Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239379 by robandgill
12 Dec 2005, 23:27
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Was dropped to the departures door by the limo at round 4.5 hours before departure. A bit early I know but we had the drop off time pulled back due to the heavy snow in New Jersey the night before. In any case I was glad to be there early, I was booked in PE and had been chasing flying club for weeks for a confirmed upgrade for a first upper class trip with no success.

I was first in the PE checkin queue, which eventually opened about 3.5 hours prior to departure. What followed was a complete shambles. I presented the necessary documentation to the checkin agent and immediately enquired about a miles upgrade. The agent wasn't sure what to do and engaged in a conversation with her supervisor. I was then informed that I probably could but I would need to join the ticket sales queue, which I did. I then stood in the queue for ticket sales for at least 25minutes while another customer was served. Meanwhile in the upper class queue, several FC Au holders also were requesting and succeeding in getting miles/pay upgrades, including those from non-upgradable (assume K) fares. This caused some fretting on my part. On finally reaching the ticket sales agent was sent me straight back to the PE checkin agent as apparently I should have never been in the ticket sales queue in the first place. Then after a call to FC which seemed to take forever, I finally had my upper class boarding pass.

Beat straight down to the EWR Clubhouse where the service was first-class. I was barely seated when my drink order was taken. I chose to eat in the clubhouse where a buffet of steak, shrimp and various sides was offered along with another few drinks.

The flight was delayed about 1hour and we ended up boarding around 22:00 (scheduled departure 21:25). Priority boarding proceeded smoothly. Cabin crew were around straight away explaining seat operation and taking orders for the flight. Boarding was complete quickly and we were soon on our way.

Crew around swiftly after take-off with drinks order. Knocked back a glass of the new australian shiraz that is being served in UC. Pretty good I thought. Decided then to maximise sleep/rest needed and get down to bed straight away for the short 6hour flight. Slept/rested pretty well, certainly better than any seat i have sat in on a plane and was wakened 90 mins before landing for OJ and bacon roll. The only IFE I used was the skymap when I woke up.

Didn't end up orbiting london for too long but ended up on a remote stand at LHR, so took a little longer to collect bags. Unfortunately on this occasion didn't have a chance to sample revivals, as was being collected by friends.

All in all, pretty good first UC experience, think might have withdrawal symptoms already.

Robert
#322603 by HighFlyer
13 Dec 2005, 00:16
Aah ... your on the slippery slope now to UCS-itus you know!!

Glad you had a great trip and that (in the end) you bagged your upgrades! So ... wheres the next trip in Upper taking you?? hehe [:)]
#322607 by robandgill
13 Dec 2005, 01:28
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Aah ... your on the slippery slope now to UCS-itus you know!!

Glad you had a great trip and that (in the end) you bagged your upgrades! So ... wheres the next trip in Upper taking you?? hehe [:)]

well we are off to antigua in january as it stands in PE [:w]

but you know how it is with VH and miles + the problem is it was only me travelling back from NYC, Gillian, the other half, is getting a little jealous. Especially when provided with a more detailed TR.

Failing that good use of accumulated miles may be spent on west coast US trip.

robert
#322635 by ChuckC
13 Dec 2005, 14:22
Robert,
Sounds like the only problem you encountered was with the 'faux' Virgin employee. Otherwise a good journey. My first flight on VS was VS2.

By the way, if you find yourself turning left whenever you enter doorways, that pretty much confirms you have acquired the 'pointy bit' predilection![8D][:D]

Regards,
Chuck-
#322691 by buns
13 Dec 2005, 22:00
Robert

Thanks for the TR[y]

Glad you managed to get the miles upgrade - there is a unique sense of pleasure whn that happens at the airport isn't it[?] I was lucky to blag a miles upgrade on the way back from the Vegas Socail and I must admit to being chuffed to bits.

Good to hear that the EWR CH service was up to scratch

Thanks once again
#322718 by Mavrick
14 Dec 2005, 09:10
Good T.R.[y] glad you managed to get your upgrade and glad you enjoyed U.C[:D].
Virgin Atlantic