For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#1305 by mcuth
23 May 2004, 10:10
According to news reports this morning, the roof at Terminal 2E of CDG has collapsed killing 5 people (note, linked BBC report says 4, but this has been revised upwards since):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3739715.stm

[:(]

Cheers

Michael
#32174 by AlanA
23 May 2004, 11:15
I was going through there a couple of weeks ago on one of my regular trips from BHX to CDG.

It is an old terminal, has that rounded white "Artex" style finish to it. Goes throughout the whole of terminal 2, both airside and pre security.
They were carrying out some changes to the lower level, but I cannot see that effecting the ceiling.
#32175 by AlanA
23 May 2004, 11:31
Ok, I am trying to work out where 2E is. The older terminal is split into 2 A & B (British Airways) C & D, with a food court between A/B & C/D 2F is where the TGV and rail links are.
I do not think I have seen a 2E, could it be some new construction?
#32176 by mcuth
23 May 2004, 12:18
Apparently 2E is relatively new - from the BBC report:

quote:The reason for the collapse in terminal 2E, a newly-constructed part of France's biggest international airport, was not immediately clear

quote:Terminal 2E cost 750m euros to build and was opened in 2003. It is used by Air France and the Sky Team alliance.

Now up to 6 deaths [:(]

Cheers

Michael
#32177 by AlanA
23 May 2004, 12:31
The pictures on ITV news channel, it looks like the construction is the same as the rest of the terminal, its an airside departure lounge.
The ceiling is in the middle, with a large expanse of glass from the ceiling to the floor, it has seats along the glass wall and seats under the ceiling.
Next to it is the airbridge to the aircraft, or to the steps to the bus for the smaller aircraft (a service road runs below.
It looks the same as the original departure gates at 2B
Happened at 5am it seems.
terrible
#32214 by Bazz
24 May 2004, 09:58
I would think they would close the rest of 2E or certainly the parts of similar construction/age whilst carrying our extensive structural test, could reek havoc with Air France and associated flights as this is their hub.

Sympathies to the families of the deceased.
Virgin Atlantic