For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#950324 by sunny23uk
08 May 2019, 11:02
Just a heads up, that there's a new pilot programme being run by the toll companies in central Florida for visitors, allowing them to pick up a visitor's pass at Orlando airport to use, without incurring the hire car companies additional fees.

I've just registered for my trip later this month, so can provide feedback after my trip

Details can be found at http://www.visitortollpass.com

Sunny
#950325 by AlecK
08 May 2019, 11:29
Thanks for the heads up, I've signed up for our trip at the end of June. :)
#950328 by Traveller2
08 May 2019, 12:59
Personally, I would think twice before using this.

Some car hire firms like Alamo use a Toll by Plate system, so when you drive through a SunPass lane at a toll plaza it reads you number plate and registers the cost. If you hang this new pass in your rear window, surely you could end up being charged twice?

Also some companies have been known to charge for the hire of the SunPass transponder whether or not you use it.
#950329 by sunny23uk
08 May 2019, 13:12
They advise you to let the hire car company know that you'll be using the visitor pass at the booths when you exit the rental car park, to avoid double charging. You hang the tag on the rear view mirror at the front of the car, so the toll booth transponders pick that up. I'm renting from Alamo, so they use Toll-by-Plate technology, so no in-car transponders involved. :)
#950343 by Bluebear
09 May 2019, 09:52
It all sounds good until you have a problem and it costs you a fortune in phone charges to resolve an issue.
Think I will wait until any problems have been ironed out especially as live in the UK.
The Sunpass system upgrade saga was more than enough of a toll problem experience for me to cope with!! >-(
Look forward to hearing how you get on with this. Good Luck
#950347 by JRVanillaBear
09 May 2019, 16:18
I book my cars through Turo.

It's like Air BnB, but for cars.

The car I have hired in Miami later this year comes with a sunpass already. You rack up to charges and then he just requests payment through the app at the end of the journey so it is all documented with Turo.

Any issues are taken care of through Turo. Never had an issue though, they just send you an invoice for the tolls charged in your time frame.
#950795 by sunny23uk
08 Jun 2019, 12:37
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on this. We picked up our toll passes in the area opposite the hire care desks on the lower level of MCO, given a guide and a full explanation by the staff. They take your credit card details, and then you are on your way.

You receive an email with all the details and a link so you can check any toll charges, plus you can update any details that have been recorded. This came in handy when we had to change our hire car after a couple of days due to a fault, but since it's based on the tag, it didn't really matter. Upon returning the car, just remember to remove the tag and post it in the collection boxes on the way back into the terminal or there is a $10 charge.

All the tolls were correct, and charged to my card within 3 days of returning, with no charges from the hire car company. There were reminder emails to inform you when your toll pass was due to end, but you could amend the time if needed.

All in all, I found it very simple and easy to use. I hope they introduce it permanently. ☺
Virgin Atlantic