For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#1273 by arfortune
19 May 2004, 18:25
I've just come across this on the First Choice website
http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/promotions/promo34/

Standard

Fantastic 33" seat pitch giving more legroom
Extra wide seats
Complimentary four course meal and pre-landing snack
Personal state of the art seat back 7" widescreen TV
Choice of movies, music, documentaries and games
Funky Amenity Pack
Laptop connection

Premium seems even better:

Amazing 36" seat pitch giving more legroom
Personal seatback 9" personal widescreen TV screen
Choice of 30 channels with video on demand
Four course meal with a choice of three entrées
Complimentary drinks during your flight
Dedicated Star Class crew
Laptop connection
Pampering Kit

They're also offering an 'ice cream parlour' and cappucinos!

I know it's full of marketing bull, but this seems very good - I flew with them to Florida a couple of years ago and was impressed then! Interesting to see if this will have any knock on effects to the other airlines and VS.
#31961 by Nottingham Nick
19 May 2004, 18:51
Very interesting indeed[}:)]

A mate of mine has just come back from Fla. He flew Britannia / Thompson Air - whatever they are called at the moment.

He was reasonably impressed - the plane was less than half full so they could stretch out - they hadn't ordered meals ( there was a surcharge - which I think he said was £10) but they were all given one anyway as they had brought too many on board - in both directions:)

The seat pitch debate is one that will rumble on, and VS seems to be speaking from a position that is getting weaker with each passing month.

Nick
#31964 by mcuth
19 May 2004, 19:13
Nick
quote:they hadn't ordered meals ( there was a surcharge - which I think he said was £10)

Que? No meals included? On that length of flight? OMG.......[THUD] [V]

Cheers

Michael
#31965 by Nottingham Nick
19 May 2004, 19:15
That's what he said, I think it is like the old Laker ideal - if you want to eat you take sandwiches - even the tea and coffee wasn't comp[:I]

Nick
#31967 by mcuth
19 May 2004, 19:43
Nick

Sheesh, I'd rather pay the extras and not have to worry about 12hr old egg sandwiches going through customs :D

Cheers

Michael
#32014 by Bazz
20 May 2004, 13:57
quote:Originally posted by mcuth
Nick

Sheesh, I'd rather pay the extras and not have to worry about 12hr old egg sandwiches going through customs :D

Cheers

Michael

Michael, don't worry about the 12 hour old egg sarnies going through customs, worry about them going through you! :D:D:D At least for the other passengers sake ;)
#32015 by Decker
20 May 2004, 14:00
To quote Half Man Half Biscuit from "Them's the vagaries" - "Egg sandwiches on a coach trip in June? I simply won't be there...":)
#32023 by arfortune
20 May 2004, 14:21
Totally agree with TBS about seat pitch. They have to do something sooner rather than later!
#32050 by mcuth
20 May 2004, 21:16
Bazz
quote:Michael, don't worry about the 12 hour old egg sarnies going through customs, worry about them going through you! :D:D:D At least for the other passengers sake ;)

I have a cast-iron constitution Mr B, no problem there :D;)

Cheers

Michael
#32053 by vsdan
20 May 2004, 22:53
I think on a flight to the Med. is OK for having to pay for meals on a CHARTER airline, as most seem to be doing it now, but to Florida I think Thomson, (operated by Britannia) and other airlines do have one out of two meals included but I'm not too sure!

VS has strong compition coming it's way with legroom, and this time it's just a charter airline! I think VS and BA will rethink their Economy/World Traveller cabins out for long-haul, but what about the aircraft refits with VS? Many aircraft have been refurbed recently, and they are spending alot of money on the current new 'Kash' seats, so ripping them out could be quite bad, UNLESS they retained the seats, but just moved a small number of seats in each Economy section to provide room, without wasting all that money.

This should be interesting to watch....
#32069 by Bazz
21 May 2004, 12:07
quote:Originally posted by mcuth
Bazz
quote:Michael, don't worry about the 12 hour old egg sarnies going through customs, worry about them going through you! :D:D:D At least for the other passengers sake ;)

I have a cast-iron constitution Mr B, no problem there :D;)

Cheers

Michael

I suppose the alcohol would pickle the eggs anyway :D:D:D
#32076 by mcuth
21 May 2004, 12:58
Bazz

Mmmmmm, pickled eggs

;)

Cheers

Michael
Virgin Atlantic