A351.

MAN generally only op's A333 A/C though x1 of the MCO flights op's using a leisure config A351.

There's also another leisure config A351 due for delivery very soon as well.
#963537 by uktigger
11 Mar 2024, 13:08
Didn't think of checking the plane type :-)

I'm on VS73 next month which an A351, so it should be easy to work out from the arrival, which gate is being used :-)

and looking at the ITA flight matrix, it is indeed VS74 arriving which goes out as VS73.
Virgin Atlantic