Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#237578 by VS-EWR
25 Aug 2005, 14:00
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS018 G-VATL Miss Kitty

This flight marked the second time I have used online check-in, and unfortunately it didn't really come in useful. I get the counter at EWR and find a medium sized line awaiting check-in. I go to the DIY counter, but the person there seems too concentrated on other passengers, and pretty much ignores my family and me. I think it would be better if VS put up an actual line going to the DIY counter, instead of just having it just shoved in with the other counters. So really, the online check-in did not save any time at all, because by the time the guy who was at the counter got to us, the line had only about 4 separate parties in it, most of which would have probably been behind us.
We were told our gate and went straight to it. Security was a breeze, and the line was almost non-existent, so we got the gate with no problem at all. We did a little light shopping for newspapers and candy, and then the boarding started. I didnt see until later that the plane was Miss Kitty, as both her name and registration were blocked from view. Our seats were at the back of the plane, and unfortunately were where the plane started to taper, this made for an unfortunately uncomfortable takeoff and landing. But as the plane was barely full, the captain said that we could move freely to other seats within our classes. After a fairly long queue for take off, we finally rotated. Our position on the plane (the right side) allowed for a wonderful view, and photo op, of Manhattan and the Long Island Sound. After the seat belt sign was disabled, I moved to the middle section of seating, but kept on an aisle. I found that this was much more comfortable than the side areas. But I was disappointed when I started to use the V-Port system, because it was a little slow and unresponsive, and my controller barely worked.
The food service on this leg was very bad, each of us, in my family, had a different choice, and all of them were cold and had a generally crappy taste. I decided I could live on my breakfast, and gave mine to my dad, who will eat anything. But of everything, the fruit was the best part, which I enjoyed the most. This was the only big food service we actually had, which was a bit strange, but they did give us some ice cream later. We only had one drink service as well, which was annoying, but I could have pressed the call button if I desperately wanted a drink.
The flight crew/attendants were very good; I noticed that they responded to passengers very quickly. The captain was great, he kept pointing out landmarks on our departure and landing, and as we were leaving he said, Thanks for choosing us and not British Airways!
The IFE grew slightly better during the flight, but my controller still was not working all the time. The movie selection was good, and I was able to entertain myself for the entire flight. I chose to watch, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe, and Oceans Twelve. I also watched an episode of The Simpsons, and was glad to see that they allowed you to choose a variety of episodes from a list.
Our arrival was good as well; we had a great view of London, and before, of Wales and England. It was surprisingly not cloudy, so I moved back to my window seat so I could get some more pictures of whatever I saw. We circled for a little bit before our landing, and it was interesting because I saw no less than 4 aircraft doing the same thing in front of, and behind us. We, in particular, were in pursuit of a BA 777. The landing was a bit rough, but it didnt really matter. We got to our gate in no time, with no waiting, and getting off of the plane was fairly easy. Even though we were at the back of the plane, it took almost no time to get off. There was no line in customs, and our baggage came out almost as we got down to the carrousel.
All in all, I liked the VS flight, I probably wouldnt have if I wasnt able to move to another seat, but gladly that was not the case. But Virgin, seriously you need to think of your EC passengers. I was disappointed about the amount of legroom in total, no matter where I was seated. But that would be my only complaint about this leg of my journey. Please excuse my delay on posting my return trip. I dont really have time right now, as it is my 17th birthday, and it is time to go attempt to get my drivers license.
#309571 by mike-smashing
25 Aug 2005, 17:52
Originally posted by VS-EWR
The captain was great, he kept pointing out landmarks on our departure and landing, and as we were leaving he said, ÒThanks for choosing us and not British Airways!Ó

I doubt that this person was the Captain. Was more likely to have been the FSM, or one of the other cabin crew.

The reasoning behind this is that almost all airline operators (and I'd be surprised if VS doesn't do this) maintain what's known as a 'sterile flightdeck' below an altitude of 10,000ft.

This means no non-essential PA announcements (i.e. nothing other than requests for the Cabin Crew to be seated, prepare for takeoff or landing, or emergency announcements like orders to brace or evacuate), no additional personnel on the flight deck (i.e. just the flight crew and any official/authorised jumpseats), a locked flight deck door (standard these days, of course), no idle chit-chat, and no other distractions.

This applies from pushback/engine start to clearing 10,000ft, unless the parking brake is on - hence why the flightdeck can come on to tell you, 'There are 15 planes in front of us, so we won't be taking off for about 20 minutes', while you're sat in a line waiting to go at Heathrow.

The sterile flightdeck is done to ensure safety of the aircraft during the most dynamic phases of the flight. A number of accidents on takeoff or landing were caused because the pilots were distracted during their preparations. For example, a Northwest MD80 crashed on takeoff back in the 1980's because the crew were too busy flirting with one of the flight attendants during taxi, that they forgot to set the flaps, causing the plane to stall on takeoff.

Just thought you may have been interested to know.

Of course, it could have been a 3 person Flight Crew - in which case one person is always 'spare' on a jumpseat, though they should join in with the sterile flightdeck procedures.

Cheers,
Mike
#309595 by Scrooge
25 Aug 2005, 18:58
Thanks for a TR from Y,just about what we all expect when flying in the back,good crew,good IFE,flip a coin on the food and no legroom.

Congrats on getting your license..remember,keep death of the roads....drive on the sidewalks[}:)]
#309614 by buns
25 Aug 2005, 22:11
VS-EWR

Nice to have more reports about the Y cabin[y][y].

Hope your visit to the UK lived up to your expectations[;)]

buns