Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239276 by Decker
05 Dec 2005, 00:37
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Apologies in advance but this report will be a tad more negative than usual.

Quick followup to the outbound VS01 UC reported earlier this week. Mrs D reminds me that Carlos was only handed out one side of the plane (not ours) and that there were no chocolates on the bar. Mrs D asked for them and to give the FSM credit she did go off and find them but they were a shadow of their former selves - little square pieces not Roses or those other filled ones we've been seeing more recently.

Knowing we were down for an early start we checked into the Sheraton late on Saturday evening. We received a very warm

welcome and a room on the club floor. It's amazing how comfortable hotel beds have become over the past couple of years and the Sheraton is no exception. We'd checked availability and knew there was no chance of an upgrade, overbooked in all Premium Cabins so we checked in online to ensure we kept our preassigned seats - 19A and 19C. This went ahead without incident allowing us to plan to check in a bit later - no point in trying for exit row seats - they don't exist in PE on the 343!

We woke to a snow filled landscape - happy Xmas America! We opted to skip the complimentary breakfast in favour of the lounge and so hopped into the shuttle to the airport. There seemed to be a queue at the baggage drop so we opted to check in at UC. A very friendly security check then onto checkin. We still had the UC labels on from our outward journey so Mrs D suggested not bothering with the proffered PE labels. The checkin person seemed almost affronted by this complaining that this would lead to our bags not being scanned and lost in the system. She even chased one of our bags down the belt to ensure this was rectified! We weren't offered lounge passes but figured we'd have no problems with our FC Au cards and sure enough 5 minutes later we were in the Club House sitting down to a cooked breakfast which was actually better than we were expecting. That isn't to say that it was GOOD just that it was better than we were expecting.

Can I just get this off my chest? Some of the ground staff at EWR (with the exception of the CH crew) really really really suck.

Thanks for that.

Back to our trip...

By 7:30 the flight hadn't been called so we decided to make our way to the gate. Whilst Mrs D changed into her flight clothing I hung around the reception and listened to about 8 different people ask if the flight was on time. They were assured that it was. A new arrival was warned that the VS18 was going to be J2000 (or non suite as they were told). Given that we were in PE this was actually good news as they'd be the old seats. We made our way to the gate and waited for boarding. The Priority Board was put up and the Red Carpet rolled out so Mrs D and I joined a queue of 20 people assembled there. Boarding commenced without ANY announcements. Seeing this an alternate queue formed at right angles to the Priority Queue and people started filtering through on board. The member of Ground staff at that location called over her shoulder to the goateed employee behind the desk 'are we just letting anyone on?'. He laughed and said 'Yeah' and went back to not making boarding announcements.

We took our assigned seats and were pleased to have used the site seat maps to avoid the mistake of taking the first row. Due to not borarding by numbers the plane was soon at a standstill with people jams in the aisles. This meant that the pre drinks service was interrupted by the FA not being able to deliver due to people standing waiting to get to their seats. Eventually a small glass of champagne was delivered and duly consumed. People were filing past with two large non regulation bags, big shopping bags etc. A PA even had to be made explaining cabin luggage regulations and the possibility of checking luggage. I could only despair for the crew - the Ground Crew not boarding properly and not checking carry on limits made their job a LOT more difficult than it needed to be.

At one stage a member of ground staff came on board and started looking for 18D. Much hilarity ensued as she toed and froed
between 18D and 18G speaking to each occupant thereof whilst trying to work out which seat was which. Well it didn't but short of despair what can you say about a member of staff who can't tell the difference between the letter D and G?

Thus started the wait... after 45 minutes the Captain announced a delay whilst some essential paperwork was awaited. Given that loading freight hadn't finished this seemed a little disingenuous to say the least. At 75 minutes we were told that deicing was required and at 100 minutes we were told a second deicing was required as SOP. At 105 minutes we pushed back and at 125 minutes after scheduled time we rotated. ETA was given as 100 minutes after scheduled.

The male FSM made his announcements and the gentleman in front of me reclined immediately. Fortunately as the table in PE comes out of the seat this didn't impact my knees. Still wish people wouldn't do this until seat belt signs were off. Food service started pretty expeditiously with the offer of a 'full English breakfast' or a vegetarian omelette. Joy of joys, the gentleman in front of me erected his seat for his meal service (reclining again when he'd finished but hey, let's be grateful for small mercies).

To any non English people reading PLEASE rest assured that what you are served is NOT representative of any 'Full English Breakfast' I have EVER had. An acceptable fruit salad preceded the hot portion. A greasy sausage with half a cherry tomato, a small piece of greasy bacon, some lack lustre mushrooms and some very mushy potato slices. At least we THINK they were potato slices - I couldn't tell nor could Mrs D. Come to that neither could the people behind us who were interrogating each other in an 'Animal Vegetable Mineral' way. I followed this with a 'Strawberry/Banana' yoghourt that was LOADED with sugar (well high fructose corn syrup - would you like some Type II Diabetes with that?) and a SWEET granola bar... Sheesh I know they
have calorific guidelines but peeps you can get calories from things other than sugar you know! Mrs D and I made a mental note to bring food on board next time we flew any cabin other than J. Strangely whilst there was a choice of water/juice only with the 'meal' service it was followed with the 'Brandy or Baileys' service. Go Figure. As an aside - pointed out by Mrs D - all trays had orange juice on them; if you asked for Apple Juice you'd get Apple Juice and keep your Orange Juice. If you asked for Orange Juice you'd be pointed to the juice on your tray. Bear this in mind if you want to put a drink aside for later!

30 minutes after the trays were cleared (and Mrs D kipped down using her new eye mask fresh in from Sharper Image and highly recommended) another drinks service started.

At this point it is worth pointing out that the IFE will not be reviewed. In my books there's no point in getting eye strain trying to look at a 4' screen when the person in front is reclined. But for you list queens out there follows a list of films available...

The 40 year old virgin
Wallace and Grommit - The Curse of the Were Rabbit
Sky High
Goal
Hustle and Flow
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Wedding Crashers
The Business

As I type I'm looking squarely at a sign on the bulkhead in front of me that reads 'UPPER CLASS ONLY - for your convenience lavatories are towards the rear of the aircraft'. Well thanks for that VS - I can see how convenient it is for me to have to walk further to get to toilets shared with several hundred more people than walking less distance to share with fewer people in Upper Class. Funnily when flying UC upstairs on the 747 I don't recall a sign telling me that for my convenience I can share PE's toilets at the back of the cabin. PE on a 343 really IS the mutant offspring locked away from public view.

Earlier the FSM had announced the availability of water and juice at all times at the rear galley. A word to the wise mate - tell the FAs that closing the galley curtain so you can apply makeup rather puts the kybosh on that one. But so does not having any drinks laid out so that people have to pour their own. Not a big thing but having been conditioned not to pour one's own at the bar it makes for some negative conditioning ;)

Duty Free service commenced and our side was graced with a pair of giggling amateurs who took 10 minutes to process one simple transaction. Some levity ensued when the FA opposite asked then to check for an F192 on their trolley. This had to be repeated several times until the 9 was understood. They apologised with much giggling. 'Never mind' drolly quipped the FA asking 'Your English is better than my Japanese'. Well yes BUT you know on a US-UK flight the STRONG likelihood is that the lingua fraca will be English so perhaps FLUENCY in English should be a prerequisite not an optional extra? My order was taken and translated into Japanese for the benefit of the least fluent one. Suffice to say that 'Toblerone' seems to be difficult to translate but that miming a triangular piece of chocolate is less so.

The afternoon snack was served and VS really seem to think that junk food is the way to go for their non UC flyers. A choice of chicken/cheese salad on a very small roll, followed by a chocolate cookie (50% fat) and an American ice cream, vanilla ice cream with a 'Chocolate flavor coating with rice'. Again around 50% fat. Tea or coffee offered - again no alcohol.

Landing was no real drama but several UC passengers were left without coats after landing - we really question whether was a trainee crew? Showing how it OUGHT to be done noone was allowed off until ALL UC passengers had disembarked INCLUDING a wheel chair bound member - and this person not last UC off, resulting in a shuffling crocodile of UC/PE passengers behind the said passenger until the corridor widened enough to pass.

Immigration was painless except that the immigration official took exception to having to type my passport number by hand and RIPPED the VS stickers off the back of my passport before offering to throw them away. Grrrrrrrr. We went to the baggage collection and whilst this was good for us it was bad for UC passengers in that we got our clearly labelled PE luggage first! Take that strange EWR check in person! Out of customs and straight to our Addison Lee pickup who had us home in record time by the simple expedient of driving like a maniac! Go that man! Regretfully 24 hour drinking doesn't seem to have hit our Sainsburys Local and I was told off for trying to buy a bottle of booze at 22:40 on a Sunday evening... rum it is I guess as a sleep aid!

Night all - sorry it was a negative one! ;)
#321738 by Scrooge
05 Dec 2005, 01:20
Thx for the TR Decker.

A few notes.

Well the crew need's a little work to say the least,I agree 100%,why put a crew on a flight where they cannot communicate with the pax,as much as I hate to say this,wouldn't there be a saftey issue there?

I seem to remember a few TR's where UC pax were complaining about PE pax using 'their bathrooms'

The great british breakfast,oh how I miss you,it's become a goal of mine to find one out here,the closest I have come is here though they use american bacon[:$][n]
#321744 by mike-smashing
05 Dec 2005, 01:50
Hi Decker, nice one for managing to stay objective while having an unremarkable, middling to poor trip...

One word about the suckyness of the ground crew in EWR: outsourcing.

I echo your feelings about the quality/style of the food in Y/W - Junk Food really sums it up, apart from an occasional good main lunch/dinner meal. Pack it full of additives, make it taste good, and make you feel full.

Even things like the 'fresh fruit' selections they sometimes serve aren't even fresh anymore. They are pre-washed, pre-bagged things, made in some factory days ago.

I was looking at the photos of meals on V-Flyer, and I was absolutely appalled at the contents of the kids meals. Total junk. Sugary, high-fat, heavily processed food, probably packed with additives. How on earth can you expect kids to relax and behave on a tedious 9 hour flight if their systems have been jacked up on sugar and food additives? [;)]

We (as a civilisation) need to stop thinking of and treating food as just 'fuel'... take time over eating, and remember that food it's something to be enjoyed as well.

I really hate those OJ cuplets! [V]

In fact, I hate how they assume everyone drinks OJ. I can't, because the acidity destroys my insides. I just wish they had a decent selection of cartoned fruit drinks they would serve with breakfasts - people could get something more to their preference, would cut down on waste, and all that crazy packaging. The stuff in those cuplets is also pure evil, in any case - usually nasty artificially sweetened muck! [}:)]

Interestingly, a friend flew in J on the VS19 on the 1st Dec, and he got delayed getting off the aircraft by the 'hunt the coat' game, to the point that he ended up one of the last off.

I wonder if you got a UKIS officer I once had? He also fastidiously peeled all the stickers off the back my passport as well before letting me back in the UK! I don't much like being stickered anyway, so he saved me job!

As I said, nice TR despite it being a mediocre flight, it really shows how wide the gap can be between the front and back of the bus, even between J and W, and reminds us that it could be possible to improve the W cabin service without de-valuing J.

Cheers!
Mike
#321756 by iforres1
05 Dec 2005, 09:38
Hi Decker and thanks for the TR. A mixed bag really in all depts.

As for the gent who reclined his chair after the PA announcement, I'm with him on that one. I do it all the time. Sometimes the SB sign can stay on a long time. I always bring forward for meal services, but after, its back to recline. Don't really see what your beef is on that one, after all we all pays our money.

Anyway glad you and Mrs D are back safe.

Iain
#321757 by Wolves27
05 Dec 2005, 09:44
Ah PE on a 343. My first experience was that, amazing I stuck with it. think it was all new and exciting at the time.
Two trip reports Decker, enlightrning as ever!

Dean
#321761 by HighFlyer
05 Dec 2005, 10:08
Great reading Decker as always!! - Just a shame it wasnt such a great flight for you and Mrs D [:(]
#321763 by locutus
05 Dec 2005, 10:40
Originally posted by Decker

As I type I'm looking squarely at a sign on the bulkhead in front of me that reads 'UPPER CLASS ONLY - for your convenience lavatories are towards the rear of the aircraft'. Well thanks for that VS - I can see how convenient it is for me to have to walk further to get to toilets shared with several hundred more people than walking less distance to share with fewer people in Upper Class.

Maybe VS can install card readers at the curtain, and gold card holders swipe their card to get to the Upper Class lavs. [:D]
#321774 by Wolves27
05 Dec 2005, 12:28
Thats not as silly as it sounds! [i]

Dean
#321779 by Scrooge
05 Dec 2005, 12:56
Originally posted by Wolves27

Dean

yes it is and btw Decker I wasn't pointing fingers at you,just a general ob...and your right,why should a person paying more have to walk the distance of the plane.
#321785 by mitchja
05 Dec 2005, 13:31
Another good TR thanks [:)]

Oh the dreaded Arcadia A343's [n]

Regards
#321798 by JAT74L
05 Dec 2005, 14:14
Hmm, other than the crappy food and giggly FA's it sounds like you were just plain pissed off not being in UC!

To regular EC travellers PE is a treat, to regular UC travellers I can see that it certainly is not!

Regards

John
#321805 by iforres1
05 Dec 2005, 14:42
Originally posted by jetwet1

Dean

and your right,why should a person paying more have to walk the distance of the plane.

Because he not paying as much as the people who are the other side of the curtain, that's why. Now if your asking why don't PE have their own toilet, that's one for VS.

Iain

Iain
#321816 by Decker
05 Dec 2005, 16:25
Thanks for the feedback and now I'm rested I feel a little more able to look at the whole thing objectively! I think that the REALLY bad start from the Ground Staff did little to presdispose me to viewing things positively and I think that sitting at the gate for an extra 2 hours doubtless did little for the food. I don't think that the food is particularly healthy and I don't see why the meals provided can't be nutritionally balanced but perhaps this is what passengers want? I think that the communications problems were an annoyance not a major issue. So in summary there's a strong chance that as this was my first non UC flight in a while I may have been spoilt! So good call John! I'd better get used to it though as I intend to spend more leisure time in the US next year at weekends so won't be able to afford UC all the time!

JetwetCommunication is unlikely to be an issue in an emergency as my recollection of emergency drill has people at the doors repeated shouting the same stock phrases. I suspect this was just me being tetchy. It's likely I'd be one of the ones complaining about people using UC toilets though so as Iain points out it's down to cabin design. I don't think PE passengers should have to walk further than Y passengers to use the bathroom. So the bathroom should be between Y and PE as well as at the back. Regretfully cabin design makes this too hard on the 343 and as I've acknowledged upstairs on the 747 the UC pax could make the same complaint!

Mike thanks for that! As I explained above I just don't believe that it couldn't be made more balanced. Your point about hyperactivity was one I actually made to Mrs D on the flight! Doubt it was the same officer as there was no fastidious peel, it was a rapid rip!

IainMy beef (such as it is) was that I was under the impression that whilst the SB signs were on you were meant to keep the seats in the upright position. In case of an emergency that could cost seconds and possibly lives? I don't have a problem with people using recline - they pay for it and it part of the normal operation of the seat. I'd PREFER that people use courtesy and wait for meal service clearance, but I'd prefer that people said 'please' and 'thank you' too. My preference for courtesy from fellow pax is simply that - a preference.

Dean thanks - see y'all soon!

Sarah thanks! It wasn't AWFUL it was just that most of what was wrong with it was avoidable! [;)]

Locutus Cute - but don't encourage my superiority complex - it's bad enough already!

James How quickly we get spoilt [:)]

John As acknowledged above - very close to the mark! [:)]
#321818 by iforres1
05 Dec 2005, 16:41

IainMy beef (such as it is) was that I was under the impression that whilst the SB signs were on you were meant to keep the seats in the upright position. In case of an emergency that could cost seconds and possibly lives? I don't have a problem with people using recline - they pay for it and it part of the normal operation of the seat. I'd PREFER that people use courtesy and wait for meal service clearance, but I'd prefer that people said 'please' and 'thank you' too. My preference for courtesy from fellow pax is simply that - a preference.

Hi Decker,

Seat must be in recline for only take off and landing,or as instructed by cabin crew. There is no need for seats to be upright at any other part of the flight regardless of seat belt sign or not.
This is my understanding of it, so could be well of the mark. Maybe some crew could advise if different. During turbulence it is not a requirement so....

As for meal service clearance yep I agree, but then as you say its courtesy, not mandatory.
I have seen crew ask PAX to put there seat up during meal service so there is hope yet[:D]

By the way, you do seem at bit mellower now[:w]

Iain
#321819 by mike-smashing
05 Dec 2005, 16:55
It's really the lack of parity between the PE service you get on the 744 upper deck and that offered on other aircraft configurations which is the root of the problem with the W offering on the Airbus fleet (especially the 343).

A dedicated FA for the PE cabin, and either dedicated (or closer by) lavs would go a long way to equalising the service, I think.

I also don't see what's so hard about EmPowering all the PE cabin on all aircraft as they next go through refurb/refit.

Mike
#321821 by Decker
05 Dec 2005, 17:06
Iain - apologies - I meant during the takeoff phase. Now of course I can find FAA regs requiring this BUT I cannot find a definition of when takeoff actually finishes? Can you recline the moment all wheels are off the ground for example?

My mood is much less foul now [:D]
#321827 by Scrooge
05 Dec 2005, 17:53
Originally posted by iforres1
Originally posted by jetwet1

Dean

and your right,why should a person paying more have to walk the distance of the plane.

Because he not paying as much as the people who are the other side of the curtain, that's why. Now if your asking why don't PE have their own toilet, that's one for VS.

Iain

Iain

That is what I was trying to say,another case of english being my first langauge and me having a problem with it.[:I]
#321828 by JAT74L
05 Dec 2005, 17:56
I could sense you were bordering on seething when you wrote that Decks...

I've stopped writing my TR's as soon as I get back and give myself a day to wake up and cool off - not unless of course it's all good!

Regards

John

PS I must say from the photo's I've seen the 343 PE cabin looks particularly rancid when compared to the upper deck on a 744!
#321898 by onionz
06 Dec 2005, 01:45
Thanks for the reports Decker, you've done a great job of warning me off the 343 (in fact, i've only ever been on a 747 with VS, so count myself lucky).

It's funny how the general consensus on this board was heading towards 'J food sucks, Y/W food is surprisingly good', and now you've pointed us back in the direction that, intuitively, makes more sense (cheaper food = greater requirement for artificial enhancers?).

Optimistic note: unless you travel Y, you will almost certainly have a more enjoyable flight next time!
#321899 by JAT74L
06 Dec 2005, 01:50
Yes - what about a vote for Decker to fly Y BOTH WAYS on his next trip and HE donates the difference in fare from J to charity?????

John
#321900 by mike-smashing
06 Dec 2005, 01:51
Quick followup to the outbound VS01 UC reported earlier this week. Mrs D reminds me that Carlos was only handed out one side of the plane (not ours) and that there were no chocolates on the bar. Mrs D asked for them and to give the FSM credit she did go off and find them but they were a shadow of their former selves - little square pieces not Roses or those other filled ones we've been seeing more recently.

Yeah, they had dropped down to little chocolate squares you sometimes get with coffee or on your pillow in a hotel on my last flight too.

Compared to what we used to get, it really does seem cheap. I really liked the Lily O'Briens they used to carry before the Rococo truffles, which were in turn replaced by simple chocolate 'pastilles' or 'chicchi di caffe', and now with squares (which I think are still Rococo).

Upper Class is still good, but these sort of changes really are noticeable to the regular pax.

Mike
#321901 by JAT74L
06 Dec 2005, 01:52
Decker... Decker... Decker...Decker...!

[^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]

John!
#321908 by ChuckC
06 Dec 2005, 04:16
Decker,
Well, that was quite a report. Sorry it happened to you, the seasoned traveler, but the odds are these things happen more frequently to people who fly alot. No revelation there, but you at least have provided VS with plentiful, as we say in the human resources world, 'opportunities.'

By the way, did you have fun on your trip?

Best regards and hope to catch up with you soon,
Chuck-
#321918 by Mavrick
06 Dec 2005, 08:48
Another great T.R. Decker straight to the point.[:D]
#322038 by buns
06 Dec 2005, 22:31
Decker

Thanks for the very captivating TR[y][y]

As I read it I thought 'surely it can't get any worse' but I was of course wrong.

Any one of those annoyances could have been rectified by the next member of staff you came into contact with, adding that extra something that so many VS staff seem to be able to convey with ease.

Best put this one down to expereince and hope your next encounter does not send you loking elsewhwere[:?][:?]

reards to Mrs D

buns
Virgin Atlantic