This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#28402 by ghagger
04 Apr 2004, 02:10
Nice to see :) China Girl was my first ever VS flight back in june last year. I'll post the pic I've got of her waiting at the gate a little later.

I'm not gonna be sad to see the back of the A340's though. For some reason I just don't like them. They just feel cramped somehow :S

graham
#28408 by jonathan020
04 Apr 2004, 10:48
I agree, I felt cramped when I flew in a VS A343 last year. I remember though going to LA in a brand new VS A343 a number of years ago and thinking how spatious it was. How things change!
#28409 by RichardMannion
04 Apr 2004, 11:07
Interesting that they have changed very little on-board, especially in regards to J2000.

I flew on China Girl a couple of times, only afterwards did I discover that it was that plane that was involved in VS's only ever serious aviation issue on the way back from LAX.

The 300's were good for their time, but PE onboard does no favours to the offerring, time to move on and get to the new standard.

Thanks,
Richard
#28443 by HighFlyer
05 Apr 2004, 13:27
I am dreading a flight in PE in the A340 personally.

I have so far avoided it and been lucky with the 747's I would almost rather be in Coach than PE on the A340, just doesnt seem worth the extra.

I hope that Virgin sort this out with the new 'double decker' airbusses, they just plain ruined their PE class on the airbus.
#28458 by Vslf
05 Apr 2004, 17:58
OK, it's not great on the A343, and if you had paid full price for it I'd be grumpy. But you get the extra room, and that's what I pay for when I go PE, the extras (a glass of champagen whilst boarding) are just that, extras. It's a bit tatty, yup, but it's the same in all classes. But you get a wider seat, with lots more legroom than in economy.

If the choice is PE with Virgin on a 343 or economy with any other airline, I'd pick VS. Now a choice between PE in a 343 and BA WTP, that would be trickier, but I think I'd still choose VS. And if you go for the flight feeling you're going to be let down, then I guarantee you will be let down. Give it a chance, it's not great...but it's still pretty good.

VSlf

VSlf
#28486 by randalf
05 Apr 2004, 21:40
What do people think of the amount of recline you get in PE on an A340-300? Is it enough to make a difference compared to the back of the plane, especially with no legrests?
#28528 by Pete
06 Apr 2004, 14:30
Not so much 'wrong' as 'not as good'

PE on a 343 doesn't have its own loo or cabin service, so you don't get the advantages offered by a 747 in the bubble. On some of the 343s, there's also no legrest, and if you get stuck in the middle seat (F) on a full flight, it really isn't as much fun as the 2-2 config on the Boeings.

Pix
#28587 by Bazz
07 Apr 2004, 10:21
Never flown PE on a 343, sounds like it can be pretty grim. If possible I try to keep off them altogether!
#28589 by candyman
07 Apr 2004, 11:29
on a similar vein to this topic
my first ever vs flight was on Maiden Voyager and that was really grim i assumethat she is no longer flying am i correct
:)
#28627 by Matt
07 Apr 2004, 21:48
Steve, I don't think Virgin have any of the old 747-200's left in the fleet.

The only ones you ever see now are out of MAN on the MCO routes and they are the planes that were sold to Air Atlanta and then leased back so still in all their Virgin Livery.

I know they are flying Honey Pie, and I think the other one still on the go is Island Lady, but not too sure on that one.

The following web link will take you to where the remaining 200's are:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search

Soaking up the sun in the Mojave Desert[V][V]

Matt
#28714 by PaulS
08 Apr 2004, 20:59
Yes your right

The two at MAN are Honeypie and Island Lady

Paul
Virgin Atlantic