For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#953124 by DragonLady
16 Nov 2019, 18:42
Mr DL has been diverted to SIngapore on his QR flight from CWL to CBR due to a “ technical issue“ with the plane which was a brand new A350( he’d been home for a very brief period due to my stepfather dying) . He has now been told that he will need to stay overnight in Singapore and that he will be flown on tomorrow back to Canberra ( presumably on the same QR aircraft) . QR have refused to re- book him onto another flight ( Singapore have a flight that leaves in 6 hours) .He had a long layover in Doha so is exhausted and just wants to get back to his Australian domicile.
What are his options?
Will this qualify for EU 261 ?
He’s travelling in economy and has no status with QR ( Virgin wanted stupid sums of money to get him back to the UK as a bereavement fare despite him being Au) .
I’d be really grateful for any help.
Thanks,
DL
Last edited by DragonLady on 17 Nov 2019, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
#953125 by gumshoe
16 Nov 2019, 19:40
Assuming all on one ticket, yes it qualifies for EC261 compensation. QR also have duty of care obligations including a hotel if the delay extends overnight.

But as far as I can see, if it’s merely a delay as opposed to a cancellation QR are not obliged to rebook you on another flight to your final destination - only, if the delay is over 5 hours, to fly you back to where you came from if you don’t want to complete your journey.
#953126 by DragonLady
16 Nov 2019, 19:51
Thanks Gumshoe - yes all on one ticket CWL-DOH-SYD-CBR. He’s now in a hotel in Singapore ( 3am there). All passengers have been advised that if the aircraft is serviceable they’re likely to fly out tonight ( their time).Not sure what QR’s plan is if it isn’t ? They’ve been told to have breakfast in the hotel( but nothing more than that).
Can he claim for other reasonable expenses ( soft drinks further food etc) ?
DL
DL
#953127 by tontybear
16 Nov 2019, 20:29
which sector was the diversion on? Matters because it will determine if EU261 is applicable or not
#953128 by DragonLady
16 Nov 2019, 20:35
tontybear wrote:which sector was the diversion on? Matters because it will determine if EU261 is applicable or not

DOH-SYD ( and ultimately CBR) but booked as CWL - CBR as a through journey
#953130 by gumshoe
16 Nov 2019, 22:06
DragonLady wrote:Can he claim for other reasonable expenses ( soft drinks further food etc) ?

EC261 is a bit vague: it just specifies “meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time”. But I doubt QR would refuse a reasonable claim.
#953131 by gumshoe
16 Nov 2019, 22:13
tontybear wrote:which sector was the diversion on? Matters because it will determine if EU261 is applicable or not

Not so: for an ex-UK itinerary like this, as long as it’s all on the same ticket EC261 applies to the entire journey, even if the sector that’s delayed or cancelled is wholly outside the EU and operated by a non-EU airline.
#953135 by tontybear
17 Nov 2019, 04:44
gumshoe wrote:

Not so: for an ex-UK itinerary like this, as long as it’s all on the same ticket EC261 applies to the entire journey, even if the sector that’s delayed or cancelled is wholly outside the EU and operated by a non-EU airline.

Tryy telling QR that and geting anyone to enforce it.
#953143 by DragonLady
18 Nov 2019, 00:03
Ok - bit of an update. MrDL eventually arrived in Sydney over 24 hrs after he was supposed to ( his original flight was then due to fly onto CBR as he’d done in reverse on the way home).The technical issue was a software fault apparently .QR had decided not to fly onto CBR and had booked him on the 06.45 QF flight to CBR ( bit of an issue as the flight was 90 minutes late departing SIN and the flight didn’t arrive until gone 08.00! )He was then advised he’d been booked on the 09.00QF flight but had to clear customs , immigration etc and missed this too ( departs from another terminal to boot). He’s now re- booked onto the 14.30 QF flight ( despite VA having a flight before then). He says Qatar have been no help at all getting him back to CBR ( which should have been on the same aircraft ).
Not sure where to go with this in terms of customer service ( he’s missed a day of work) and will be 30 odd hours late arriving back in CBR. He’s vowed never to fly QR again .
He’s also very tired and hungry >-( >-(
DL
#953148 by joeyc
18 Nov 2019, 11:10
Sorry to read all about hubby's issues DL, glad he's finally made it back though.

I had such trouble getting to CBR last year that in the end I just abandoned hopes of getting there and opted to stay in SYD instead. Storms, airplane issues .. you name it.

DragonLady wrote:
Thanks again gumshoe .Bit rotten given they’ve upped the cost of the plat card and there are no other options now in T3 in SYD ( PP have also pulled out of lounge access at CWL).
DL

Aus airport lounges are mostly in the possession of the airlines that fly from there as opposed to the influx of third party lounges you find everywhere else. The VA lounge at T2 is quite good, and if Mr DL is never flying QR again, I assume that means their OneWorld partners too.. :-P

It has been some time since I was in T3, but I believe there is an ale bar there somewhere that offers a good spot for some people watching and a fair selection on tap.

If he is looking for recommendations, now that QR are out of the picture, I have never had an issue with EK. They offer some good connection timings and if you fly out of DUB you can save some cash on ticket price too as opposed to flying from LHR, LGW or MAN.

DragonLady wrote:Not sure where to go with this in terms of customer service ( he’s missed a day of work) and will be 30 odd hours late arriving back in CBR. He’s vowed never to fly QR again .

It will have to be QR I am afraid, they will also be the ones processing the EU261 claim... more fun ahead, let us know how you get on :cool:
#953237 by DragonLady
24 Nov 2019, 12:50
Ok- Mr DL has had a response from QR

“We are sorry for the inconvenience that you encountered and can fully appreciate how unsettling this situation must have been for you. Although every effort is made to achieve on time departures, there are occasions when flights are delayed / cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control as it unfortunately happened with QR906, which diverted to Singapore due to unexpected flight safety shortcomings. “

There’s then this ...

“Although we understand the consequences of flight delay, we regret that we are unable to accommodate your request favorably. “

There is no reference to EC261 ( which he clearly stated he was claiming under) nor of the claim for refreshments and food in his lengthy stop ( another 5 plus hours on top of the diversion) in SYD before his flight to point of original destination ( CBR). Not sure where to go from here . Is this “ unexpected flight safety shortcomings “ a reason for denial ? ( a brand new A350 !!).
Any advice gratefully accepted :)
DL
#953238 by gumshoe
24 Nov 2019, 13:16
QR are just trying to wriggle out of paying, not unusually (and that goes for any airline, including VS).

Usual procedure now would be for Mr DL to send them a “letter before action” - basically giving them a final chance to do the right thing before you go down the legal route.

Details here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-a ... all-claim/

If QR still won’t play ball Mr DL can either file a DIY claim using Money Claim Online (formerly the Small Claims Court) or go to one of the ambulance chasers like Bott who’ll take a hefty chunk of his €600 but do all the work.

This will, sadly, involve a fight. But technical problems are absolutely not an extraordinary circumstance as defined by EC261.
#953239 by DragonLady
24 Nov 2019, 13:25
Thanks gumshoe- looks like this might be a long slog....I’m hoping his flight back home again in a few weeks with VA/ VS will be without issue ( it wasn’t last December......:) ).
DL
Virgin Atlantic