This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#482 by bluefish
18 Mar 2004, 03:05
Hi Guys

I am a little confused, I flew VS20 in Upper in Monday, in the new suites, but the IFE was not VPort - for some reason I thought when the planes were converted they we upgraded?

Interestingly (well for someone as sad as me,) came back on VS4 last Monday in the suites, with VPort but it worked only like oddesey i.e. you just scrolled the channels - problems and changes?

Anyone shed any light, would be a shame to miss vport, back out on 19 tommorrow so hope the VPort is working

Cheers
#27000 by Pete
18 Mar 2004, 03:39
You were probably on G-VTOP, it's got the Suites but it has Odessy. The Suites can accommodate either, apparently. When they refit an aircraft that has Arcadia or Nova, it'll get V:Port installed, but if it has Odessy it appears to be keeping it.

Pix
#27011 by Bazz
18 Mar 2004, 10:32
Hi Bluefish,

Pix is right, from info gleened from VS it appears that they feel Odessey has some mileage in it yet (after all it is a good IFE system) and the cost of installing v.port is so high where the suites are fitted to an aircraft with Odessey IFE, it will stay.

Can't shed any light on your comments about v.port behaving like Odessey on VS004, you mean you couldn't pause, rewind, fast-forward etc., and did you have the fifty odd film titles to choose from?
#27036 by bluefish
18 Mar 2004, 13:50
Hi Bazz

Exactly that, it was the just the "normal" 12 odessey channels but through the V port hand set, no functionality really strange.

Cheers
#27040 by Bazz
18 Mar 2004, 13:57
Bluefish, I think we need the help of a VS Staffer to solve this one.[?]
#27041 by declansmith
18 Mar 2004, 14:14
SUite aircraft WILL have EITHER Oydessy or V-Port.

G-VAST/ G-VTOP has Oydessy and Suites

G-VBIG/ G-VROC has V-port and suites.

when G-VHOT comes back in a few weeks it will have suites and V-PORT and new seating in all cabins.

IF AVOD is not functioning on V-Port the system goes into a fallback mode where it will just offer you a choice of movies.

The same if your seat does not work and the crew reset it more than three times the system will also go into a fallback mode to offer the customer a limited choice of movies.

The systme will then be toatlly rebooted on arrival back into london by engineers.

Hope this helps
#27046 by Bazz
18 Mar 2004, 14:32
quote:Originally posted by declansmith
IF AVOD is not functioning on V-Port the system goes into a fallback mode where it will just offer you a choice of movies.

The same if your seat does not work and the crew reset it more than three times the system will also go into a fallback mode to offer the customer a limited choice of movies.

The systme will then be toatlly rebooted on arrival back into london by engineers.

Hope this helps

Bluefish, I guess there's your answer, it wasn't Odessey but v.port in fallback mode. [:(]
#27068 by bluefish
18 Mar 2004, 20:32
Actually very clever system then - at least you get something

I know I was not going mad, thanks all
#27217 by JonBuck
21 Mar 2004, 13:02
Very clever system because it uses Linux instead of Windows!
#27222 by Decker
21 Mar 2004, 13:23
Can we add AVOD to the glossary? ;)
#27225 by vsdan
21 Mar 2004, 13:36
bluefish,
From what I think is going on, Odyssey and V:Port equiped aircraft will keep the entertainment systems with the UCS, but Arcadia and Nova aircraft will get V:Port when upgraded with the Suites. There are 2 744s with Arcadia which will be updraded, whilst the A340-300s with Arcadia will not be upgraded as they are planned to be sold/retired - I'm not sure. I think, when all the A340-600s and 747-400s are upgraded with the UCS, there should be only G-VXLG, G-VTOP and G-VAST left with Odyssey, unless the A340-300s are still in the fleet.

Regards
#27244 by Pete
21 Mar 2004, 15:24
AVOD is now in the glossary.

Pix
#27246 by Decker
21 Mar 2004, 15:29
Wow - personalised service - thank you :D
Virgin Atlantic