For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#944706 by Pianofunk
24 Jun 2018, 10:12
Our second West Coast trip this year is coming up in October and, as much as I love the Sofitel Heathrow, which is our usual overnight stay, I'm finding it hard to justify spending £250 on a room for, what is supposed to be a more budget-friendly trip

Is there anything that comes remotely close in quality for an overnight stay? The parking is already sorted and we'll be flying from T3

TIA
#944707 by JamesH
24 Jun 2018, 10:37
Agree, love the Sofitel, its hard to beat but £250 could get you a great night somewhere on the west coast!

Last time I flew from T3 I stayed in the HILTON T5. You can often get rooms below £100 ( I think I paid £85). Good quality rooms, modern, free pool and spa area and around £10 taxi to T3.

I'm a bit of a hotel snob so generally do a lot of research before booking a stay.
#944709 by mitchja
24 Jun 2018, 11:58
No idea what it’s going to be like, but the new T4 Crowne Plaza should be open by then as well, though getting from T4>T3 can be a faff.

Just trying to weigh up if it’s worth me switching from the other Crowne Plaza to this one from October?
#944711 by mallin
24 Jun 2018, 13:01
We have been to the Renaissance the last two times. It was very good have been upgraded Both times, I book through Holiday Extras via Topcashback and you can add on meals and Hoppa for a very reasonable price.

The beds are really comfy, superb towels and large bathrooms. Seems to have been re furbished recently. The service there was excellent to, only a little more expensive than the Park Inn which was dreadful in our opinion. Breakfast was very good as well if you have time. Linda
#944712 by tontybear
24 Jun 2018, 13:20
I know people who recommend the Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross so just a quick tube or bus trip back to LHR for your flight.

I think a new Novotel (possibly Mercure anyway one of the Accor suite of hotels) has also opened on Bath road. Again that has had some opening offers

There is a Premier Inn near T5 accessed via the pods so again easyish connection back to T3 via T5.

I don't think you need to restrict yourselves to an onsite hotel when there are literally dozens of hotels within a short radius of LHR.
#944714 by dickydotcom
24 Jun 2018, 13:44
Next Feb we were off to Atlanta.
This year we stayed at the Premier Inn at Gatwick and it was very good. We found the restaurant better than the Hilton.
So next year we are doing the Premier again. This time at Heathrow T4
I have payed £30 for the room. Yes that is thirty pounds.
A car to the T3 DTCI is £24

Dick D
#944715 by gumshoe
24 Jun 2018, 13:54
And the T4 Hilton is, IMHO, better than the T5 one - you can get to it by public transport too.

Failing that the Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross is decent enough, and the Renaissance on the Bath Road gets good reviews on here (ask for an airport view!)
#944719 by moodyblue
24 Jun 2018, 17:28
We usually stay at the Heathrow Marriott. If you have access to the exec. rooms the lounge is quite nice with a reasonable supply of eats.
Rooms are comfortable and it's close to LHR.
The good thing is that you have a great deal of choice in the area.
#944721 by miopyk
24 Jun 2018, 20:55
Another regular Renaissance user here. You can usually get rooms under £100 a night and the bar serves some pretty good food. As I've been using IHG a fair bit over the last year for work we're staying at the Crown Plaza on Thursday before our trip to SFO on Friday. Although its a bit further away we're intending getting there early to use the pool so hopefully it'll be ok.
#944724 by Hamster
25 Jun 2018, 02:34
The Premier Inn connected to T4 is popular.

The new Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Express (both connected to T4) will be open by then too.
Free transfer to T2&3 via TfL Rail or Tube (Tube requires oyster/contactless unless TfL Rail is having issues) or by bus to T5

All the hotels on the Bath Rd are a short walk away from a free bus ride to the terminals too.

Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross popular too, free bus to terminals or a small fee on Tube.
#944725 by Hamster
25 Jun 2018, 02:42
tontybear wrote:There is a Premier Inn near T5 accessed via the pods so again easyish connection back to T3 via T5

I thought only the Thistle allowed the use of the PODs? It's a £5 fee per person anyway!
#944727 by NV43
25 Jun 2018, 11:01
We're heading off to the West coast on Saturday (2 Clubhouse invitations available if you are on VS41 at 1310, housetrained, decently dressed and can hold a conversation) and we have booked a pre-flight night at Ostrich Inn, High Street, Slough SL3 OJZ.

It's the fourth oldest Inn in England, dating from 1106.

15 minutes / 4.5 miles from T3, very good food, decent ales, spacious and immaculately clean rooms, with a lot of character.

60 murders over the years.

Strange noises.

Apparitions.

It's an absolute bargain at (~ £60 - ) £85, which I think includes our breakfast.
#944730 by tontybear
25 Jun 2018, 13:14
Hamster wrote:
tontybear wrote:There is a Premier Inn near T5 accessed via the pods so again easyish connection back to T3 via T5

I thought only the Thistle allowed the use of the PODs? It's a £5 fee per person anyway!

Sorry getting my hotel chains mixed up.
#944733 by oldboy
25 Jun 2018, 13:54
We stayed at the Park Plaza which although not 5 star is perfectly acceptable for a one night stay. I think it is the closest hotel to terminal 3 so taxi to the airport is reasonable.
#944737 by flyingfox
25 Jun 2018, 15:56
Another vote for either the Hilton T4 or the new Premier Inn both connected by a covered walkway to the terminal and in the next few week a brand new Holiday Inn Express is due to open again directly connected.
#944738 by Pianofunk
25 Jun 2018, 17:26
I’m giving the Renaissance a try ... needed two separate exec rooms with lounge access so saved a few hundred off the same offering at Sofitel

Thanks everyone for the input
Virgin Atlantic