For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#944186 by catsilversword
06 Jun 2018, 18:00
Hi,

Flight prices are leaning us towards Houston - but we know little to nothing about areas to choose or avoid staying in (we tend to rent a house where possible. Can anyone help with some pointers please? Looking for somewhere not on top of clubs and stuff, and we'll have a car....
#944189 by joeyc
06 Jun 2018, 19:57
I am flying out there next week :cool:

We are staying in the suburb town of Katy which looks like a nice area. I'll happily report back after I have had a little explore around the place.
#944662 by joeyc
22 Jun 2018, 16:29
In a nutshell; You'll definitely need a car to get around. I always forget how spread out everything is in Texas with very few public transport options.

Staying out in Katy is quite nice and peaceful compared to the city and you have to drive to everything anyway. It is advisable not being near central Houston at the moment as there are a lot of roadworks and new overpass construction that makes traffic a bit of a nightmare to navigate.

There are plenty of shopping malls and the grocery stores put anything you find in the UK to shame. If you don't want to cook there are also plenty of restaurant options and the prices are very reasonable for good quality food - we had an all you can eat Chinese buffet the other evening for $12.95... the selection was incredible and food tasted great.

Any other tips needed cat just give me a shout, I am here for another 11 days :cool:
#944666 by catsilversword
22 Jun 2018, 18:21
Thanks Joey. We do always rent a car - I don’t think anywhere other than NYC or Boston can be done without one! We’ve also been to Texasbefore though, so know how vast a state it is - but it’s interesting to get your take on Katy, as I hadn’t heard of it before. It sounds lovely!

Have you rented s house for your stay?
#944668 by joeyc
22 Jun 2018, 19:05
We are staying at my uncle's house. They moved out here a year or so ago, finally thought it time for a visit to drink all of their wine :-P
#944670 by catsilversword
22 Jun 2018, 21:06
joeyc wrote:We are staying at my uncle's house. They moved out here a year or so ago, finally thought it time for a visit to drink all of their wine :-P

How considerate ;-)
Virgin Atlantic