Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239145 by easygoingeezer
28 Nov 2005, 13:11
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well this was the holiday I planned for over a year and a half, I plumped for virgin Holidays because I was taking my mum, dad and little cousin to the land of Mickey and wanted everything to go smoothly.

My privately arranged limo ( actually a Voyager people carrier ) arrived at my house and took us to the Radisson for our pre holiday night, the room was a suite and business class room all joined together with runway views, exellent in every way including my welcome flowers and bubbly. I highly recommend Voyager for perfect timing and comfort from our house in Harrogate to Manchester and back, good price and good service.

Checkin was fine as we had done the OLCI and we got the seats upstairs
as promised.

Boarding was slightly delayed due to some mysterious pax who ignored announcements for them to come to the desk ( even though they were only 100 yards away..some people )

we boarded but there was NO kiddie pack handed to my little guest
( though others were given one after we boarded ), the seat was fine
( though I missed my suite, guess I am hooked on UCS now .

It went downhill from there, all year I have been telling my parents how fantastic the service is on Virgin and this is the one time I get the flight with a prissy queen to look after upstairs who looked like he really didn't want to be there. He seemed to take an instant dislike to all of us and I caught him pulling bad smell faces at my little nephew who was the only youngster upstairs, who in fact never uttered a word throughout the flight just watched Charlie and the chocolate factory over and over. I was a bit narked that he was getting the 'whats a child doing up here look'.

After four hours I had to go back and check wether my dads pre ordered 60th birthday cake and bubbly was going to be given to him
( the lady on the phone told me two hours in to the flight it would be announced and served ) My little surly friend looked most put out
and went to look for it, in the end I had to serve it myself.

I ordered my duty free stuff one hour in to flight and was told 6 hours later that no duty free had been loaded and was handed back my credit card.

the food was nice enough ( albeit thrown at us with a thud )

The one highlight was that the cabin lady in UCS recognised me and was very pleased to show my dad the new suite and how it worked and gave him a chocolate, alas we then had to return upstairs and brave our surly friend who appeared more interested in if his ass looked good in his pants.

A very bumpy ride for the first hour so I clung on to my Brandy just in case I wasn't offered another.

Perfect landing.

When we arrived at MCO there were NO VH reps at Baggage and no customary invite to welcome meeting, nor our advertised free visit to Planet Hollywood.

Anyway thats my flight, a bit of a dissapointment, and egg on my face after getting my family all exited about VA's legendary smiles and good service.

Fortunately the trip back was the opposite, as detailed in next TR.
#320854 by Nottingham Nick
28 Nov 2005, 13:24
EGG

I am sorry the flight didn't live up to your billing... I know how much effort you had put into planning the trip, and how much you were looking forward to it.

It is amazing how all of this planning and anticipation can be spoilt by the negative attitude of one person. I certainly think a short, polite, letter to VS - pointing them in the direction of your TR - is called for.

Looking forward to the return report.

Nick
#320857 by easygoingeezer
28 Nov 2005, 13:29
Thanks for that Nick, I think I will just take it on the chin
the guy may have had a headache or a private trauma to deal with
so I won't single him out, we got there safe and the return made up for it.
#320859 by mike-smashing
28 Nov 2005, 13:53
It's a real shame how a rotten crew (even just one crew member) can make or break the flight, isn't it?

This really seems to be the case with VS, more so than other airlines, I think. With most other airlines, the crew are often just 'there' and do their service, and it's perfectly acceptable, and there's no problems.

I've had flights in PE which have been better than Upper - I've had 'The bar is closed' sneered at me by some jumped up fool with a prissy Beckham haircut before now (and when I've been travelling on J ticket!).

It's good to see that VS hire genuine individuals with strong personalities, compared to the blandness we've come to expect from the 'McDonaldised' service that seems to be everywhere these days.

The only downside of this seems to be that us pax end up having to handle the occasional rotten apple, which naturally leaves behind a sour taste.

Glad to hear that the flight back was much better, and restored your faith! Just imagine if you had been flying with that sour-puss both ways? [:$]

Mike
#320875 by Treelo
28 Nov 2005, 16:06
EGG,

Sorry to hear about your bad MAN to MCO experience. It really gets on my t*&% when this happens - you plan for ages and 'big up' VS in the process and all you need is one eejit to totally screw you up. I had the same thing last year with my grandchildren - funnily enough that was MAN to MCO too - and found the service not up to the standards generally associated with VS.

Still, glad to hear the return trip was better[:D]
#320903 by RedVee
28 Nov 2005, 20:28
Aw - EGG, so sorry that this g*t spoiled it for you. I know how long you've been planning this for, then there was the (aherm) minor hiccup with your dad. Anticipation is always part of the whole experience for me, and I can see how you've built this up both for yourself and your family based on your previous experience with VA. Sorry, guy, but I wouldn't be so understanding (headache? private trauma?) - possibly even bad hair day or perhaps he thought his bum looked big that day?[:(!] He shouldn't have turned up if he couldn't cut it. Get your email into customer services.
#320905 by ela123
28 Nov 2005, 20:30
We had this earlier in the year. The Outbound flight was very poor but the return flight was fantastic. The crew do make or break the flight and the reason why I so strongly recommend VS is that (usually) the crew are superb and good fun.
I hope your flight didn't ruin your holiday and I hope you all had a fantastic time!
#320936 by ChuckC
28 Nov 2005, 22:48
Egg,
Your attitude is darned commendable, considering the fuss you endured with that FA.

Regards,
Chuck-
#323684 by easygoingeezer
26 Dec 2005, 01:35
Just thought
i would add to this and let you guys know I booked VS073/76 for next Nov this time UCS, should be much better next time and I am not going to let one FA tarnish the rest of the VA team for me. Hopefully he will be on the morning flight ( which is why i opted for the vs073 afternoon flight.

NO reply whatsoever to my customer feedback to VA, however VH posted me two kiddie packs which became part of my little nephews crimbo present.

Managed to get 15% off this with VH because it was booked on christmas day.
Virgin Atlantic