For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#949299 by hunterdwmgzt
17 Mar 2019, 20:39
My daughter is visiting New York for the first time, flying into Newark. Her hotel is in Times Square and I’m wondering if anybody could offer any advice on the best transfer. Would she be better pre booking a coach, or picking up a taxi on arrival? She’s heard that Uber may be a cheap option on arrival?
Any advice welcomed.
D.
#949304 by pjh
17 Mar 2019, 21:59
Taxis into the city are a fixed fare (+ tolls), but she will likely have to queue.

Shared rides/buses can take ages, depending on where her accommodation is relative to everyone else on board

I’ve never tried an Uber in NYC from the airports. Unless things have changed and there’s now a dedicated meeting point for Uber / Lyft (as we found was the case in New Orleans) then the pickup is likely to be madness (and possibly subject to an
Uber peak price...)
#949358 by tontybear
19 Mar 2019, 12:49
Uber generally has a specific pick up location. I've only used them ex JFK but the area is generally well managed (looking at you ORD!) as drivers are held at a separate parking area and are only allowed to move when they have a fare.

She can get a fare estimate from the uber website. If she wants a normal taxi then she should ignore the touts and only use the ones from the marshalled lanes which are well signposted.

There are also several pre booked ride providers such as Carmel Limo.
#949359 by Turquoise
19 Mar 2019, 13:24
We took an Uber from Newark into Manhattan a couple of years ago. Booked on landing at Newark (internal flight) and the driver was there within 15 minutes. He gave specific instructions on where we were to meet him - I think it was outside Door 2 or some such location. Personally I prefer Uber to the Yellow Cabs which I find really claustrophobic, particularly when it's dark and you are facing the evening traffic into Manhattan.
#949361 by Sealink
19 Mar 2019, 13:45
The last few times Lyft has been much cheaper than Uber... they seem to be a better company too.
#949377 by pjh
19 Mar 2019, 16:42
tontybear wrote:Uber generally has a specific pick up location. I've only used them ex JFK but the area is generally well managed (looking at you ORD!) as drivers are held at a separate parking area and are only allowed to move when they have a fare.

She can get a fare estimate from the uber website. If she wants a normal taxi then she should ignore the touts and only use the ones from the marshalled lanes which are well signposted.

There are also several pre booked ride providers such as Carmel Limo.

If Uber / Lyft has a specific pick up area and you have a phone contract that isn't going to screw you three ways from Sunday when using data in the USA, then I would seriously consider them. My main concern was the chaotic nature of the pick up area the last time we went into JFK, which would possibly be stressful for a first time visitor.

Sealink wrote:The last few times Lyft has been much cheaper than Uber... they seem to be a better company too.

We used both on our recent trip. I think the Lyft app allows you to input a photo of yourself to help your driver locate you. In New Orleans many drivers seemed to be working for both. I didn't notice much of a price difference, though the only time I did a price comparison (rather than availabilty) was during a peak pricing period.
#949381 by gumshoe
19 Mar 2019, 17:28
Newark to midtown is also a doddle on the train if you don’t want to fork out for a cab.

There’s an automated AirTrain from the terminals to the rail station, then between them Amtrak and New Jersey Transit normally run into Penn Station at least twice an hour.

Alternatively there’s a direct coach every 20-30 minutes which stops at the Port Authority Bus Terminal or Bryant Park, both easily walkable from Times Sq.
#949428 by PilotWolf
21 Mar 2019, 02:51

If Uber / Lyft has a specific pick up area and you have a phone contract that isn't going to screw you three ways from Sunday when using data in the USA, then I would seriously consider them. My main concern was the chaotic nature of the pick up area the last time we went into JFK, which would possibly be stressful for a first time visitor.

Or use wifi, pretty much everywhere in California has free wifi and I doubt New York is any different.

W.
#949429 by pjh
21 Mar 2019, 09:29
PilotWolf wrote:

Or use wifi, pretty much everywhere in California has free wifi and I doubt New York is any different.

W.

Fair point, If you’re within a building and you’re not competing with 1000s of others for a connection. If you’re stood in a pick up area outside or in a parking garage, unlikely.
#949498 by PilotWolf
25 Mar 2019, 19:02
[quote]Fair point, If you’re within a building and you’re not competing with 1000s of others for a connection. If you’re stood in a pick up area outside or in a parking garage, unlikely.[\quote]

Personally never had an issue anywhere...

Or pick up a PAYG from pretty much any store - the cost is minimal. We pay $45 a month for unlimited data, text and calls and there are plenty of short term options.

W.
#949503 by ColOrd
25 Mar 2019, 23:27
I would say having been to/from JFK a handful of times the last few months, Uber quoted higher fares than the fixed JFK flat fare on every occasion.
Virgin Atlantic