Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239269 by Nitrox
04 Dec 2005, 16:32
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Arrived at LHR in plenty of time so to enjoy the new clubhouse [:)] There was a (small) queue for UC check-in; the guy immediately in front of had a bit of tantrum when a couple who had been at the UC ticket desk to the right of check-in took the next available check-in desk ahead of him (the guy was next in line) No big deal I thought as they had been there before all of us anyway I would imagine....Recognised check-in agent from my last trip. Did notice though when she asked if I had any bags to check and I said that I would like to take this (pointing to my small suitcase !) as carry-on, she said that would be fine and wasn't concerned about weighing it which was in contrast to my last trip when I had to check it in. She was very pleasant and conveyed a message that had been left on my booking record from a friend of a friend who works at LHR for VS. I had purchased an S originally and used miles to upgrade both ways. No sign of any scribble on my boarding card to suggest I was G though. Through Fastrack (not that fast mind) and straight to the Clubhouse !

Was warmly welcomed at the top of the stairs and asked if I had been here before; I said yes, but not since it has changed. She then gave me a pointed tour of what was where etc and checked me off on her touch screen thing. Was very busy and had to share a table with someone else. Hopefully once fully open, there should be plenty of seats/tables to go round. Service was excellent and my Full English was just what the doctor ordered !! Had a quick nosy round but returned to my seat fairly quickly as it was in danger of being acquired. Do like the glass partitioning, but had a job to work out where the entrances were on occasions [:I] and walked in to it once when not looking where I was going [B)] !!! Liked the waterfall thing too; very calming.....[|)]

Flight was called about 1215, by which time the Clubhouse was certainly less busy. Started the hike to Gate 35.......knew it was a 346 and could see one in the distance as I was walking up, but wasn't sure which side Gate 35 was on. Was hoping it was going to be G-VWKD MissBehavin and as I got closer my suspicions were confirmed.....................it wasn't !! Boo hiss boo....[:D] G-VSHY Madam Butterfly was waiting and after a little bit of queuing in the covered walkway thing, turned left ([;)]) and was settled in to 3K. Although being the Tokyo flight, I was still pleasantly surprised at the number of Japanese cabin crew. In UC, I think I saw 4 Japanese and 2 Non-Japanese. Drinks and sleep suits were offered very quickly and although initially started with water, decided to try the (new) champagne after overhearing a conversation between the cabin crew which went along the lines of 'being better than the other stuff'. Not a wine or champagne drinker although do enjoy a glass of champagne if available. Certainly no connoisseur either but reckoned it tasted a little less aggressive (?) or 'softer' than the previous stuff I had had on board. Most people were already changing into their sleep suits but I chose to wait till after lunch to slip (?!) in to mine. Landing cards were also handed round. IFBT came round and I said 'yes please !' Had a quick glance at the menu and was impressed by the selection (I think I read a recent post about the NRT flight being better 'stocked' than other flights, but whether this increases the quantity rather than the selection, I don't know) Pushed back about 1305 and during taxi we passed G-VWKD on remote stand 582. Looked sparklingly new !! There were a few of the silver VS cars/vans round her and steps were attached. I suppose they were checking out their newest acquisition !! After a very quick wait we were steaming down 09R and rotated about 1325.

Once airborne, further drinks were offered and I started on and stayed on the Kirin. Big fan of Japanese beers and it was nice to see on the menu. IFBT then asked if I would like my massage before lunch which was fine with me. She was extremely pleasant and made interesting conversation. Back to my seat feeling all lethargic [|)] and it was time to order lunch; menu choices were (from memory):

Starters

Green leaf salad with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes and marinated chicken
Broccoli and stilton soup
1 other I can't remember

Mains

Beef teriyaki with boiled rice and steamed carrots, broccoli and bamboo shoots
Japanese Bento Box
Can't remember the others

Desserts

Chocolate bread & butter pudding with champagne clotted cream
Vanilla ice-cream with warm berry compote
Cheese etc

Salad was nice but the chicken was very dry. The beef was good, and so were the vegetable and the rice. The teriyaki sauce was a bit 'glutinous' though. B&B pudd was very nice.

After lunch sat back and watched Decent (OK but not really my type of film) and the film/documentary about the Enron collapse, which I enjoyed very much. Cannot believe how long their fairytale accounting policies went unnoticed and how the completely screwed California during the energy crisis. Am now going to take a keen interest in the trial of former Chairman Kenneth Lay (IMHO nice bloke but probably knew/felt what was going on but was in too deep) and CEO Jeff Skilling (who IMHO was totally naive and the ringleader). What was most bitter to swallow though was that these guys were cashing in stock options for millions at a time, whilst there employees would be left without a pot to piss in[V][:(!] Absolute scandal and I digress.

FSM didn't introduce herself but did hand round Carlos and didn't see much more of her after that (not moaning just an observation). Most people had already started to sleep so I rang the bell [:p] and asked to have my bed made whilst I took a trip to the lavs** and slipped in to my sleep suit. They are a good idea these things as I had declined one on my only other UC trip and woke up with my clothes looking like a ragman's coat. In to bed and head down for as long as possible. Think I managed a couple of hours but have to say that I personally don't find the bed that comfortable. Its absolutely lovely to be able to stretch out but I find I can't sleep that well if I'm not comfortable. The other thing that prevented me from sleeping was the cabin temperature. Was quite warm under the duvet without the cabin being warm also. Kept the bed though and read a bit and watched the i-map until breakfast time.

Had pre-ordered breakfast and when asked what I would like, reminded him that I had already pre-ordered. He returned with my tray and was exactly as ordered. The one big improvement IMHO is the bacon roll !!. I had one on my previous UC flight (May 05) and it wasn't good at all. This time though it was real bacon rashers (as opposed to that circular shaped stuff I had last time) and the bread roll was excellent. It was so good I asked for another !! [:I]

Before long we were cruising over northern Honshu and descending towards Narita. No stacking and one big right hooker and we were in line. Landing was smooth and we were on stand in no time at all. Had to frantically fill in another landing card whilst queuing as they had changed in the last couple of days. Typical !!

All in all an excellent flight with a good selection of food and drink. Crew were excellent in every respect and very efficient. I did wonder whether the crew take a more professional approach on the NRT flight as it is mainly a business route and highly competitive ?? Just a thought and certainly not to say they aren't on other routes but just a feeling.

Glad to say I'm still an advocate of VS in every respect !!

Adam

** Pix - I don't know whether it was the specific config of G-VSHY but there was no WC in the section in front of 2K (contrary to the seat map). This seemed to be a storage/cupboard area.
#321674 by iforres1
04 Dec 2005, 17:50
Nitrox,

Thanks for an excellent TR, full of vaild points. Japanese beer on a Japanese route, does this mean that they have Cobra or Lal Toofan on the routes to India[:D]

Iain
#321676 by Pete
04 Dec 2005, 17:55
Originally posted by Nitrox

** Pix - I don't know whether it was the specific config of G-VSHY but there was no WC in the section in front of 2K (contrary to the seat map). This seemed to be a storage/cupboard area.

I understand that's a difference on only some of the 346s. Not quite sure how to handle that in the seatmap section, though. [:?]
#321680 by Mavrick
04 Dec 2005, 18:25
Good T.R.[y] thank you enjoy your trip.[:)]
#321703 by JAT74L
04 Dec 2005, 21:15
Thanks for the TR Nitrox[y]

It's certainly whetted my appetite for my forthcoming 900/901 trips in Jan!

Regards

John
#321707 by Richard28
04 Dec 2005, 21:24
Echo that - great TR.

Japan is very high on my list of places to go, maybe next year... [:)]

Thanks also for the tip on the Enron film - I'll look out fot that one

Rich
Virgin Atlantic