Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239284 by Jon B
05 Dec 2005, 13:39
So to the return flight......

Completed OLCI at the hotel, spent the day out on the Lower East Side
and the Village, finished some last minute shopping at Macy's and then back to our hotel on 35th St to wait for the transfer back to JFK. Transfer arrived spot on time at 19:30 and we were at JFK by just gone 20:15. No Bag drop so had to join the end of a VERY long line to check in.

Just over an hour later we got to the desk..... Agent looked somewhat flustered so we advised her that we had used OLCI and she broke into a smile as she said 'Well at least you'll be on this flight'. I asked her what she meant and she advised us that they were just about to close the flight off and that only people who had confirmed via OLCI were going to get on. Behind us there were still 30 or so people!!!

By the time we had passed through security the gate had been announced so we made our way straight there.

No surprise that announcements were made that anyone who wished to leave this flight and fly out on the first service in the morning should make themselves known as Virgin had a 'very special offer for them'. Gave it a few seconds thought, but as the Kids were expecting us back by early afternoon the next day and both Mrs B and I were so dog tired having walked most of Manhattan, that unless VS were offering U.C accomodation on the flight next day + compensation + paying off my mortgage + a final salary pension - then we wouldn't take them up on it [:D]

Two or three couples did make the change and seemed quite happy doing so, so maybe the mortgage / pension deal was offered.....Doh!

Anyway, boarded G-VAIR 343 (again - same aircraft as outbound) and settled back. Wheels up just after 23:10 and back to the usual G&T's.
Food came shortly afterwards - Routine Beef / Chicken and Vegetarian option. I had the Beef again, which was once again surprisingly good, Mrs B had the Chicken having decided that the Vegetarian option was just too much of a risk after the outbound flight!.

Watched 'The Island' on the IFE and drifted off for just over 4 hours sleep. Woke just as breakfast was being served - all in all the flight went so quickly - normally get 1 or 2 hours sleep max.

Touched down at just before 11.00 and had to wait 20 minutes in a holding area while a gate was freed up.

Back in the car by 12:50 and home by 14:30 - A great little break in NYC and can't wait to go back!
#321794 by Decker
05 Dec 2005, 13:56
Nice one Jon! Thanks for that - as has frequently been said we don't get enough reports from the back of the bus so it is nice to see two in quick succession! Did you find out what the problem with the bag drop was?
#321801 by Jon B
05 Dec 2005, 14:29
Apparently not enough staff to operate the bag drop that night - according to the Check In agent.

Only half the desks appeared to be in use - Didn't take that any further though as we were just glad to get on the flight in the end.
#321979 by Mavrick
06 Dec 2005, 17:23
Nice T.R.[y] Jon glad[:D] you had a good time in the big apple.[:D]
#322032 by buns
06 Dec 2005, 22:09
Jon

Thanks once again for the 'rear window' view[y][y]

that unless VS were offering U.C accomodation on the flight next day + compensation + paying off my mortgage + a final salary pension - then we wouldn't take them up on it

LOL - if only, there would be a lot of v.rich V-Flyers about[;)][;)]

buns
Virgin Atlantic