For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#944576 by mallin
20 Jun 2018, 10:45
For those BA experts,
Just checked in for our flight to Seattle tomorrow, says we are checked in but must goto a check in desk for document verification. Have never had this before have double checked all our documents, passport, ESTA and they seem ok used them all in April no problem.

Can you shed any info on this?
#944580 by gumshoe
20 Jun 2018, 12:13
Will it let you generate your boarding pass? If not it sounds like the dreaded SSSS. Nothing to worry about, just annoying.
#944615 by catsilversword
21 Jun 2018, 09:48
Hi Linda,

Perhaps a little late to reply, as you’re no doubt at the airport or on the way now....

We had the same message, last time we travelled to the US (March this year). We were alss travelling, as you are, with a couple of cases. Can’t say anything different happened - everyone was directed to automated check-in kiosks, but we weren’t asked to have any additional checks.

Hope you have a lovely trip!
#944658 by mallin
22 Jun 2018, 15:48
Just an update, no,problems, no extra checks, one stupid agent at the gate said have you got an Esta. Would not have got that far if I hadn't.

Had a superb flight, as it was my birthday , got a card signed by all the crew and a very nice bottle of champagne.

One note the queue at the Avis check in at the airport was out of the building and took us over two hours to reach a very unhelpful agent. Linda
#944660 by catsilversword
22 Jun 2018, 16:18
mallin wrote:Just an update, no,problems, no extra checks, one stupid agent at the gate said have you got an Esta. Would not have got that far if I hadn't.

Had a superb flight, as it was my birthday , got a card signed by all the crew and a very nice bottle of champagne.

One note the queue at the Avis check in at the airport was out of the building and took us over two hours to reach a very unhelpful agent. Linda

I love it when they ask if you have an ESTA - does anyone ever, anywhere actually check someone has one and that it's valid????

Sorry you had such a nightmare wait to get your car - but very glad you had such a good flight. And belated happy birthday wishes to you!

Have a lovely trip...
#944664 by tontybear
22 Jun 2018, 16:54
catsilversword wrote:I love it when they ask if you have an ESTA - does anyone ever, anywhere actually check someone has one and that it's valid????

It's done automatically when you submit your APIS data to the airline - it's sent to the US CBP who match it against your name and passport number. They then send a marker that is put in your PNR and it generally prints out as 'DOCS OK' on your boarding pass

I still get asked every now and then if I have one and just answer a cheery yes. I don't think think the agent is 'stupid' for just doing what they are asked to do.

People still do arrive at airports having no clue - despite various reminders - that they need an ESTA to fly to the US (or the Canadian or Australian equivalent) and a resulting panic to try and apply and get approval.
#944674 by PeterStansfield
23 Jun 2018, 08:44
'Have you got an ESTA' ISN'T a stupid question

I DON'T have an ESTA, I have a VISA
I'd always assumed the question was valid, and they were sensibly enquiring about which supporting documentation I was using

Peter
#944689 by catsilversword
23 Jun 2018, 13:01
tontybear wrote:
catsilversword wrote:I love it when they ask if you have an ESTA - does anyone ever, anywhere actually check someone has one and that it's valid????

It's done automatically when you submit your APIS data to the airline - it's sent to the US CBP who match it against your name and passport number. They then send a marker that is put in your PNR and it generally prints out as 'DOCS OK' on your boarding pass

Yes, I assumed that automated process happened, but whenever I’ve been asked by a actual person, it’s in a bored and disinterested way - and they don’t seem to even listen to my reply!
#944781 by mallin
27 Jun 2018, 01:16
I should have said a silly question, as it was not asked by the checking in agent, which I would have appreciated. It was on the bridge as I was just about to get on the plane.
Virgin Atlantic