Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239219 by Decker
02 Dec 2005, 05:41
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
We'd booked into K as we booked so far in advance that Ss were coming in at Z prices! Before checking in it was VERY apparent that there would be very little availability so we resolved to get to the airport earlier than usual to grab the exit rows upstairs. To be safe we'd booked 74A and C in case the exit rows had gone already. At 11:30 with the cab booked for 12:00 I checked online to see if the car had been assigned yet - I've had some problems with Addison Lee recently and wanted to be double sure. The 'track your driver' option showed him 500 yards away so we quickly completed packing and sure enough he
turned up 25 minutes early. A speedy M4 trip and into a relatively quiet T3 drop off area. Straight to UC check in and the hope of an OpUp, quickly dashed when the pleasant checkin person assigned us the exit rows we requested. Fast Track vouchers in hand we walked upstairs to a very empty Fast Track. The person in front of us had a trolley for her carry on - somewhat missing the point I feel.

A well executed plan had Mrs D doing some last minute shopping whilst I high tailed to the Club House to try and bag a mileage upgrade. The concierge was very helpful (she was off to Sydney for three days on staff travel and crew were doing all they could to ensure she could fly J - hope she made it!) but regretted that we'd have to pay to upgrade from K to S. At 305 per person this seemed a bit steep given that we paid so much for the Ks but confident in the knowledge that the return would stay K (oversold in EVERY class) we decided to do it. I then went off to the Cowshed desk to book a pseudo manicure then awaited Mrs D's arrival. My wait person was the same attentive person who looked after the V-Flyer contingent on the way out to the gig in Vegas and asked if I was having the same treatments this time! She is SO friendly and always a pleasure to see. Possible hero candidate methinks.

Mrs D arrived having completed her shopping and we both moved from the armchairs to the dining area where we both had the Full English, with champagne for Mrs D and Pride for me... that's what my heart yearned for then... Whilst waiting for the food the upgrade finalised and our PE boarding cards were ceremoniously ripped up and new purple ones issued. We were told that we'd receive a receipt at the checkin desk.

My pseudo manicure proceeded without drama although the delivery was a little lacklustre. Returned to Mrs D and browsed V-Flyer from one of the terminals provided in the smoking area. The setup uses a Citrix farm for some strange reason so rebooting my workstation left me logged into the site - tad annoying as the keyboard was playing up and I couldn't log out.

Eventually managed to exit the site and returned to join Mrs D. Shortly before boarding was called our wait person came over
to ensure we were cognisant of the expansion plans and to wish us a safe flight and happy new year! We made our way down to gate 42 and to the head of the priority queue. As Mrs D's card went through a message flashed up suggesting that the person deliver a message to the pax. The person ignored this and waved us through. As we arrived preboarding was announced and a group of adults and children (aged 8+) were allowed through first. Quite why they need preboarding escapes me. As they seemed to be the only ones UC and PE were called next and we were first onto the airbridge where the family group were ensconced
outside the plane door - apparently the plane wasn't ready. We queued for 10 minutes and a substantial queue built up behind us but then we were on and straight to our assigned seats - 15A and D. Whilst the B zone misses the intimacy of the A zone it DOES have better storage!

The plane soon filled up and given the new Laurent Perrier on board it seemed churlish to refuse the offer of champagne! Shortly before the doors closed a member of ground staff came on board to deliver our receipt - that was what the message was about at check in! Usual pre flight ritual followed and after a longish wait we were airborne. Mrs D Fell asleep immediately and only awoke when service started.

The IFBT had taken my order for a hot hands and I believe I was the second person treated despite having had a clubhouse treatment! She was one of the new intake - having joined 6 months previous. Apparently the IFBTs are really ramping up with 4 more batches since her's which was one of the biggest in VS history. She reliably informs me that manicures return from January so huzzah from me! She was sweetness and light and provided a wonderfully deep tissue hand massage.

We were, as my American friends say 'blessed'. We have both a new set of V-Port AND a new menu with the new wines mentioned elsewhere on the forum. The new menu looks great - food has yet to be served so judgement will be reserved. But...

Dinner
Starters
Seasonal Leaf Salad with marinated chicken fillets, mozzarella and tomato & pesto dressing
Organic cream of broccoli & stilton soup served with a choice of warm breads

Main Courses
Lamb and mint steamed suet pudding served with crushed potatoes with leek, roasted shallots, parsnips, carrots and traditional rich gravy (Mrs D comments that the carrots were undercooked, was undecided about the potatoes (bit salty). Not fond of the lamb - so not recommended.
Grilled salmon and hake served with seafood paella, grilled asparagus and lemon & caper butter sauce (nice but a little dry - teething problems methinks).
Vegetable & ricotta vol-au-vent served with orzo pasta, sun dried tomatoes and tomato cumin sauce

Cheese
Blacksticks Blue - soft blue veined cheese with a smooth flavour
Ilchester Mature Cheddar (pet hate rant - the font used renders this IIChester but I ASSUME it is Ilchester) - Smooth close textured cheese with a delicate flavour
Somerset Camembert - a creamy cheese with a mild taste

Cheeses are offered with assorted crackers and garnish

Dessert
Chocolate Bread and Butter pudding served with champagne clotted cream
Vanilla ice cream served with winter berry compote

Smaller Bites
Houmous and roasted vegetable wrap
Bacon shallot and parmesan twice baked potato
Chicken and mushroom pie (not from the Square Pie Company)

Now the BEST news is yet to come. VS have switched over to Berry Bros and Rudd for their wines! This is significant to me as when I started my company in the late '80s early '90s I threw a leaving party in Basingstoke with all wines sourced from this estimable house! Go Virgin! The tasting notes are now much more comprehensive!

Champagne - Laurent Perrier Brut nv
Prosecco di Valdobbiadene, Trevisiol & Figli NV, Veneto, Italy

White wines
Berrys' Own Selection White Burgundy 2003, France
Domaine de Cessane Marsanne/Viognier 2004, Vin de Pays d'Oc, France
Santa Celina Pinot Gris 2005, J & F Lurton, Mendoza, Argentina

Red Wines
Berrys'Own selection Australian Siraz 2004, South Australia
Chateau Lucas 2002, Lussac-St-Emilion, Bordeaux, France
Laderas El Seque 2004, Artadi, Alicante, Spain

And has been mentioned - special guests were Fallen Vodka and 'Virgin Special Bellini'.

Galley FM suggests that there have been changes to route bidding and that seniority doesn't seem to count as much as it used to. Interesting to see if this is just teething problems. Will also be interested in results of second staff pay ballot?!

Anyway landed a little late and priority baggage BAD - came in after economy... but at least not ALL economy. Jumped in a cab, eaten, drank and BEDTIME!
#321461 by Scrooge
02 Dec 2005, 08:37
Thanks for the TR Decker,seems like a decent flight,I don't think much of the menu though,im a person that has shall we say problems with onions,mix in flying in a pressurised cabin and I think the menu could cause problems,nice wine list though.
#321495 by Mavrick
02 Dec 2005, 14:00
Good T.R.[y] Enjoy your break have fun.[:D]
#321504 by ChuckC
02 Dec 2005, 14:47
Decker,
Great hearing from you. Your always well written TR is excellent. The menu does sound a bit eclectic but it's a relief to learn about upgraded wines, a flood of IFBT newbies, attentive CH service. VS is listening.

In your return TR I hope that we can hear a bit about your stay here in the States. In the meantime, enjoy!

Best regards,
Chuck-
#321539 by mike-smashing
02 Dec 2005, 23:02
Nice TR, and the food sounds better and slightly more varied.

Good to see that lighter bites are back on an East Coast flight.

Does anyone know if these are these being loaded on all LHR-East Coast flights (IAD/JFK/EWR/BOS), or just some flights?

I agree with others' sentiments: it looks like VS have been working on our comments about the food and drink service, and trying to make improvements.

I just hope we're not in for a 'boom and bust' menu cycle... and of course, I wish bacon butties or steak sandwiches were available as 'standing' lighter bites on all flights!

Cheers!
Mike
#321622 by JAT74L
04 Dec 2005, 01:01
Ah Decks... A fab, detailed and flowing TR. Superb!

Regards

John
#321714 by buns
04 Dec 2005, 22:10
Decker

Thanks for an excellent TR[y][y]

I hope the new menu setlles down quickly - with your assessment that two out of the three dishes were lacking - otherwise VS will get it in the theck again[V][V]
#321734 by Decker
05 Dec 2005, 00:49
Thanks for the comments peeps! Appreciated.

The trip was great fun - the party on Friday was cut a little short 'cos we were so lagged BUT the company was great and the scran was top notch. Saturday was even more fun - I got to play with my friend over here making a float for their 'Home for the Holidays' parade. The theme this year was Modern Cartoons so our float was to be Scooby Doo. Cue an afternoon of using cool tools (the guy has multiple nail guns!) to build a great looking float. Mike's an A1 guy who combines running a successful software company with knowing all there is to know about building stuff from scratch and training me as he goes!

The parade was a great success so back to our friend's for a post parade party followed by a trip down to the Sheraton to overnight before flying back.

Jetwet
Ah yes but you'll always get flatulence on board - the guy in front of me today was well out of order and that was without onions!

Mavrick
See above [y][:D]

Chuck
[:I] Why thank you sir [8D]

Mike
No more flights planned until March (although that changes on a monthly basis) so over to others to reveal how food keeps up [}:)]

John
Again thanks [:I]

Buns
I'm suspecting prep over food at fault here I'm optimistic! [:D]
#321739 by mike-smashing
05 Dec 2005, 01:20
Originally posted by Decker
Mike
No more flights planned until March (although that changes on a monthly basis) so over to others to reveal how food keeps up [}:)]

Should be doing a BOS and SFO in Jan, so I'll be reporting on those...

Cheers!
Mike
Virgin Atlantic