This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#674 by RichD
04 Apr 2004, 13:40
Dear All

Just wondered if anyone could point me towards any articles or give me any tips for getting a cheap Virgin flight from London to Tokyo? I've racked up quite a few miles now (30,000) on business trips and want to fly to Tokyo in October for a holiday.

I often hear at work that having a Saturday stay in your flight will save you money, but I can't seem to find any flights for less that £750 or so, which seems "interesting" seeing as I can often get a flight to SFO from London (slightly shorter flight) for £300 or so. Is the Tokyo route just a less-used one presumably, hence the higher costs.

Couldn't seem to find any flights to Tokyo by using up some of my miles and reducing the cost as well.

Any help appreciated!
Best regards
Richard
#28427 by Nick
05 Apr 2004, 04:48
Hi there,

Having travelled this route quite a few times, I can tell you that first of all that in my experience planes on this route are usually pretty full. The higher costs seem to be because most passengers are either Japanese tourists, or on business, both of which being groups that accept the higher costs.

There are occasional sales on the Tokyo route but they are typically at short notice (tickets for travel approx 1 month later) and unfortunately I haven't yet identified any pattern. In particular there are occasionally very good value Miles+Money fares (I seem to remember seeing an under 300GBP economy fare last year for instance).

I recommend Tokyo as a holiday destination, however it is well worth getting a Japanese phrase book if you don't know the language. Other tip is to get a seat as close to the door as possible and hurry to immigration, queues can get to absurd lengths!

Hope you find a good fare!

Nick
#28442 by HighFlyer
05 Apr 2004, 13:24
Tokyo is really one of Virgin's top money making routes, hence why the flights are so expensive - check out the extra to upgrade to PE!

The best way i think would be to use your miles, although it will still cost you a fair bit more depending on the class you want to travel in - but hey, think of your air miles! Try contacting Virgin, they will probably advise you when the cheapest time of year is, they did that for me once, telling me the week to book a flight to BOS in UC as it was the cheapest they offer.

Have a great time! Tokyo is one truly amazing city!!
#28452 by RichD
05 Apr 2004, 15:18
Thanks everyone.

I notice that in October their miles+money offer for October is around £500 which isn't so bad. And I'll be a Silver Card holder by then so I can flutter my eyelashes and hope vaguely that I'll get an upgrade. Some chance! :)

Cheers
Richard
#28476 by RichardMannion
05 Apr 2004, 20:15
quote:Originally posted by RichD
Thanks everyone.

I notice that in October their miles+money offer for October is around £500 which isn't so bad. And I'll be a Silver Card holder by then so I can flutter my eyelashes and hope vaguely that I'll get an upgrade. Some chance! :)

Cheers
Richard

Err maybe, a while ago whilst havig my usual chat to a known IFS, they told me they had done a NRT the previous week and there were 130 FC Silver and Golds on the flight......

I'm looking at going to NRT, but will do it as part of the Escapade fare as it will work out much more effective financially.
http://www.thegreatescapade.com

Thanks,
Richard
Virgin Atlantic