For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#941986 by SlimpyJones
07 Mar 2018, 19:20
MAG released this little timelapse video of progress of the redevelopment at MAN. From July '17 through to Feb '18. It mostly shows the laying of groundwork for the future T2 building and removal of the existing facility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaJRg3yP5jo
#942016 by Treelo
08 Mar 2018, 11:58
Came through MAN on Sunday evening (just gone) and the place is really reminiscent of a building site, which is only to be expected I suppose. There was no problem traffic wise (well it was a Sunday evening) but what was a real PITA was waiting 55 mins for our bags to come off the EZY Cyprus flight. Even the SAS bags which landed 20 minutes after ours came out first!! Grrrrrr.
#942059 by hazban
09 Mar 2018, 16:49
Thank you for the post. I have been at, in and through Manchester several times already this year (on EK and BA, sorry!) and never realised so much has been done already.
Even stayed at the Radisson and never noticed :-O
Please keep us updated.
#942064 by mitchja
09 Mar 2018, 18:50
Unless you go through T2 at MAN, you won’t really notice much other than a couple of airlines starting the long term process of moving terminals.

For example, Jet2 are currently in both T1 & T2 depending on the destination.
#942137 by VS075
14 Mar 2018, 13:32
mitchja wrote:Unless you go through T2 at MAN, you won’t really notice much other than a couple of airlines starting the long term process of moving terminals.

For example, Jet2 are currently in both T1 & T2 depending on the destination.

Jet2 operating a few flights out of T2 is more to do with them running more flights in the wake of the Monarch collapse and T1 being practically full. They've kept it clean by stating that all flights bound for Lanzarote, Malaga, Tenerife South and Palma will operate out of T2, the rest from T1.

It's good to see real progress being made on the expansion/transformation of MAN.
#946987 by ColOrd
13 Nov 2018, 21:49
I hope the connector with the long thin windows has travelators or that’s gonna be a long walk!

On the topic there does seem to have been space for a gate or two to have gone in there rather than just a connection building?
#946990 by mitchja
13 Nov 2018, 22:36
ColOrd wrote:
On the topic there does seem to have been space for a gate or two to have gone in there rather than just a connection building?

Perhaps that area will be used for remote stands possibly? We all know how MAN love those :-P
#949605 by mitchja
31 Mar 2019, 09:49
SlimpyJones wrote:The first of the three new piers seems set to open tomorrow, as well as the new car park, according to the MEN:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 047021.amp

Anyone flying out of Manchester in the coming weeks? :D

Hopefully this finally means the end of remote stands at MAN :cool:

Don't get too excited though as already mentioned tomorrow only sees the opening of pier 1 with its new stands and the new multi-storey carpark.

T2 check-in / security / main departures / lounges / arrival immigration will all the same for the time being plus we still have the utterly chaotic and ridiculous pay to drop-off / pick up system too along with the no drop offs on the departure level and everyone has to be dropped off at arrivals system for T2 though >-(

I wonder what's happening with the existing multi-story car park that's next to T2 as that's by far the least chaotic way to get to/from T2 these days?
#949606 by Treelo
31 Mar 2019, 10:21
Looking forward to the experience when we fly out of T2 at the end of Apr, by which time any gremlins in the system should have been ironed out!
#951968 by mitchja
26 Aug 2019, 19:58
I presume it's still on track to open in April 2020? Once that opens, the existing section of what is currently T2 closes for renovation I believe.
#952246 by VS075
18 Sep 2019, 12:45
mitchja wrote:I presume it's still on track to open in April 2020? Once that opens, the existing section of what is currently T2 closes for renovation I believe.

"April 2020" is still being quoted for the completion of the current extension works which, as you say, will then result in the rest of the existing terminal closing for refurbishment for 2 years.

I spent a bit of time in T1 arrivals yesterday on a pick-up run. It's not a terminal VS use, but I have to say the arrivals hall in T1 is cramped, dinghy and unfit for purpose. I can't decide whether it's worse than T3 departure's illogical layout. Considering it's the terminal Etihad and Emirates use, it doesn't provide good first impressions. Either way, I look forward to the completion of the TP works which will see T1 close and hopefully something done to the layout of T3.

At the moment, T2 is by far my favourite terminal at MAN even if it currently resembles a building site. It's a shame there were a few design flaws as far as gate spacing is concerned from the offset and this is despite me not liking how they moved the security area upstairs above the check-in desks when they reconfigured it to make airside the retail outlets that used to be landside and turn the old security area into the duty free shop which, like a lot of places nowadays, you have no choice but to walk through. >-(
#952247 by mitchja
18 Sep 2019, 12:52
That 'walk-though' duty free store in T2 at MAN does my head in. Unless you know, it's not even easy to work out how to get to the actual departure gates once you go down from security as the gate area is not very well sign-posted.

I even saw passengers asking the staff in duty-free for directions to the departure gates when I used T2 the other week >-(
Virgin Atlantic